Vegetarian Chinese restaurant in a relaxed space. Mostly vegan menu features an extensive selection of mockmeats entrees, with all dishes made from vegetables, gluten, konnyaku, tofu, mushrooms, or nuts. Specialty is the vege fish. Has bargain weekday lunch specials. Food is cooked to order. No garlic or onion. Quick service. Complimentary hot tea served. Prices cheap to moderate. Parking available. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out
6117 Reseda Blvd (Oxnard)
Tarzana, California 91335
818-881-8886
Closed now

Mon-Sat 11:30am-9:30pm

First Review by The Veggie Cook
JeffBar
JeffBar

My favorite restaurant in the greater LA area

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

Great food, friendly owners, good sized portions. Try the Tomato "Beef": its awesome! It's a bit out of the way for most people, but worth the drive (and not far from the 101). Very nice inside, although not fancy, and pretty pedestrian outside (think strip mall.) We've been going there for years now, and it is consistently excellent.

Pros: Excellent food!, Good sized portions, Nice friendly owners
MatthewConarroe
MatthewConarroe

fantastic vegan Chinese.

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

Always delicious. Wonderful family owned restaurant. Large portions for the price. Worth the trip to the valley.

Lily Bug
Lily Bug

Best Vegan Chinese in LA

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

Wonton Soup is AMAZING. This family run restaurant does it right - from the healthy food to the friendly service. Most entrees can be made oil free. Dine or carry out available.

Pros: Healthy Cuisine, Friendly Staff, Excellent Food

Chia
Chia

Good Food Friendly Owners

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and have eaten here on several occasions. Here's my Garden Wok review.

The owners are a friendly Chinese couple who welcome all diners with smiles and complimentary hot tea. The menu is extensive though many items contain a kind of mock meat (fish, chicken, beef, etc.). You could ask for tofu or veggies instead if you don't want mock meat.

Most food items here DO NOT contain MSG, but if an ingredient was brought in from outside, then there might be - just ask.

During the week, there is a bargain value lunch special menu with over 10 choices of main dish, each comes with a single serving soup, rice, and wonton or fried spring roll.

We like: in-house vege fish with hot bean sauce, steam dumplings, fried spring rolls, fried tofu, stir fry vegetables, and brown rice. The owners make their own vege fish with bean curd and seaweed, and it is the BEST.

Garden Wok is a good place to go for Chinese food when in the San Fernando Valley are. Check it out.

Pros: friendly owners, bargain lunch specials, made-to-order hot food
bwolmarans
bwolmarans

fastest vegan food in the west

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

you won't get piping hot chinese food delivered to your table any faster than at Garden Wok.
Service with a smile.

Pros: great choices
Cons: no teriyaki chicken
SharonaLA
SharonaLA

Favorite restaurant of all

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2011

We would live at this restaurant if we could. Owners are super friendly. Orange chicken, cashew chicken are the best. Get the complete dinner or lunch special if possible. Weekends are a little busy and crazy.

dancingvegan
dancingvegan

Yummy

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

My first time here. Very nice ambience. Sit-down type of restaurant w/ wait staff attending. Very good service. I had the vegan cream cheese won tons and the spring rolls w/ plum sauce. SO SO yummy!!!

Pros: Reasonable prices, Good food, Good portions
Colinski
Colinski

Good vegan Chinese

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

Although not 100% vegan, I believe most of their offerings are so and those that aren't are noted clearly. It's nice to be able to have Chinese food since mainstream Chinese cuisine is a risky proposition for vegans and even vegetarians. This is a Buddhist-run place with lots of free reading material on Buddhism to keep you entertained while you wait for your food, which doesn't take long. Everything I've had here has been good. They also have a dim sum menu, which I am excited to try one of these days. It's been a while since I have been able to have dim sum.

Pros: Fast service, Friendly staff, Good parking
Guest

The best food I probably have ever ate.

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2009

Their vegan cream cheese wong tongs are amazing, they taste like real cheese. Their drumsticks are amazing as well. The best Chinese food I ever had. I am so glad my dad decided to take me there and he liked it as much as I did and he loves meat. Although I wish it was closer to me, I live about almost fifty miles away.

Pros: Clean facility., Delicious food.
Cons: close on Mondays.
Antonio
Antonio
  • non-vegetarian

Good, good.

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2009

I went there on 03/28/2009 and I just love it!! great food, great service !!!

Pros: great food , great service, quiet place
cuteleticia77
cuteleticia77

excellent food and service

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2008

Not only is the food delicious, but the restaurant is run by a family that really know what customer service means.

Pros: great flavor, variety, prices
erbavore
erbavore

I'm usually a critic

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

Usually I am a critic whenever I go out to eat. Very few places have received a RAVING 5 COWS from me. Yet Garden Wok has absolutely deserved it. The sweet and sour pork is a tough dish to perfect, yet 3 hours later I still have a taste of it on my tongue. Great work Garden Wok.

They also had some nice books on Buddhism. The one I read was very touching. With Love, Erb Avore

Pros: Food, Price, Food
Cons: It was a simple restaurant

Fantastic! Great Price & Service 6/6/08

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2008

The restaurant is very "mom & pop" - the service is fantastic. The food is fresh & superb.
My boyfriend & I have been there 5 times in 5 months (thanks to Happy Cow). He is a meat eater & loves the sizzling 'steak'.
I get the eggplant in brown sauce which I am addicted to, the flavor is incredible. We split a Big brown rice ($4ish).
We sometimes split the appetizer combo (7.95 i think) which has approx 10-11 good sized variety pieces ('shrimp' 'drumsticks' cucumber salad & something else) & each get a soup (we're stuffed after).
The soups are great: 'wonton' or creamy corn are our fav's (1.75 small bowl 4.50ish big bowl). The portions are generous.
Each item is $6-$8ish.
The tea is complimentary & very good.
We cannot spend $40 total if we tried.
They are located in a little strip of 5 or 6 other businesses which are all closed when we go for dinner so there is a nice well lit empty parking lot. They are less than a mile from the 101 on Reseda Blvd.
They are closed on Mondays. The only thing I can complain about is - I wish they delivered =)

Pros: Price, Parking, Service
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Love the steamed buns

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2008

I went with my LA Happycow group and had a great time! The food was all outstanding. Definitely go with a few people so you can order a bunch of stuff and share. I got to sample a lot more items and would have never guessed their vegan fish was so good! Its made in house out of bean curd so its nothing freaky like I'd have expected otherwise! Can't wait to go back!

The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Friendly, Quick, and Good

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2008

A group of us came here for lunch yesterday. We ordered a bunch of food to share and walked away belly full and satisfied.

The ambiance is very nice with white table cloth, air conditioning, and pleasant atmosphere. The owner couple who run this place were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed free hot tea with our meal.

I especially liked their signature vege fish (rolled sheets of beancurd wrapped in seaweed and lightly fried to crispy on the outside), the wonton soup, and the sizzling tofu plate.

Would definitely return when in the area. Recommended.

Pros: inexpensive, good portions, friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Garden Wok: