Garden Fresh - Palo Alto

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant with 2 locations. Its extensive vegan food menu features a variety of vegetable, tofu, faux meat, and wheat gluten dishes, and includes western style desserts. Cozy space with seating for 25 people. Try the scallion pancake. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Take-out
460 Ramona St (University Ave, downtown)
Palo Alto, California 94301
650-462-9298

Open Mon-Fri 11.30-14.30 and 16.30-21.30, Sat-Sun 11.30-14.30 and 16.30-22.00.

First Review by VeggieLover1014
Ayreq
Ayreq

Just Wonderful

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

Alice, the MaƮtresse d', is a marvel. Friendly, helpful, remembers what you like and suggests alternatives. Delicious food. One of our favorite places to eat. No need to worry about ingredients as at other restaurants where we can get vegan food.

The restaurant is small and can get very crowded at peak times, but the clientele is friendly and willing to let staff move tables to let people in and out or move your food if a better, more comfortable table is vacated. I hesitate to suggest a larger place, because the intimacy or quality of food, service, or both might be compromised. It is, after all, a gem as it is.

Pros: Friendly, Tasty, Eclectic clientele
Cons: Parking can be difficult.
jamiemichelle_xvx
jamiemichelle_xvx

My Favorite Place!

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

I adore this restaurant. The owners are the sweetest people ever and the food is amazing! My boyfriend and I always get the scallion pancakes, general's chicken, singapore rice noodles, brown rice, and the hot and sour soup. I go here for every special occasion and I am always in the best mood after eating their food. It's also right next to University so it's in a great area. I highly, highly recommend this place!

Pros: Great food, Good location, Friendly staff
crewumiami
crewumiami

Great Chinese

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

while visiting the are while on vacation, came across this, and I was very pleased. loved the dishes, great staff, and great price. If I am ever in the area again, will visit again! The orange veggie and lemon veggie where so good!

Pros: taste, price, staff
Cons: small restaurant
JayZ
JayZ

Creative Genius

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

The food here is not only fresh and healthy but is creatively prepared as well. And did I mention, totally delicious! Small, unassuming but big on flavor, presentation and friendly owners. The chef is very creative and frequently comes out of the kitchen to check on customers.

Pros: Great value, Healthy, Excellent
tristan
tristan

Great Chinese Vegan Food

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2012

Much like Garden Fresh down the road in Mountain View, the food is great but the location is a little...cramped. However, the interior decor gives you the sense there's a more modern, less casual, sit-down restaurant vibe here.

As the owner informed us, one of their staff members called in sick, which would explain the somewhat-chaotic atmosphere. These things happen and I didn't feel inconvenienced by this, so I was/am willing to let it slide. Ordering to-go is another option, too.

Anyway, EXCELLENT food. I can recommend any of these: Kun Pao Eggplant, Lemon Chicken, and Wonton with Sesame Dressing. Good stuff. Prices here are reasonable/average for this sort of fare. Its location in busy downtown Palo Alto make it accessible, especially university students.

Can't wait to visit again!

Pros: Great Food, Reasonable Prices, Location
Cons: Small size
kindlizard
kindlizard

Loved it here

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

I was thrilled to find a vegan cafe in a land (S of SF) I found to be cold and unaware of vegans.

Garden Fresh was excellent. It was the first whole meal I had in a long time. I loved my entree, it had a great sauce that was not too sweet which is a common failing to this type of cuisine. The dumplings I thought would be steamed, they were fried, but still really good. The Hot & Sour soup was just ok, as they go, not a highlight. But the folks were super nice and I would go there often if I was local.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 07, 2010

Pros: good food, nice staff , clean bathroom
anagramming
anagramming

Overpriced, cold food

2 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

The staff was nice, and the interior resembled an authentic Chinese restaurant--but that's about all I can say for this place. My roommate ordered the green beans and beef dish, I had a tofu dish, and we both ordered sweet and sour soup. The soup was TINY, lukewarm, and extremely overpriced. My tofu tasted pretty dry.

Pros: atmosphere, friendly staff
earthville
earthville

Friendly service and tasty vegan Chinese cuisine

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2010

Garden Fresh has a great selection of vegan takes on Chinese favorites. Contrary to what the name might invoke, the emphasis is on fried foods rather than "garden fresh" items per se, but they do a very good job of it. There are quite a few faux-flesh items that are done well here.

The prices are moderate, the food is great, the decor tasteful, and the service very attentive and friendly. Would gladly come again.

Pros: great vegan chinese cuisine, friendly service, nice atmposphere
Cons: parking can be a bit of a challenge, it's easy to spend quite a bit
VeggieLover1014
VeggieLover1014

Amazing Local Vegan Food

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2010

This is by far one of my favorite Vegan restaurants. I have been there multiple times and everything I have tried has been fabulous. The owners and staff are extremely helpful and kind. My favorite dish is the Sweet and Sour Pork but I would recommend anything there. If your looking for a good vegan restaurant in the Palo Alto area I would definitely recommend checking this place out.

Pros: Great service, a lot of options, unique for the area

Dear Owner and Manager of Garden Fresh - Palo Alto: