Vietnamese grocery store that dells Asian cooking ingredients, including fresh produce and packaged foods, plus a large frozen fake-meat section. more-less

First Review by sbm02002
veero
veero

good for a few raw/vegan essentials

3 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

I go to fubon to get the cheapest young thai coconuts in town (usually between $1.29-$1.79)
also frozen Durian
baby bananas (not organic, but a fun treat)
unusual fruits like rombutons and lychees, and sometimes they have huge cheap papayas
and before the Fukashima craziness I would buy seaweed from there too.
sometimes they also have good deals on big bags of cashews in the restaurant supply aisle,
oh and they have organic Maitake mushrooms too!
thats about all I get there but it is worth the trip every now and then even.

Damascus Shopper
Damascus Shopper

Not worth the aggravation

1 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2010

October 2, 2010.
Item scanned for 50 cents more than marked.
When I informed the cashier, he said "Oh, it's mislabeled" on the shelf. The actual price is the higher price.
THIS IS FRAUD.
When I asked to speak to the manager, another cashier pointed me to "Customer Service," where there was nobody present.
I was unable to find the manager after walking around the isles twice.
When I asked the 2nd cashier again, she pointed to a young woman in one of the checkout lines, whom I recognized as the very UNHELPFUL "manager" from a previous interaction when my wife tried to return a defective product. Knowing that I would not get any helpful response from her, I left.
For a store whose prices are just OK, not great, their distain for their customers is obvious and aggravating.
The amount is miniscule, but the principle is not.
Find another store if you can; I intend to do so.

Cons: Poor customer service, untrustworthy pricing info
Guest
Guest

cheap hard to find things

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2010

super cheap to stock up on vegan essentials that are hard to find elsewhere, or just really pricey elsewhere. vegan mochi cookies, rice paper, coconut nut milk,ramen bowl soup thingys, miso paste etc.. all that is great. dealing with the terrible fish smell, the tanks of live creatures, the jars of crab extract, all of which is not fun. so its a toss up, pay more somewhere else, or look/smell things your're morally opposed too. I go once in awhile, because I love those damn cookies.....

Pros: cheap, great selection, mochi cookies!
Cons: live fish, fishy smell, not vegetarian
junkfoodvegan
junkfoodvegan

Smells like dead fish

2 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

Really, it reeks of dead fish. They have an amazing selection of hard to find veggies and a huge selection of Asian food and mock meats (most are not vegan though), but it's hard for me to physically be in the store. I go once or twice a year and rush through holding my breath.

Pros: cheap, hard to find veggies
Cons: smells like dead fish
ThatVegWoman
ThatVegWoman

Beware if you care about animals!

1 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2008

This grocery store sells live seafood so I refuse to shop there. You may wish to do the same. Both Food Fight Vegan Grocery and Vegetarian House (just off Burnside in Chinatown) have large selections of mock meats and they are totally vegan businesses.

sbm02002
sbm02002

good for specific ingredients

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

fubonn is a little out of the way if you live close in, but it's definitely worth a trip every so often to stock up on some really cheap essential ingredients. if you buy foods like tofu, coconut milk, agar, miso, curry paste, anything relegated to the asian section of a natural foods store, you will find it at fubonn for MUCH, MUCH cheaper. a can of coconut milk for 85 cents is hard to beat!

Pros: cheap, huge variety of foods
Cons: very fishy-smelling

Dear Owner and Manager of Fubonn: