Gaia Veggie Shop - Pioneer ...

Vegetarian restaurant with 100+ seats. Cantonese Buddhist veggie food - the majority of dishes have no eggs. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out
Shop 135, 3/F, Pioneer Centre, 750 Nathan Road (Prince Edward MTR Station & Bute St)
Kowloon, Hong Kong
852-2148-1163

First Review by JohnnySensible
Stevie
Stevie

Gaia Veggie Shop - Pioneer Centre, Hong Kong

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2015

I spun along here today some a light meal. When I was seated I had some snack food (chilli courgette by the look of things) and a pot of tea brought to my table. I Indicated that I didn't want either. This led to a somewhere bizarre response from the waiting staff who seemed to insist that the tea pot stayed sat on my table with the tea cup turned the correct way. I politely again tried to indicate that I didn't want either of these (I had fairly recently had lunch and was only checking the place out as a reviewer). This led to the senior waitress coming across who again tried to force the tea on me. While I couldn't understand the language she was using (I regret my Cantonese is still very poor), the old adage - 'it's not what you say, its the way that you say' more than clearly indicated that she was laying down the law to me. Life is short.

I can clearly see why the previous reviewer felt there rudeness in at least one member of the waiting staff.

There's plenty all vego places around here. Try Happy Veggies, Meet at Sakura, Veggie Family, Veggie Mama for example. Enjoyable food and no issues with the service.

Cons: rude staff
JureXhurMesiqiMesec
JureXhurMesiqiMesec

not a good one

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

I've been to a few veggie places in the last few days here in HK and this was the worst of them.
None of the staff spoke any English, they are rude, they charged me 10 HK dollars more than was my order, so I had to complain. And they put eggs in my rice (lesson learned for next time: use the translator on the smart phone next time, maybe it will help).

Cons: they don't speak English, they use eggs, not mentioned in the menu, rude staff
sglcklch
sglcklch

Better a la carte

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2010

I'd visited their Causeway Bay location twice before, was so-so, nothing memorable. Came here on a Saturday night, the place was totally packed, tables cramped and it got a little noisy. This time we ordered a la carte instead of choosing from the set menu, was actually quite tasty. But then again, like other Chinese vegetarian restaurants, it's full of mock meat, they even have mock fish sushi. Good for carnivores who want to venture a bit into vegetarianism.

Pros: good value, big menu
Cons: cramped, noisy

JChan
JChan

Best vegetarian restaurant I've been to in town

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

Gaia has two more sites besides this one at Pioneer Centre. They are 502 Hennessy Road 8th fl in Hong Kong and Shop 2005, Miramar Shopping Centre in Kowloon. Their menu is rather extensive, very clearly photographed, and not "contrived". You can always tell the waitress to use less oil, less salt, less sugar and the chef will do it for you. I liked their "lamb" stew a lot, to go with a bowl of rice.
On the other hand, their lunch plates at $37 was hastily made (the mass produced sauce was gooey and starchy) and substandard. Non-vegan stuff like eggs or milk items are clearly stated. On the whole, a very good restaurant.

Pros: Great tastes, Substantial, Always with integrity
Cons: Always fully seated, Cafeteria style
comida
comida

What a great find!

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2008

Found this place just walking around! Clean, bright restaurant with an extensive menu. We had fried eggplants, hofun, and stir fried watercress with ginger. Dishes with eggs are marked on the menu, and anything with dairy is quite obvious. Good quality food.

Pros: Delicious food, Central location, Hearty portions
beerzuki
beerzuki

stylish, user friendly menu

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2008

I was still hungry after my trip to Treasure (see review!), so luckily I had a back-up, with Gaia just a short walk away. It was easy to find as the Pioneer Centre building features on the free HKG map hotels give out (Grid square 7M).

It was lovely! Although it has 100+ seats, there is a smaller section at the front, so it feels nice to sit in. It was very clean, comfortable for a lone diner and the menu was great. The menu was well priced and had English and many really handy pictures. It was hard to decide as so many things looked great! They don't seem to add a service charge and the tea they serve was inexpensive and really good. (If you know 'genmai cha' - roasted brown rice and green tea, that's what it was.)

I enjoyed my meal and would definitely go back here again.

Pros: menu pics, tea flavour, decor
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Great place & very popular / busy

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2008

Upstairs inside the Mall - just follow the shop numbers to find it.

If you are dining alone be careful not to overorder - portions are large.

For the best experience go with a big group of friends & order 5 / 6 different dishes to share.

Each time that I have visited the cooks have been excellent.

Tasty, tasty food & well presented.

Little English spoken but the menu is very clear.

Great value food!

If only they would serve red / brown rice!

Occasionally I have had to wait for a table - it is best to book if you are planning to visit with a group on the traditional "veggie" days.

Dear Owner and Manager of Gaia Veggie Shop - Pioneer Centre: