Eclectic parlor serving vegan food with raw food and gluten-free options. Includes raw tacos, rice "meat" and cashew cheese, soft serve cashew ice cream with cacao fudge sauce, pulled jack BBQ sandwich, raw ice cream, and vegan donuts. Brunch on Saturday. Previously order at the counter and change to table service. Operating since Apr 2010 in Kansas City Westside neighborhood. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Raw, Juice bar

Redheaded Vegan
Redheaded Vegan

GuD FuD

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

I absolutely LOVE this place. I drive cross country at least once a year from Denver to Jersey, and I always make a point to stop in for some jackfruity-goodness!

This place is a small cafe located on a little side street and can be a bit difficult to find if you're from out of town, but it is well worth the hunt. The staff is always fantastic, friendly, and helpful and to food! Wow.

I've been all over the menu and my favorites include the jackfruit reuben, nachos, and the mac&cheese. Gluten-free, vegan mac & cheese that is to die for.

They also have a number of really tasty raw items on their menu and if you can save room for it, their in-house made cashew ice cream is heavenly!

Oh, and if you're gluten-free as I am, you'll find no shortage of options. Gluten free pasta for the mac & cheese as well as gluten free brown rice tortillas for the sandwiches!

This place is CASH ONLY so be prepared for that, and come hungry!
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Pros: Incredibly delicious food, Great staff, Totally vegan
Cons: a bit pricy
BridgettBinghamJolly
BridgettBinghamJolly

AWESOME FOOD!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2014

My husband and I ate there yesterday and all I can say is AMAZING!!! It's a small restaurant with minimal seating but would be worth a wait! Service was also excellent.

Pros: great food, great service, good value
Cons: not the best parking
Jubi
Jubi

Original, Creative and Delicious All-Vegan Food

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2013

I stopped at this restaurant while on a road trip from Wisconsin to Texas and again on the way back. Dining at Füd was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.The food is fantastic, the milkshakes are awesome, the desserts are scrumptious.
I cannot say enough good things about the menu. Everything on it looks so appealing. And if the meals I had are anything to go by, every item on the menu is definitely worth trying. If I lived in KC, and money were no object, I would eat at Füd every single day.

Pros: Great Food, Cosy atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Cash only. Credit cards not accepted.
MarionArscott
MarionArscott

great comfort food

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

who knew? I had a bbq sandwich, mac and cheez and topped it off with a sundae!!!! It was all wonderfully good. Such a pleasant surprise to find in Kansas City. I wasn't even expecting to find an all vegan place here. What a great treat! I only wish I was here longer so I could try their whole menu. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

luma
luma

Yummmm

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

FuD is located in an old storefront filled with quirky charm. It has the original tin ceiling, but is eclectic. One wall is painted metallic gold and boasts a plaque of the Om symbol. another wall is covered in bright vertical stripes. There are big, colorful comfy cushions in the window seats which are half the seating for 2 of the tables.
There is an outdoor seating area also on a raised deck to the side.

Pros: reasonable prices, great food, intimate relaxed setting
Cons: only takes cash
KathleenS
KathleenS

So Good!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Visited FuD back in January when we visited my boyfriend's friend who lives in the area. My boyfriend is a meat eater, his friend is a vegetarian, and I brought a friend who is also a vegetarian. I ordered the nachos (amazing) and the fried eggywich (my friend said tasted exactly like an egg). Boyfriend's friend got the tofu nuggets to share and the dipping sauce was yumtastic. He and my friend both ordered the phish wich. It was also very good and definitely had a fishy taste. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is awful at choosing vegan food because he it too scared I suppose... He ordered the avocado wich and was disappointed when it was basically a salad on bread. The sandwich was good, but nothing to write home about.

MO_vegan
MO_vegan

Reminds me of NYC

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

The space really does bring to mind a little place in the village. The online menu is very helpful. The cons aren't really complaints, but things to be aware of before visiting. Looking forward to my next trip to KC.

Pros: yummy food, large menu, local, organic, eco
Cons: a bit slow when busy, cash only
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Very Creative and Yummy

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2012

I went to FUD for brunch on a Saturday while visiting KC. I was a bit skeptical of all of the jackfruit meat, so I ordered the tofu breakfast burrito. It was very good, but did not have a lot of vegetables and was nothing to get too excited about. We got a side of the spicy tofu nuggets, which again, were perfectly fine, but nothing too special. They were busy and the service was quite slow.
However, my husband ordered a taco with bbq jackfruit, and it was so good! I really regretted not ordering a dish using the jackfruit. My friend got the mac and cheese w/jackfruit and it was quite tasty also.
Even our picky friend who is skeptical of all things vegan found his grilled cashew cheeze sandwich to be good.
I wished I would have had room for dessert bc my hubby's caramel and almond shake tasted divine!
This will be a must-visit for us the next time we visit KC, way before Eden Alley!

Pros: Creative, Tasty Food, Nice atmosphere, Jackfruit meat!
Cons: Slow Service, Cash Only
DaisytheHedgehog
DaisytheHedgehog

Jack fruit is amazing!

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

I had never eaten jack fruit before and my non-veg boyfriend absolutely loved the "chicken" jack fruit taco. The mac n cheese was also delicious and the side of vegetables was amazing. The portions were perfect sized, especially given the price. I had a vanilla chip shake to go and it was delicious and worth far more than $6! The only issue we had was that there was only one waitress and the service was very slow.

Pros: Creative menu, Cute atmosphere, Reasonable prices
Cons: REALLY LONG WAIT, Small
JenK6
JenK6

Creative!

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2011

Went here while on vacation with my mom and a friend of hers. The place was absolutely packed and service was understandably a little on the slow side. Our waitress was very nice and helpful with all my mom's food allergies. The menu is very creative and doesn't rely on processed substitutes for meat and cheese. I ordered the nachos with the chicken flavored jackfruit, which was really good (never had jackfruit as a meat substitute before). I also had a plain cheese quesadilla with salsa; the cheese is made with cashews and goji and very tasty. I also ordered the barbeque sandwich, which was good but a little too spicy for my sensitive palate. The cashew ice cream is AMAZING! Get it, no matter how full you are! I'd definitely go back here to try more items.

Pros: Creative Menu, Cashew Ice Cream
Cons: Very crowded seating, Very Noisy
VgnCupcake
VgnCupcake

BEST VEGAN SPOT IN KC

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2011

The food has consistently been great. Even my meat eating friends love it. So many options!!

Pros: Tasty, Cute, Reasonably Priced
Cons: not a lot of seating
chekova
chekova

Amazing

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

Great vegan food in a really nice environment with friendly waitstaff.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: none
nan2368
nan2368

Homemade goodness

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2010

Food was excellent. We had the tuneRahh with salad. Also had the tofu salad sandwich. Both were delish. The cashew ice cream was soooo good. Wish I had some now. Also had the tuneRahh on a collard leaf that was totally awesome. This place is really, really good. If you're hungry in Kansas City, Mo then I suggest you go there and eat. The owner Heidi was very friendly and helpful. My husband enjoyed the food so much we had to take 16 scoops of the tuneRahh with us lol. Everything looks just like it does on the website too. Not faking there. Wish we had one in Orlando, Florida like this. Cashew ice cream! I have to go home and make some now. In all I can only say yummy, yummy, YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: clean, fast, friendly
allycat
allycat

Never knew raw could be so good!

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2010

Fud is a raw and vegan restaurant. Everything was also organic. If your image of raw (or vegan) food is dull and unappetizing, you will be most pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere relaxed. I had the raw spring taco which was amazingly delicious. It consisted of homemade raw, vegan "cheese", "sour cream" and filling (made from wild rice which had a fantastic flavor and texture)and fresh homemade guacamole wrapped up in a collard green. The "cheese" and "sour cream" were better than any other vegan ones I've ever had. Simply awesome! The side of eggy salad was also a delight. My husbands grilled tofu sandwiches was one of the best I've ever tasted.... perfectly grilled and dressed. Be sure to save room for dessert. The sweet stack is a vegan brownie topped with vegan cashew "ice cream," organic raw hot fudge, nuts and goji berries. It was creamy, cold and perfect. Hard to believe it's not full fat dairy! Prices were extremely reasonable with entrees ranging between $5.00 and $8.00. I highly recommend their red cooler ice tea which was also excellent. The staff was friendly (the owner even came out to chat with us and was very friendly) and the restaurant was clean. The only draw back is that it took a while for the food to arrive, which was to be expected since everything's freshly prepared after it's ordered. I felt it was well worth the wait, but be aware of this if you're in a hurry. They are currently only open for lunch, except for dinner service on Friday's.

Pros: Raw/Vegan/Organic, Delicious, Reasonably priced
Cons: wait time for food

Dear Owner and Manager of FuD: