The all-vegan menu including beer, wine, desserts, breads, and raw food. Everything is plant-based except cow milk offered for coffee. Sources mostly sustainable and organic. Main entree prices range $18-22, handholds and other dishes less. Opened since Oct 2011. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Fusion, Raw, Juice bar, Catering, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2 E Main St (Montowese St)
Branford, Connecticut 06405
203-208-0443

Open Tue-Thur 4-9pm, Fri-Sat 4-9:30pm.

First Review by Michael X. James
raw
raw

• raw

Raw organic vegan

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2014

My all time favorite restaurant in CT. They have a combination of vegan and raw vegan food. Organic wines and beer. NO diary, vegan cheeses. I had the best raw lasagna recently, heaven. (3/2014). My children love the nachos, g-zen sweet potato fries, root beer float(no diary. The staff are all excellent. I can't stay away. I love this place.

Pros: Organic, raw vegan, no diary
Cons: none
Jacklex
Jacklex

G-Zen is worth every penny

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

I went with a friend, we shared the sweet potato fries and I had a salad that had an AMAZING pâté as the centerpiece. The portions are very large, the wait staff is friendly and informative, and overall I recommend Vegans and Vegetarians go here for lunch or dinner.

Pros: Menu, Quality of food , Wait staff
NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Awesome place!

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2012

Food: 10. I went a little nuts ordering things since I had been so eager to go here and live 6 hours away! I got the following: the sweet potato fries, raw sunflower-based "cheese sticks", and the creole tempeh (which comes with cornbread, greens, and mashed potatoes). All were really good. My friend who I was with got chili and bruschetta, which I tasted and those were good, too. We shared the dessert special: a pumpkin doughtnut a la mode! We both agreed that was the best part of the meal! We were sad that they were out of the perogies the night we went, as we had looked at the menu online and had gone in wanting those very badly.

Price: 7. A bit pricey, but understandable given it is high-quality fresh, organic, and local food.

Atmosphere: 10. Very quaint and charming. It can be both casual or a bit fancy. Calming.

Staff: 9. Very friendly and helpful, but a bit slow.

Pros: Great selections, Great atmosphere, Great staff
Cons: Pricey
umaP
umaP

way more than a VEGAN RESTAURANT

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

Basically G ZEN not only is the best Vegan food I have ever eaten....it is an entire experience. From the decor, to the music, to the menu and all the of the info that they provide, its is an amazing experience. I learned about their farm, organic juicing fasts that they offer & about the gmonkey mobile truck that they also run. I tried some RAW and COOKED food and was blown away by the quality and tastes. Everything is so fresh, organic and delicious. GZEN blows all the competition away and is the REAL DEAL.

Pros: RAW, ORGANIC, RAW JUICES
mark m braunstein
mark m braunstein

Vegan Heaven

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2012

After 22 years at It's Only Natural (ION) Restaurant, its masterful head chef Mark Shadle sought new challenges, so he and his wife Ami opened G-Zen, a sort of Neo-ION, as half its menu is same as ION's, but with new and more imaginative names. Rather than dwell on the politics of opening a vegan restaurant merely 25 miles from ION, instead let's rejoice in the expanded choice for the vegan community of two stellar restaurants. What could be better than ION? Two ION's!

Yet one cannot refrain from making comparisons. Many new dishes do distinguish it from ION, for instance one entree at G-Zen presently is all raw, with more to come. Decor and dinnerware here are more elegant and opulent than at hippie artsy ION. You can decide if one better suits your personality. I do prefer the "vibes" (yeah man, am a hippie) of ethnically-diverse and middle-class Middletown to that of New Haven's Caucasian and affluent bedroom community Branford, and prefer the trip to Middletown on scenic and lightly traveled Route 9 rather than to Branford on bland and truck choked Interstate 95. Similarly, G-Zen's street parking is far less predictable than at ION's adjacent parking lot, and G-Zen's steep entrance stairway presents a forbidding obstacle to cripples such as I. But the food at G-Zen is outstanding, and it is primarily for the food that one chooses any restaurant, even if to get there one must confront the traffic perils of I-95, and if to get out of there one must grovel ape-like on hands and feet. The food makes it all worth it, so what other accolades might I bestow upon the food? It is delicious, nutritious, nearly wholly wholesome, mostly organic, beautifully presented, graciously hosted, and totally vegan. This may very well be vegan heaven!

Updated from previous review on Monday November 14, 2011

Pros: the food!, the ambience, the food!!
Corina
Corina

Great ION alternative

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

My husband and I ate here for a late lunch yesterday afternoon when we happened to be in the New Haven area. We've been to ION in Middletown a few times before and noticed some overlap between the two menus, so we tried to order items that we didn't remember from the ION menu. The waitress listed off some specials of the day, one of which was raw tacos with walnut meat filling. We ordered the appetizer version of this, which apparently costs almost as much as the meals we ordered off the menu ($12 vs. $14). It was so good though that it was definitely worth the cost. My husband liked it even though he typically hates raw food. It seemed to be some kind of great flavored walnut meat (which I wouldn't have known was walnut if I hadn't been told) guacamole, vegan sour cream, tomatoes and green onions served on a large leaf of lettuce. So yummy.

For entrees, we ordered the black bean chipotle burger and the tempeh ruben, both of which came with sweet potato fries. They were delicious, although the burger seemed a little dry to me. At some point the owner brought out a smoothie sample that was so good we ordered one to go for the long drive home. It was a some kind of peanut butter, cocoa and banana flavor. I'm not sure how frequently free samples are given out; we overheard one of the waitresses talking about how they expected the New York Times to visit that night.

The atmosphere was great and the seating was comfortable. We came pretty soon after they opened, and they seemed to get pretty busy not long after we arrived. The service got a little slow once it started to get crowded, but we were at a table by the window which was probably easy to overlook. Anyway, I would definitely recommend this place if you're in the area and have the money to spare :-)

Pros: great food, great desserts, yummy shakes
Cons: expensive
meosulli
meosulli

G-Zen: EXCELLENT

5 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2011

I would absolutely suggest going to this place, even if you are not a vegetarian or vegan. The food was DELICIOUS, service was excellent, and the atmosphere was relaxing and fun. The menu has something for everybody, and the food lacks dairy and meat but not flavor! If you live in or near Branford and have not been to this place yet, it is absolutely worth the trip! One of the best new restaurants on the Shoreline!

Pros: Delicious, healthy food, Fantastic service, Cool ambiance
Candice H
Candice H

one time visitor

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2011

I happened to be in town and heard this new vegan restaurant had just opened. I had the vegan dim sum and the vegan nachos. Both were delicious. For desert I had the lemon tart with cashew cream and raspberry coulis. All was yummy and in a beautiful setting. Next time I visit Connecticut, I will be eating there as often as possible.

Pros: beautiful setting, great presentation, yummy
Cons: distance from me, no lunch hours
tabishop
tabishop

• non-vegetarian

Wow! What a great meal!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2011

The restaurant was beautiful. The service was excellent and the food could not have been better.
There were 5 of us so I got to try a number of items on the menu. For Apps, don't miss the "crab" cakes or the Dim Sum platter. The nachos and G Fries were also excellent, particularly with the house-made ketchup. For entrees I absolutely loved the raw "Guilt-Free" Fettuccine Alfredo (made from squash and carrots etc. no noodles and of course served cold). I also tried the Pirogi and the burger which were both excellent. For dessert the cheesecake and coconut custard were excellent as were the truffles.
The atmosphere is unique and stylish in a very comfortable and inviting way. They seemed to use a lot of natural materials in the design which gives the restaurant a nice warm feeling. It feels like they were trying to create a space that is both comfortable and unique. It definitely works. The artwork throughout the restaurant is interesting and tasteful. Dress is casual. Pricing is a little less than fine dining and very reasonable for the quality (5 people - Apps, Entrees, Dessert was $200 incl tax). They take the major credit cards and there is ample close parking on Main St. If you're even casually thinking about giving this place a try, just get in your car and go. You will not be disappointed. There was absolutely nothing about this place that I thought could be improved and I'm very critical. Oh, and I should mention that only one person in our group (not me) has committed to a vegan lifestyle. This place is great for anyone and everyone. Add it to your list!
P.S. I found the place by using the free Happy Cow app on an android phone. They had been open less than a week and it was already on there. If you're interested in vegan/vegetarian dining you should definitely check it out. It has never steered me wrong.

Pros: Excellent Food, Excellent Ambiance, Excellent Service
Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Love it!!!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2011

This place is great! All food is made vegan so I'm not sure why Happy Cow doesn't label them Vegan and just Vegan-friendly. I realize they have milk available for coffee but that's it. The sweet potato fries are good, the nachos are good, the bread is good, the soup is good...heck, everything there is good! Chai latte with almond milk was one of the best I've ever had. The cheesecake was great. I can't wait to go back to this place. It's definitely pricey but worth it. The portion sizes are decent but for the price I would have liked a little bit more ($7 for fries...you expect a LOT of fries). The service was friendly and highly knowledgeable. I'll be back here again and again and again! Highly recommended!

Pros: Great food, Lots of options, Very nice restaurant
Cons: Parking is tough, Expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of G-Zen: