Garden Fresh Vegetarian Food

A family-run veggie food cafe. Features a hot food bar where you choose your combo plate which comes with soup and barley grain rice. Also offers an an extensive la carte menu from snacks and soups to noodle and rice meals with faux meat. Has fresh juices and a range of frozen and prepared foods for take home (dumpling, steamed buns, etc.). No egg, onion, or MSG used. Small and informal. Lot parking available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Taiwanese, Chinese, Juice bar, Take-out

akanne
akanne

Excellent food

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

I've been a regular customer for years now. I usually go during lunch time on Fridays and Saturdays but I also go at other times. Lunch gets really crowded around noon and some people place orders over the phone and they tend to those orders first. The con about the lunch special is that sometimes they run out of food, which tells you that it's good food too.

The whole family is Vegetarian, except for the cook's sister, who is now working as the server. As per the reviewer who talked about the snobbish daughter, I've had that experience as well. Both daughters are a little snobbish but the parents compensate by being extra friendly. The daughters are rarely there, so, please don't let that experience deter you from coming back.

I would recommend the fried oyster mushrooms with basil, Dumpling noodle soup, Soy fish in any of the many sauces, KungPao Tofu or soy chicken.

In the afternoon, the ladies leave and the cook is left alone tending the restaurant, he does not speak much English, so I would recommend you to take the menu and tell him the numbers. The menu is in English and Chinese. Be patient with him as he'll be alone and cooks the food as you order it. No reheating or microwave in that kitchen so you'll hear him chopping and frying and rattling pans as you wait. In the evenings, the wife or the sister come back to help with dinner, so you don't have to wait that long.

Highly recommended vegan restaurant.

Updated from previous review on Monday October 21, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday October 21, 2013

Chia
Chia

Causal and tasty

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2013

I had read the recent good reviews for this place on HappyCow and decided to give it another try. Was just here in February 2013, and here's my Garden Fresh review.

I ate here one time many years ago and not impressed. But this time around I was pleased with the food. It's a simple little eatery located in a strip mall. The interior is casual and simple--to one side is a steamtable with each day's lunch offer, to the other side is tables for seating and a TV in the corner.

I noticed that they offer a la carte menus at both lunch and dinner time. I tried their dumpling was was surprised and delighted to see that the owners make their own dumpling skin with a wheat flour which was thicker than the typical white flour dumpling skin. I also got a stir fry noodle, and that was pretty tasty.

Overall I enjoyed my meal and would definitely return again to try the other menu stuff. The food is more home-style Taiwanese and healthier than the other veg restaurants around here (Veggie Family, Happy Veggie Garden).

Pros: friendly and courteous, homestyle healthier food, reasonable prices
Naan Cee
Naan Cee

healthy and delicious!

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2013

I was surprise to find this place in my neck of the woods (or atleast my parents neck of the woods). I'm use to the few more popular veg places on Colima & Nogales but this place is way better/tasty and healthy. Everything we ordered I enjoyed. The wheat dumplings, stir fried noodles, stinky tofu (Taiwanese fave), wheat noodle soup and the fresh made to order juice. The charming family that runs this place are super nice. I WISH THEY HAD THIS IN THE WESTSIDE!

Pros: wholesome, friendly service, delicious!
  • Chia Chia

Yea, the stinky tofu was tasty, especially with hot chili sauce.

vtraveller
vtraveller
+1948

Great little place!

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2013

This little strip-mall cafe offers traditional Taiwanese fare. The food is healthier than your average Chinese veg place and uses whole wheat for noodles, dumplings, and pancakes which they make on-site. They also offer fresh juices, and traditional deserts. I really liked this place and will definitely be back.

Pros: Healthy Options, Traditional, Good food
Cons: Decor
katy3
katy3

Wonderful hole in the wall restaurant

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

A hole in the wall (healthy) vegan restaurant with many organic ingredients.

I was afraid that the dishes would be too greasy and salty, so asked for light oil and light salt. The dishes came out perfect! The green papaya soup was lightly herbally and delicious. Not many places have vegan-friendly dumplings, so I was very happy they serve steamed dumplings made with buckwheat wrap. The mixed veggie wasn't all organic (even though the menu said they were), but were non-greasy and delicious. They even served us vegan banana nut muffin as complimentary dessert!

It's hard to find vegan places around Hacienda Heights, so am very happy to have found this place. This has become one of my regular places to get takeout whenever I'm in town.

Pros: quality, taste
Guest
Guest

best vegan restaurant around Hacienda Heights

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

It's really hard to find good and healthy vegan Chinese food. The food at Garden Fresh is not too greasy or too salty. I love their wonton soup. Unlike most wonton soups at other places that have just a couple of pieces of greens, theirs is full of veggies and mushroom. The roasted seaweed is another one of my favorites along with the jiajiang noodle and the herbal soup.

Highly recommend this place!

Pros: healthy, excellent food
CamHas
CamHas

friendly

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2010

I love this restaurant! There are slim pickings in this area for vegans, and since I work in the area it is a great find for lunch. They always have different lunch options (you can choose how many items you want) and the food always tastes fresh and never greasy. The woman who works the counter (I assume an owner) is so friendly! Basically I have no complaints about this place. Great food, friendly staff.

Pros: Variety, Friendly Staff, Fresh Food
y528s
y528s

VERY friendly staff

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2010

This place is a little basic, the setting isn't somewhere that you'd go for an occasion, rather a place for a quick dinner if you don't feel like looking. The food is very flavorful and the staff are the friendliest restaurateurs I have encountered in a very long time.

They noticed that this was our first time and were very welcoming, there may have been a little language barrier but we made it work.

This is the first place I have eaten that has such an extensive range of mushroom dishes, and I must say, I loved them!

Pros: Friendly, Clean, Boba Tea
Cons: Cash Only
chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

Excellent, fast, delicious, organic!

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2008

One of my top favorite places for a nice lunch. Completely organic. Buddhist cafe, small and friendly (about ten tables). There are combo plates (hot bar, you can choose 2-4 items, plus soup and barley grain rice for about 5 bucks), or menu dishes to order from. Additional treats: fresh juices, packaged items like dry grains and legumes to buy, and then fresh items are also available to take home for dinner or freeze for another day. I often get the 50 pack of fresh homemade wontons, the mushroom and nut zhong zi, complete with sticky organic grains, true to the style of the traditional option, or the steam wheat buns, chock full of veggies. I highly recommend this place for a casual meal. I am rarely in this area, but when I am, I make a point to come here. Bring a friend too, so you can try more. I usually share a combo meal with a friend, we order a plate from the menu, take home frozen goodies, and wash everything down with carrot apple ginger juice or whatever strikes our fancy. :)

Pros: organic, delicious, fresh
Cons: location (for me)
smchdisciple
smchdisciple

Healthy Home Cooked Meal

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2007

Its a small family owned operated restaurant, I found this restaurant driving by 2 years ago, they never used to advertise so I never knew they exsisted but I found they are very popular and well known in Chinese Comunity. Lunch is my favourite time there they usually have 6-8 different dishes to choose from they are usually organic stir-fried sesonal vegetables tofu dishes and mock meats you can get 2-4 side dishes for different prices it comes with rice Brown rice for Extra, Multi grain brown rice there best I've tasted anywhere I always get 4 items with brown rice for around $6.50 At dinner I recommend Vege Curried Chicken and if you like Nuddle Soup then you have to try Spicy Noodle Soup. I think you'll enjoy my favourite restaurant in Los Angeles

Dear Owner and Manager of Garden Fresh Vegetarian Food: