Small cafe serving a variety of chunky pies in addition to cupcakes, carrot cake, chocolate cake, and banana bread - all vegan and handmade on the premises. The pie fillings are also available as a "pie-tato," which means the pie filling is served in a jacket potato. Organic fairtrade coffee served with Bonsoy, plus organic juice, tea. Desserts and a selection of processed vegan food items such as soy condensed milk available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery, Catering
Shop 2, 144-148 Glenayr Avenue (Roscoe Street)
Bondi Beach, New South Wales 2026
+61-0420-415164

Open Mon-Fri 7am-8.30pm, Sat-Sun 11am-8.30pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by sarah m
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Made me a pie fan

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

We don't have pies like this in the US! Wow! We ate here a few times on a recent stay in Bondhi Beach. As mentioned in other reviews, the Funky Chunky and Cheezy Chkn pies were fantastic. The crust was perfect and the pies weren't too dry, even right before closing time! We also loved having vegan mashed potatoes and gravy. The shop also sells a few goods, and we found vegan sour cream after literally months of searching for it on our travels! Plus, the price was great for Bondhi. We could not have been more thrilled with this place. Wish we had one back home!

Pros: delicious, good value, friendly staff
Cons: they don't have a location back home
Tiggy
Tiggy

Best pies ever and more...

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

I love Funky Pies and have been to this place a few times when visiting Sydney and also enjoyed their pies many times at places that sell them in Melbourne. I've never found another pie quite like them: they get the crust flaky and just right and the filling moist, which other pies fail to do. Today when we visited the place had changed a bit since the last time I was there: the kitchen had been upgraded, leaving not as much seating. The pies come with the option of either salad or mashed potatoes, peas and gravy (the latter great for vegans who like the opportunity to have traditional dishes they might normally miss out on. Today the mash wasn't great though and I wished I'd ordered the salad.) We weren't adventurous and stuck with two varieties of pie we knew we liked: the Funky Chunky with Shiitake mushroom (a popular one and the kind of pie you could slip by an omnivore and they'd likely not know the difference) and the Easy Chic'n Cheesy with a cheesy sauce. There are between 10 and 20 varieties of pie to choose from with a number of types of curry filling and Italian-style ones. In addition you can buy vegan cakes and sweets and vegan specialty grocery items as well as fair trade organic coffee. The staff are friendly and helpful. This is always a go-to eatery when I'm in Sydney.

Pros: The best pies you'll ever taste , Vegan sweets, Fair trade coffee
Cons: Not much seating
it_be_asin
it_be_asin

If you want to pull a vegan woman, buy her a pie.

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

The first time I met my partner, he bought me a funky pie. So this place has great sentimental value, and we still go there together occasionally for the memories and the pies, even though he has moved from Bondi to the inner west.

The pies are quite tasty, and there's nothing like a pie with potato and mushy peas on a cold day. I'm just classy like that. I haven't tested the desserts and drinks with the exception of the addition foods brownies which I appreciate a little too much.

There is not much seating space available, and what is available is very very casual. You may be best taking your pie away.

Pros: Memories, 100% vegan, Comfort food
Cons: Not much seating, Very casual dining

wahine
wahine

Incredible pies!

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

I live around the corner from Funky Pies a few years ago and I still remember them. They were awesome. Wish I could have them here in my country!
The shitake one was incredible, and so was the mashed potatoes and gravy on the side.
Salivating...

neve13078
neve13078

Best pies in the world!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2013

Delicious pies, delicious caramel slice too. The g'day satay and the curry pies are my favourite. The mash potato and peas side was very nice too. By far my favourite place to eat!!!

Pros: Yum Food, Great service, Lots of selection
Petesternz
Petesternz

OH MY GOD!

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

I LOVE FUNKY PIES! I LOVE FUNKY PIES! I LOVE FUNKY PIES! I LOVE FUNKY PIES! I LOVE FUNKY PIES!

Where is the six cows button? This is what good vegan food tastes like. What a treat to have all these amazing options for pies. I'm not a huge "pie guy" and never thought I missed them, but then I got into a chikn cheezy pie and thought I was in heaven. Thank god for Funky Pies. DO NOT MISS if you are in Sydney!

Third Eye
Third Eye

Best Pies ive ever tasted!!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

First went to funky pie's when in Sydney in 2009, heard of a delicious vegan pie shop with top notch pies and we weren't disappointed! I couldn't believe pies could be so good, The owner was super friendly, loved to have a chat, we live in Melbourne and regularly buy the frozen funky pies they have in health shops down here, but we cant wait to head to sydney this weekend to sample the delights again. A must for any pie loving vegan or vegetarian heading to Sydney!!

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, decent price
Cons: need a store in Melbourne :)
robivore
robivore
  • herbivore

Fantastic Pies!

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2012

These pies are amazing. The shiitake mushroom one is probably my favorite, but they are all winners. They have a nice stock of ready to eat pies, as well as some frozen ones you can tuck away for later.

The only bad thing is they close at 8pm. These pies are the best thing in the world to grub on after a boozy night - so stock up before you go out!

Pros: Vegan, Selection , Friendly Staff
Cons: Not open late enough!
Veggiebrookie
Veggiebrookie
  • fruititarian

Who doesn't love funky pies?

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

I love this place, i take all my vegan/non vegan friends here. Its always a hit with everyone. SUPER friendly service. If i had to find one thing wrong with this place is that its not the healthiest vegan place in the world haha, but hey treat yourself once in a while. Its Vegan pies, good ones are hard to find! this place is a gem :)

Pros: Tasty, Good value, great service always
Cons: not very healthy
amaranth
amaranth

Amazing cafe!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

I went to Funky Pies for the first time and I was in love! Best pies I've ever had, delicious desserts, great coffee & friendly staff. There was even a large selection of vegan groceries to buy (ice cream, cheese, pantry items etc). I will be back as soon as possible!

Pros: DELICIOUS FOOD, Great staff, dessert!
aglindstrom
aglindstrom

Pie to die for

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

Like a man lost in the desert stumbling on an oasis, I came to Funky Pies. So good. I had tears in my eyes.

TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Funky indeed.

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2012

Not much needed to be said here.

On their own or with mash and gravy - you can't go wrong. The Funky Chunky is my fave but they're all fantastic. And all the cakes are superb too. As is their coffee.

We also buy the smaller pies in bulk for parties, etc. Noone has ever had anything less than high praise - even the most stubborn omnivores. And they even have gluten free versions for those who need that. (I've bought them but not tried them myself - but those who ate them spoke very highly of them).

And it's good to have a vegan refuge outside of Newtown and Cabramatta - and so close to the beach, and serving iconic Aussie food!

Funky rules!

Pros: Funky!, All vegan, Pie and mash!!!
irowan
irowan

Best vegan cheesecake!!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

So delicious! The best cheesecake I've ever had and the pies were so good. Friendly service too.

Pros: Cheesecake, Friendly staff, Delicious
Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

Vegified Aussie classic

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Although I'd already eaten, I was determined to visit Funky Pies and stock up for the road. I asked the server what his top two pies would be; he recommended the Chic n' Cheezy and the Funky Chunky. Baked at home a few days later, both were great, but I'd say my favourite would be the former - nice, subtle cheesey flavour. The caramel slice was just as it should be - sugar overload - so maybe consider sharing it! I'd definitely recommend Funky Pies to any visitors to Sydney - it's an awesome fusion of vegan & Australian food in a great location. My only gripe would be their punnets of coconut ice cream - I really wanted to try this, but couldn't eat an entire punnet in one sitting. My suggestion? Sell it by the scoop for the benefit of the sweaty beach goers!

Pros: Loads of varieties of pie, Yummy desserts, Awesome location
Cons: No air con, Small
nerida
nerida

Worth the drive to Bondi even in winter!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

We go to Funky Pies every time we are in Bondi, and also have driven out there from where we live in Western Sydney JUST to go to Funky Pies (in winter!). And every time the only disappointment has been that there weren't all the different flavours we want to try because we got there late!

I recommend the Funky Chunky, it's out of this world, I love the brownies too, made me do a dance of joy, the Ezy Chic n' Cheezy is my second fave pie, but all of them are fab.

I love the assortment of drinks as well, they have Charlie's and Phoenix from memory, they also have a small selection of Vegan products in the fridge for a quick top up if you're out of stuff, and also frozen pies to take home! What's not to like!

Wish they were open later at night, so I could eat more pies on a Saturday night! The only downside is if you do want to eat in, and it's busy, there's not a whole lot of room, but it certainly makes for a cozy atmosphere when you do get a seat! Anyway, gorgeous Bondi is down the road (which I always get confused going back to!) so plenty of people take away, no stress if you don't get a seat!

Pros: Amazing pies!, Amazing brownies and desserts!, Amazing drinks!
Cons: Close at about 8.30 sat nights, Small cafe, not that many seats, I always get disoriented back to beach!
David Ward
David Ward

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

I have eaten many a Funky Pie but only dined in once.

Awesome food!
The Funky Chunky is most like a "traditional" meat pie in texture and appearance.

Dining in offers you more options than outlets that sell their pies, such as Apple Pies.

Highly recommended.

Pros: taste, texture, value
rhod
rhod

The ultimate vege pies and more.

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2010

Went to funky pies in Feb 10 on recommendation of a friend in Sydney. The pies are absolutely superb. They're pretty big with a huge crispy flaky pastry top and loads of filling. Had the funky chunky which is the meat pie equivalent. Also tried the cheesy chicken which I was less keen on but it's my friends favourite so each to their own. The mash, mushy peas and gravy are must haves for the ultimate aussie experience.

I also went for the vegan brownie which was the best I've had anywhere and I've tried lots in Australia,UK and Asia. Moist and mudlike in the middle but dryer and more crumbly on the outside, couldnt be better. The apple pie was also superb. The only thing I wasnt keen on was the sausage roll. I found the herbs (rosemary predominantly I think) a bit overpowering.

The staff here are very friendly. I arrived just as they were closing and the owner (angie I think) wouldnt let me pay for the pies which was very generous as I was more than happy to pay. I reciprocated by buying the brownie and apple pie which was a great hardship.

All in all this is a fantastic place and hopefully they'll be able to open up more branches in the future. There's got to be room for more places like this with friendly owners, great products and food that you know what it is and how it's made. I'll definitely be visiting every time I'm in Sydney.

Pros: Superb pie floaters., Superb desserts, Lovely staff
Cons: None at all.
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Delicious

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2009

We tried Funky Pies while we were on vacation in Nov 2009 and we quite pleased with what we tried. We each had a pie with mashed potatoes, peas and gravy as well as an additional pie by itself. We tried the Funky Chunky, Thai Spice and No Wurry Curry. They were all delicious, especially the Funky Chunky. We wanted to try the sausage roll as well, but they were out of that as well as some desserts. We got there before 6pm, but apparently, that was not early enough for them to have everything available still. That's our only complaint as the food we had was yummy. It's kind of a small space, but we had no problem as we were the only ones there at the time.

Pros: delicious pies, friendly staff
Cons: out of some items
prishila
prishila

Great Pies and cupcakes

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2009

Went here last weekend and had the potato mash, gravy and mushroom pie. Based on the previous reviews, I have to agree that they make really good pies. Their coffee was really good as well. If you have a sweet tooth, try the blueberry macadamia cupcake............amazing!!!!

VeJo
VeJo

Yum

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2009

Really nice pies, good pastry. The pie with gravy, potato and peas was a nostalgia kick back to childhood. The thai pie was delicious. They hadn't quite sorted out the quantities situation for cupcakes when we were there, so we couldn't try them. It's still early days though, and we'll definitely be making the trip across town again sometime and will give it another try.

They don't indicate on signage that everything's veg*n, which led to a couple of disappointed omnis leaving empty-handed once it was explained to them. Hopefully more will try something they wouldn't normally seek out, though... and more of the veg*n clientelle will make it over to Bondi.

Pros: friendly service, good food
Cons: need to stock up cupcakes
sarah m
sarah m

delicious!

5 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

i went here on a recent trip to sydney and i have to say i was very impressed and haven't stopped dreaming about my next visit. i had the funky chunky pie with mashed potato, minty peas and gravy. all vegan, it was hearty and very tasty with the pastry getting a big thumbs up! will definitely be back!

Dear Owner and Manager of Funky Pies: