Serves meat, veg options available. Daily buffet until 2.30pm features many vegetarian dishes. The restaurant has a huge vegan celebration in April that includes a 16 course meal. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Bob W
CharTalk
CharTalk

Nice Owner; Food not so good

2 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

I hesitated to give this restaurant a "2" because the owner was so nice and the staff so attentive. However, this is the worse Indian food I've ever eaten and I really can't recommend it to TripAdvisor readers.

I love Indian food and have eaten it in many cities as well as in the home of friends. This food was slightly below adequate. We ordered the Vegetable Sampler as an appetizer. The breading on the vegetables was heavy and had absorbed too much oil. The spring rolls were so brown they were almost burnt.

I ordered the vindaloo as an entree. The dish did not have well balanced seasoning. It had too much vinegar which overpowered the other seasonings.

My husband's Makhani was much better, but that could not compensate for the other dishes.

On the plus side there were many Vegan options and portions were large.

Pros: Attentive staff, Many vegan options, Large portion sizes
Cons: Food is not very good
escanny
escanny

Love it

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

I love this place, especially the lunch buffet! They have many vegan options and the owners are great at helping out if you don't know which dishes are vegan or not. I've never left this restaurant unsatisfied with the food or service!

veganmiss
veganmiss

Love This Place

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

Another great place for vegetarians is Gateway to India. They have a weekday lunch buffet that is cheap, good, and they let you know what's vegan and what is not. The mint chutney is not vegan, to note! There are a number of vegetarian and vegan options. To start, one could go with vegetable samosa, pakora, salad, or dal soup. For entree's, I like the mango vegetable, green masaala vegetable, almond vegetable, baingan bharta, or the mushroom masaala waala. One can go with roti or garlic naan without butter for a side. They also have a killer fresh mango juice and organic, vegan wine. This is a place to take someone out on a date, I think. It has a lovely atmosphere (but quiet) which would be terribly romantic!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/08/vegan-springfield-il-part-one.html

Pros: knowledge wait staff, vegan friendly, lunch buffet

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good Indian Food

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

I ate here a few years ago and have never forgotten it. The aloo gobi was really good and perfectly spiced. The staff members were friendly and understood what the vegan diet entails. I will definitely return if I'm in the area. Typically I'd rate this as a 3, but given the options in the area 4 is sufficient.

XVeganSxeX
XVeganSxeX

Great atmosphere and great service!

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

I go hear at least once a week for lunch or dinner. On the lunch buffet there is always at least 3 vegan options. For dinner almost every dish can be prepared to vegan standards. One of the only places in Springfield that actually knows what the term vegan means. I'm always greeted with a smile and the food is always fresh and delicious.

Pros: Service, Atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Pricey
ryancthompson
ryancthompson

. . .

3 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2010

i went for the first time during their "new year" celebration diner. everything was brought out and served on a banana leaf, it was really something for a restaraunt in springfield, il. Its also one of the only restaraunts in springfield that knows the word "vegan" and can make sure you get exactly what your looking for without a whole lot of explaining or pretending to have food allergies.

Bob W
Bob W

Excellent Food

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2009

The food is excellent and not too spicy. Some Indian food for me is too spicy. The buffet is a great value and allows you to sample various different dishes and flavors.

Pros: excellent food, not too spicy, buffet cost is reasonable

Dear Owner and Manager of Gateway To India: