Fritz Pastry

Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegan choices in soups, sandwiches, hot chocolate, coffee, and pastries like vegan donuts and cupcakes. Vegan items are not advertised, so you need to ask. No gelatin, lard, or eggs in the non-vegan stuff. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Bakery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan
ieatmodestmouse
ieatmodestmouse

just ok

3 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

let me start off with this: i dont normally eat sugar or wheat, so my idea of sweets is more raw type desserts or a bit healthier.

with that being said, i wasn't super impressed with the doughnuts. we got chocolate, vanilla, and almond. i thought the chocolate had a weird flavor that i wish i could pinpoint. the almond was really really almond-y. too much for my taste. the vanilla was the best one..tasting most like a doughnut. however it was VERY sweet!!
also got a blueberry scone. which was amazing. best one i've had! just enough glaze on it too. super, super good.
the girl working there was sweet and informative.

veganmiss
veganmiss

Lovely Brunch

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2012

Fritz Pastry recently changed ownership and not only do they have vegan donuts (!!) and other goodies, but now Saturday & Sunday brunch as well as wraps. I checked out brunch the second weekend they announced having it. I really enjoyed it and will be back to try other menu options (the menu has changed since I was there - I think they change it every few weeks). If you're looking for a quaint brunch with a coffee & pastry shop vibe, this is your place! They also have an outdoor patio for the spring/summer/fall and while small, it's still cute.

Now, when I went there, the brunch menu had carrot cake pancakes and a tofu scramble as their vegan options. As of today, they have blue fennel hash (purple potatoes, carrots, onion, zucchini, baked tofu and red pepper ketchup - $8.50) and lemon cardamon pancakes (with seedling fruit blueberry syrup and whipped cream - $9). I'm not sure which menu sounds better! My tofu scramble was really awesome. It came with a variety of veggies - red potatoes, carrots, onion, zucchini. There was also a red pepper sauce (I'm pretty sure it was this - I ate this a bit ago so if memory serves!). I love ketchup on my tofu scrambles, so I piled that over the potatoes and such. The tofu was also baked. Super tasty and a great scramble over all.

I also split a raspberry tart with my friend. I love raspberry desserts! This was a perfect ending to my brunch along with my soy latte.

Their only prepackaged vegan wrap is the balsamic roasted veggie wrap (though the bbq tofu sandwich is vegetarian - there is cheese). The wrap has eggplant, red pepper, zucchini, soy mayo, organic greens on a tomato wrap. It comes with chips and a pickle all for $7. There is also a seasonal salad for $6.25 which comes with seasonal veggies, fruits, and lemon-balsamic vinaigrette.

Brunch is served on Saturday's and Sunday's from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Go check it out, Chicagoans!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/06/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of.html

Pros: brunch, tasty, vegan baked goods
Cons: small space
VeganSally
VeganSally

Fix this problem

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

The vegan doughnuts were great. No problem with product quality here. The problem is that if you are a vegan and walk into this store, you have absolutely no idea that there is anything here for you other than a soy latte. You'll assume, like I did, that most bakery items are not vegan and not order any. It wasn't until I got home and googled the place that I realized they had vegan stuff and went back. That really irks me.

Listen, I get it that vegan bakeries don't want to advertise that they're vegan b/c most ppl don't know how good vegan baked goods are these days. They think it will drive customers away instead of get them in the door. That's fine. But what about your vegan customers? At a minimum, you should have a sign on the counter saying "we have vegan baked goods, just ask" or "vegan doughnuts available".

Also, maybe it's just me but I think as an enlightened vegan-friendly establshment you are in a unique position to get the word "vegan" out there and in front of people. How else are we going to get vegan mainstream if we don't start by simply acknowledging it.

mollytov
mollytov

A+

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

I haven't had a doughnut since going vegan 5 years ago, so I was incredibly excited to check out Fritz Pastry. I got the sprinkled and glazed doughnuts as well as a soy chai latte, and all three were a win across the board. The doughnuts were chewy with a great texture (yeast-risen and fried) and the chai was perfectly spiced with a strong clove flavor. I haven't been this impressed with vegan pastries in awhile! The woman behind the counter was super nice and really pleasant to talk to. The doughnuts were so good, my partner and I got 4 more to take home with us (including 2 of the staff-recommended cinnamon sugar twists). I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, pleasant atmosphere
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Mmmmmmmm

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2011

Comfortable, welcoming, stay-a-while vibe inside with plenty of coffee shop type seating. Outdoor seating along side of bldg.

Amazing soy lattes.

The small chalkboard food menu has been vegetarian every time I've been in here. About 30-40% of the bakery items were vegan. But here's the dealio: the vegan items are not marked. I kind of like it b/c I'm sure there are a lot of ppl buying and eating the vegan items that otherwise would not be. I just wish there was a way to tell them, after they bit into that delicious yummy treat and were loving it, that it's 100% vegan!

My faves in order:
1. chocolate cupcake (vegan)
2. cinnamon donut (vegan)
3. vanilla cupcake (vegan)
Their vegan pastries taste better than their non-vegan pastries. How do they do that?!

bignameactress
bignameactress

Great little cafe

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

Excellent vegan donut, blueberry muffin, and coffee.

I like that they offered soy milk in the 'fix your coffee' area.
I only wish they offered more major food dishes as everything else they make is so delicious.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly owners
Cons: Fancy more Fritz food!
Rednes
Rednes

Oh my GOSH, I'm in love!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

The BEST vegan cupcakes EVER!!!! My sister and I have made it a point to sample cupcakes at about 10 different Chicago "cupcake" shops(before I was vegan). Fritz are better, yes better then ANY cupcakes I have ever had, non-vegan or vegan. I ordered 1 dozen chocolate and 1 dozen vanilla for my sons birthday and what a smash. My dad who is trying to convert to vegan loved them so much that he thought because they were vegan that means "healthy" and he wanted to eat 4 chocolate cupcakes after his 5 mile run. I told him "yes they are vegan but ya still can't have 4 for breakfast"(at least not while people are looking:). My Mom who doesn't usually like chocolate cupcakes yelled when she went to eat a chocolate cupcake and found they were all gone(Dad). The most moist, yummy, flavorful cupcakes. I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm goin back this weekend for a cupcake fix!

Pros: moist, flavorful, fresh
Cons: not next door, weight gain, causes hording
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

BEST VEGAN CUPCAKES & VEGAN DONUTS IN CHICAGO!!!

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2010

Wow I'm clearly impressed with this place! It's cute, the staff members are very friendly, and the vegan items (not labeled vegan, but many are just ask) are quite amazing. I tried the vegan blueberry muffin a few weeks back and loved it, later I tried the vanilla vegan cupcake and was very impressed! Elaine (one of the owners) told me they always have at least 4 vegan baked goods (i.e. muffins, coffee cake, banana bread, cupcakes, etc.) and often have 3 vegan donuts (cinnamon, glazed, and chocolate) - yes I said Vegan donuts!!! Fritz's is not just a bakery either, they carry some vegan-friendly food items like soups, salads, sandwiches, etc.

Since my first visit at Fritz's, I've been helplessly addicted. Needless to say, I've been there every weekend since. Recently I tried the vegan donut and was HIGHLY impressed!!! They make GREAT VEGAN DONUTS (yes vegan donuts that taste good!!!)! My favorite items there are the vanilla cupcakes and the cinnamon donuts...YUM!

As a correction, this place does not serve meat (from what I've seen), the owners are also vegetarian. All of the non-vegan items do not contain lard, eggs, or gelatin either (they just have dairy). One more thing to add is that the prices are unheard of here, it's sooo cheap... How many places can you get a Vegan cupcake for $2? Overall, this place is clearly a find! 5 Cows!

Dear Owner and Manager of Fritz Pastry: