Gaia Veggie Shop - Causeway...

Vegetarian restaurant with 100+ seats. Cantonese Buddhist veggie food - the majority of dishes have no eggs. Some vegan choices available. Not much English spoken. Causeway Bay MTR Station Exit F. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Chinese
8/F, Goldmark, 502 Hennessy Rd, Causeway Bay
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
+852-2808-1386

Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

First Review by JohnnySensible
nickb
nickb

Large, busy, bustling dining experience

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2014

Gaia is a very big & busy restaurant with an extensive menu, including a decent vegan selection. Care should however be taken when ordering as the menu does not indicate which options are vegan and the wait staff don't seem to have the time or patience to be of much assistance.

The food at Gaia is decent, but certainly not amazing. The food presentation left much more of an impression on me than the taste. The first time my wife & I went we ordered some Japanese-style dishes including roles & veggie sashimi. The presentation was really cool, but the taste wasn't great.

After that we mostly stuck with noodle dishes, soup & dry. We also ordered dumplings quite often. Each time the food was decent, but not amazing. The menu is very heavy with mock meats, which we tried to avoid.

Despite the food not being amazing my wife & I ate here quite often during 3pm & 5pm, when all food is half price. During this period, the price represents decent value for money.

Pros: Nice food presentation, Half price between 3pm & 5pm
Cons: Difficult to decipher what is vegan, Not a great customer service experience
Stevie
Stevie

Gaia Veggie Shop, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2014

A big, popular, busy restaurant. A big menu with sections split into what you'd expect if you were instead in an omnivorous restaurant but every dish in there is 100 % vego. Dishes containing egg are marked so. There's some big tables that you are likely to find you share with others if this is where you are seated, something I personally liked as I ended up in conversation with people who I'd never met before.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Big choice menu
sglcklch
sglcklch

Food OK in general except too many mock meats

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

Have had dinner here twice. Decor is nice, food not bad in general, just too many mock meats. They do offer set dinners where you can pick your combination of select starters, soups, and main courses at a lower price; but I suggest ordering a la carte instead, you will have much better choices. Also, watch out for traces of eggs and dairy ingredients as they might not necessarily be marked. Once I ordered a fried rice, the menu didn't say anything about eggs and it came with tiny bits of scrambled eggs all over which was impossible to be picked out. Just confirm with the staff when ordering.

Pros: decor
Cons: too many mock meats, eggs or dairy might sneak in

JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Memorable dishes.......

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

......but take at least one LOCAL Cantonese speaker with you to help you to order as they have little concept of 'vegan' - milk is hidden in some of the sauces.

The chefs here are most excellent - creating highly inventive dishes.

Scaringly real mock meats - they even have life-like snails on the menu.

Don't stress if they get some of your order wrong - I have never had exactly what I ordered.

One of the waitresses really reminds me of Manuel / Andrew Sachs.

NOT fast food - some of the dishes can take 30 minutes to come to the table.

I love this place.

I am going to give it '5' because of the great food - for service the place maybe deserves '3'.

Dear Owner and Manager of Gaia Veggie Shop - Causeway Bay: