Garden Grille Cafe

Vegetarian cafe providing food with world influences. Has Sunday brunch. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Juice bar, International, American, Pizza

First Review by will-travel-for-food
Growvegan
Growvegan

great restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

Delicious vegetarian food!

Pros: seasonal menu
Cons: wish it was vegan, they should have an oil free salad dressing
apuerini
apuerini

Best!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2014

agree with other reviewer. This is my favorite veg restaurant in RI. Great service - really cool kids. The food never disappoints. Delicious, nutritious, creative and a chef who will share recipes! Great organic beers. And right next door is their vegan bakery - very dangerous place - you will always leave with lots more than you went in for!! Garden Grille was the first real veg restaurant in RI and is still the best. Lunch, dinner, counter and table service.

Pros: creative, delicious, , service
Cons: can't get in sometimes!, No reservations
elephantelizabeth
elephantelizabeth

Favorite restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

The Garden Grille has never disappointed me. There is a reason why I go every week. To start, the chipotle seitan is out of this world!! I almost always order the special for the night because I know it will be hard to get again. Whatever it is, it is always delicious. Be on the look out for fried green tomatoes during tomato season (delicious). Their gluten free and vegan mac and cheese is sooo yummy. Whatever you order you will be happy with. Garden Grille knows how to prepare and present a dish. The staff is always so friendly and make the experience even better. They love to talk to you and they always seem to be helping each other out. The atmosphere is beautiful inside. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you will not be disappointed or be left feeling hungry.

Pros: Everything
Michellemarra
Michellemarra

Hard to find, but worth the hunt!

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

I just had their smoked tofu BLT and it was out of this world. I will go back just for that sandwich alone. They smoke their own tofu which make s a big difference in the flavor.. IThe bread was whole grain too.

The salad my daughter and I shared was a standout also. It had mangos, avocados, greens and a super dressing.

Just one storefront down is their vegan bakery, Wildflower. Save room.

Pros: Tasty dishes, Good prices, Lots of options
Cons: Hard to find
alyssax3
alyssax3

Not too shabby

3 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

My meateating boyfriend has tried to take me (a vegan) to this place on numerous occasions but for one reason or another it only worked out once. The first time was due to valentine's day reservation-only if I'm not mistaken. They second attempt was poor timing- when we arrived they were closed for an hour or two to set up for lunch and we were too hungry to wait. Finally we got to go! Very cute inside! The bar is designed like a tree- super cool. They serve vegan alcohol which was a plus! I expecting the lunch menu which I was looking forward to because of the soups but we missed it (completely our fault). We weren't as impressed with the dinner menu but I think it was just for our taste- especially my boyfriend, he said there was too many things he wasn't familiar with. He got the ceasar salad and I got the pumpkin tostada. There was a list of the ingredients under the entree name and it seemed to list all the toppings, so I assumed by the looks of it, it was vegan. Upon getting my food I realized it had cheese on it. This was no ones fault, I should have double checked to assure it was vegan, but its something to look out for. Anyways, my boyfriends meal happened to be vegan so we switched. The food was definitely rather tasty. I would go back again but probably for lunch, or I would check the menu online before hand. But like I said, it was just due to our taste- it could be wonderful for you!

Pros: Cool atmosphere, Alcohol
Cons: Not super clear menus

Parasol
Parasol

Delicious and Friendly!

4 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

I travelled to Rhode Island to visit a friend and she took me to Garden Grille. What a great meal we had! We were there around noon on a weekday and the place was hopping. After about ten minutes we got a seat. The staff was very friendly and the menu is extensive. Lots of great options for vegans, the all-vegan dessert menu is impressive! Definitely check this place out, they also have a vegan bakery in the same strip mall a few doors down. (This restaurant is in a strip mall but has none of the feeling of being in a strip mall so don't let that deter you.)

Pros: Delicious food, Extensive menu, Great staff
Loulou
Loulou

Couple of raw options

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2011

A really nice restaurant with plenty of parking. We called in here as part of our RAW tour of the NE USA. Although they didn't have many raw options we had the gaspacho and 'Reggie's Raw Heaven' plate which where both satisfying. We went to the Wildflower Bakery a few doors away for desserts.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Great place

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2011

(Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 31, 2011)

We came here again to try our luck and it proved to be more satisfactory. Got in much earlier for dinner this time; place not as busy, kitchen seemed more efficient, and food portions were bigger too. I saw the burgers we got last time looking much nicer this time; side fries and salad were also more substantial.

For food we had the tempeh cakes for appetizer. The outside was nicely charred, but texture was rather mushy; taste was alright, seemed to come from the same base as the hearts of palm burgers. Then we got the quesadillas, which were yummy and filling, good enough for two persons to share. The miso eggplant was so-so; the chickpeas that came with it were very good though.

Having only one restroom is certainly not convenient during the busy hours. There was a bit of a wait at times and hanging around the kitchen entrance waiting was a little awkward.

First experience was a 3.5 cows, this time a solid 4. Worth checking out when you are around.

----------------

Came here for dinner with my partner. We had the cornmeal-crusted tempeh off the specials and the hearts of palm burger recommended by our server because we couldn't decide on the second entree.

We liked the tempeh better. The burger was not bad at all and the patty actually reminded me of salmon; the bun was thick and crusty but white, would be better if it was whole grain. I found the side salad/fries/vegetables that came with both entrees bit scanty and not very well prepared.

Place was busy and kitchen got slow. Given all the positive reviews, maybe it just happened to be one of those bad evenings? Will come back and see.

Pros: tasty food, good portions
Cons: kitchen can get slow, only one restroom
nardanddee
nardanddee

Two Thumbs Up!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

I was only in town for the day and wanted some comfort food badly. Thank the Lord for Garden Grille. I had the nachos and they were out of this world! Wish my photos would upload...the pix will blow your mind.

Pros: large portions, good prices, good variety
travegan
travegan

Garden Grille Cafe - pleasant surprise

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

I am never disappointed with an experience at the Garden Grille. The Smoky Tofu BLT is absolutely sublime. The cheesecake will rival any non-veg version. I look forward to any trip out to the area.

Pros: Excellent food, healthy, friendly staff
Cons: can get crowded
tatsbyvixen
tatsbyvixen

awesome

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2011

I have never had a had experience at garden grille. Their vegan Mac and cheeze is so a
Amazingly delicious. Prices aren't too bad,but so worth the consistency. Great atmosphere and staff as well.

kero734
kero734

definitely check it out

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

I am a HUGE fan of the Garden Grille now...I see the below negative reviews and think they occurred around the iffy time for the restaurant...I avoided the place for awhile because I kept being disappointed. HOWEVER- the past 12 times or so I've visited I've had nothing but amazing experiences- the staff is super friendly, the orders are consistently delicious, and the quality of the food makes me feel like I'm dining in an upscale gourmet restaurant. It is worth the wait on a busy night- especially enjoy the tempeh spring rolls and chipotle seitan...and I've had several of the entree specials that blew me away. Must visit!

Pros: friendly staff, cozy environment, mouthwatering options
X10
X10

Don't miss it!!

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2010

I am a vegan-leaning vegetarian who is lucky enough to live right up the street from this wonderful restaurant. The food is delicious. Even my non-veggie friends like to go there, which is a big plus. They have a good mix of vegetarian and vegan items. They don't go crazy with meat and cheese substitutes on the menu, which I really like because I'm not a huge fan of them. I can honestly say that I have never eaten anything there I didn't like. Specials change constantly and are always awesome. Service and ambiance are good. Prices are reasonable, especially for lunch. I've actually never tried the smoothies or juices, but they have a huge selection for those out there who are into that sort of thing. I also can't comment on desserts because I've never had it (always too full from dinner), but they are all vegan.

Krutolow
Krutolow

Fantastic in Pawtucket? Who'd a thunk it?

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

See the full review at Marty's Vegetarian Review; www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com

I love these "who would have thunk?" places and Pawtucket definitely falls into that category.

I "Happy Cowed", well, actually I use Vegout on my iPhone, but this place came up and their website has a picture of some amazing looking soups so it was either that or trying some veggies at a sub shop.

It's great when we are at a place for a few hours and the place where we park has a crew car for us. Landmark at North Central did and the service was great. Unfortunately sometimes we can't buy gas or order any services to support that business but they do get a ramp fee and I'm happy to spend the company's money that way. Off we went through the backroads of Northern Providence.

I drove by the place at first. Then the other way I saw the address on a sign in a strip mall and turned in.

A beautiful place yet functional, bar and booths and tables. And the amazing thing? All filled. All busy.
Folks, this place is in a strip mall sandwiched in between a Pizza joint and a chinese restaurant, (and another eatery) and this was the place, according to Natalie our waitress, usually has a line out of the door.

What you can't see is that every seat in the booths along the right side was filled and every seat in the window behind me and along the wall to the left was filled.

I love apps and I really enjoy sharing food which sometimes, on the road, depending on who your with, isn't viable. We're sitting at the table (in our uniforms), and Natalie suggested we share some entrees and although we did end up doing that my answer to her, with a smile of course was, "Uhm, we're not married you know." Some guys are funny that way. I couldn't care less. The more tastes of different stuff the better.

Anyway, back to the apps. If you don't want to eat this picture there's something seriously wrong with you.

That is a salted bowl of Edamame and I got the Chipotle Glazed Seitan with the Wasabi Dipping sauce.
This reminded me more of an Asian dish than Mexican spiced but it was like eating fried sweet and sour chinese food from my PV days. (Note to self, tell people about new abbreviations before you use them. PV= Pre veg). I found it more sweet and honey-ish than spicy but the wasabi cleared m...

Pros: Great food, Great environment
Cons: it's not a chain and should be
VegansArePeopleToo
VegansArePeopleToo

Can't wait to visit again

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2010

Fantastic. As a chef and longtime vegan I was absolutely thrilled with this restaurant. The food was fresh, flavorful and filling. We had the tempeh spring rolls (baked, not fried) with pickled vegetables, smoothies, the Santa Fe burger, the falafel wrap and desserts. The desserts were a little underwhelming (in comparison to Cafe Sunflower in Atlanta), but everything else was really great. Certainly rivals Candle Cafe in NYC for best vegetarian restaurant I've visited. Oh, and it didn't hurt that they played Bob Dylan the entire time we were there. Wish we lived closer.

Pros: Flavor, Freshness
Cons: Variety is a little thin, Good, though unspectacular desserts
juniper
juniper

we love this place

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2010

my boyfriend and i are both vegans, and we go here all the time. never for lunch, unfortunately, just dinner. the service is always good, but it's not outstanding. the food is definitely outstanding! there are so many vegan options, and all of the ones i've tried have been awesome. i haven't tried the mixed grill, which one reviewer gave a negative review about. i actually asked my waiter about whether or not i should get the mixed grill the last time i was there, and he said "it's nothing special." but i'm sure there are some diners out there that it would appeal to. garden grill has tons of vegan desserts. my boyfriend and i joke around that they are "suspiciously good!" unlike the vegan desserts at julian's that make you wish you hadn't spent the money. great beer selection. AND a juice bar... i mean, really you can't get much better than this.

Pros: JUICE BAR, lots of vegan food, consistent service and good food
Cons: moderately pricey but worth it, no french fries on menu
akarnauk
akarnauk

Overrated

2 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

Every time we go here we have been more and more disappointed. This time ordered the mixed grill which was a plate of charred vegetable over half cooked brown rice ($13), and the BLT which was small and boring ($7). We have been there for a special set menu for valentine's day it was inventive and delicious, but regular fair is boring and poorly prepared.

Pros: vegetarian food, intresting drinks
Cons: small portions, boring food, porr porrly prepared food
binky
binky

WOW !!!!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2009

So for years i have heard people talk about The Garden Grille and recently finally tried it out and was amazed. The staff is really great , warm and makes you feel so at home. While it took slightly long for service , it was only because of the crowds waiting to get in , and now i see why. I had the Grandma Reggie's Raw Heaven Salad with fresh mangoes n avocados and this great cashew topping over greens....amazing . Went with about 6 others and we split the chipolte seitan ( yum yum) the butternut squash quesadilla ( our new addiction) , the cashew encrusted tofu ....it was all some of the best i've ever has , and i used to live in NYC. The atmosphere is definitely a mix of post 60's hippie , slightly casual upscale and maybe new agey given the yoga drawings , but it all sort of works in a strange chaotic way. Some of our group are meat eaters and they all thought it was great. Defintely one of Providence's great little secrets.It's in a really ugly shopping plaza but once you are inside it has a warm inviting ambiance that just makes you feel good. For what they offer it's one of the best values in town. And that dog outside...Henry i think.......he is the coolest four legged being i've ever met.

whirly5
whirly5

• non-vegetarian

Unbelievable food!

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2008

I was looking for a juice bar and was advised to go to this place by the guys at Nice Slice in Providence. What a surprise to find vegan heaven!!! Grilled seitan was to die for. Great raw food options. The specials included sauteed greens with soy sausage- yum! There's even a whole vegan dessert menu. I got cheesecake to go in an environmentally friendly container and was so happy with the taste and the freshness! I'd drive an hour to go to this joint again. Kudos to the staff and owner for maintaining such a great place to eat healthfully!

Pros: Vegan heaven., Vegan Desserts!, Juice bar!
Cons: no wheatgrass:(
stantoro
stantoro

Good Veggie/Vegan in RI

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

An excellent dining experience for vegans and vegetarians in Pawtucket. As for ambience, I loved the combination of earnest hippie vegetarian restaurant and nice upscale restaurant. The food was uniformly excellent: we had the tempeh spring rolls, vegetarian pad thai, and (most spectacular) a BBQ seitan that unfortunately I don't see on their current web menu. Nice drinks, friendly and efficient service, and a reasonable price for the food. I'm very grateful to have such a great restaurant in the area!

spokanevegan
spokanevegan

A pleasant experience

3 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2008

I ate here back in September & enjoyed it. Unfortunately I don't remember what I ordered but I recall liking it. I do remember the service being on the slow side, but my friend & I weren't in a hurry so it was OK. Overall I wasn't super impressed with the vegan options, but I'd go back.

Pros: Reasonable prices, Convenient location
Cons: Slow service
tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

good for being upscale(ish)

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2008

they just recently with the new year (o8) have updated thier menu which could take some getting used to for me. for a veggie place i wish there were more vegan options. as far as taste, almost everything is really really good, but if your cheap and have a big appeatite (like me) expect to leave happy you ate something really tasty but wanting so much more of it. there are some original drink options my only expierence with that is a vegan white russian which left me questioning whether i was drinking an alcoholic drink or not, a few original beer and wine options too.

thermalbunny
thermalbunny

Rhode Island would be lost without!

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2007

Thank you Garden Grille for existing for the vegans in RI! While dinner options are pricey and portions small the regular menu has yet to disappoint. Also amazing organic mixed drinks and lots of daily specials. Would like ther to be more dessert options. Always friendly service!

Pros: vegan nachos, yummy wraps, delicious drinks
Cons: not enough dessert options, pricey, wish speicals were in expensive , small
Guest
Guest

Mixed bag

3 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2007

We've come down from Mass. twice recently with friends. The portions are of a pretty fair size usually, but sometimes do seem a bit undersized. My salad arrived without dressing and i had to wait quite a while for it. Something similar happened to one of our friends. My husband's Tandoori Tofu was OK, but nothing like tandoori since it tasted of soy sauce. Overall, I'd say there are several things on the menu that are pretty yummy and several that don't work at all. And yes, Henry, the dog (he's not that fat!) is super adorable.

Pros: Good variety of dishes
Cons: Service can be bad
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

Very overrated: small portions, poor service

2 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2007

My boyfriend and I (both vegan) have given the Garden Grille many chances. Each time we've gone back, we think, "Maybe things will be better this time..." Not so. The dinner entree portions are small for the prices that you pay, and the service is often poor or non-existent. Recently, my boyfriend ordered something and asked to have vegan cheeze added to it. When his meal came, there was no vegan cheeze on it. He alerted the waitress to this, who proceeded to tell him: "Yes, there is vegan cheeze on it." There was clearly no cheeze at all! But he still got charged and extra for this non-existent cheeze. (I think it was $1.50-$2 extra.) Our water glasses are almost never refilled here, and we have even gotten partially frozen/cold soy products ("chicken" fingers, etc.) on multiple occasions. Vegans/vegetarians would be better off going to Rasoi (Indian place witha a vegan Saturday buffet for $8.99, in the same plaza as the Garden Grille), to Not Just Snacks (Indian/Bangladeshi place not far away on Hope Street), or to Apsara Palace (southeast Asian place also not far away on Hope Street). The only cool thing about the Garden Grille is the fat dog that sits outside. I wish I could give this place a better review, but we have been disappointed every time that we have gone.

Pros: Nice dog "mascot"
Cons: Poor service, Small portions, Undercooked food
  • leonesspurr leonesspurr

I am more inclined to agree with will-travel-for-food on this one. Perhaps it is just vegans who have a hard time here. The food can be downright tasteless at times, and extremely over-priced for the small portions. The soups tend to be pretty good and the drinks, as well, but all-in-all, I would not waste my money here. I tried this place on numerous occasions before I finally gave up. I stopped going here years ago. It would take a major overhaul to get me to go back.

• oshiro oshiro

We have been eating at the Garden Grille for over 10 years and this person could not be further from the truth and the proof is in the lines that are at the grille almost every night . The portions are crazy huge and the prices are very moderate two people can get stuffed for $40 including a couple of beers. The staff who has been there for ever are the most amazing crew who knows almost everyone by name greets you with hugs and the dog out front Henry is not just some fat dog...he is one of providences most famous yellow labs . This person actually sounds like its personal having such off the mark comments and any one reading them should absolutely consider them about as helpful as George Bush at an Earth Day Festival.......by the Rasoi is so so but Not Just Spices is amazing and i would go there for Indian any day instead if you want REAL Indian

Dear Owner and Manager of Garden Grille Cafe: