Fringe Club - Colette's

Serves meat, veg options available. One of the venues in The Fringe Club is named Colette's which offers a 100% vego buffet lunch during the week. Cost includes tea or coffee. The other menus in The Fringe Club are omnivorous. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, International, Salad bar, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
2/F, 2 Lower Albert Rd, Central

Stevie
Stevie

The Fringe Club, Hong Kong

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2015

I lunched here earlier this week at the all vego buffet in Colette's. On offer was:-

* a couple of different sliced artisan loaves of bread
* minestrone soup (that when I asked I was told by staff was vegan friendly)
* a leafy salad (that when I asked I was told by staff was vegan friendly)
* 2 other salads that contained some kind of cheese
* ratatouille (that when I asked I was told by staff was vegan friendly)
* sauteed courgettes (that when I asked I was told by staff was vegan friendly)
* spaghetti (that when I asked I was told by staff was vegan friendly)
* mixed fruit salad dessert that I assumed was vegan friendly

I tried a bit of everything other than the 2 dishes containing cheese. It was very tasty I have to say.

It's also a nice setting. The building is quite interesting with a minor labyrinth of stairs through the different rooms. Colette's itself has a nice balcony. Inside the decor is quite contemporary although on one of the walls are 24 album sleeves from through the decades (take your own pic from The Ramones, The Undertones, The Police, Gen X, Earth, Wind and Fire and others).

All in all I had great food in a very nice setting. Anyone at a time when they are on a tight budget, there are all vego places in downtown HK where you could get easily two or three lunches for the cost of the 118 hkd paid for this.

Rating this is a tricky one. If the venue was 100% vego like the buffet is, I'd rate it 4. However since the other menus in the Fringe Club aren't all vego, that is a mark off.

This place is probably worth a visit to check out the other things happening here. Colette's is probably a decent choice of venue to go for a drink in the evening.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Nice setting
Cons: Not 100% vego, Not for those on a tight budget
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Risky - vegans beware look at the food carefully.

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

Only full members can reserve tables.

Non-members can walk in & hope that there is space.

I often have to go there for meetings.

Not at all ideal for vegans - cow juice based dishes prevail!

The food is prepared in a meaty kitchen so I am very very careful as to what I chose from the buffet & I stick mainly to the simple salads.

The cooked dishes may well contain meaty sauces - even though the staff consider them 'veg'.

The breads almost certainly contain milk & perhaps other animal fats also.

I eat to be polite & sociable but I don't 'enjoy' here.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Love this place

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

First off, I don't think veg-friendly is the appropriate category because the buffet itself is 100% vegetarian; but then they also serve meat/fish upon order with an extra charge... so technically it doesn't really fall into the vegetarian category either. Carnivore-friendly would be the closest description I guess :)

Back to the food, I have eaten here twice and enjoyed it a lot both times. Theme varies every day: Monday is global, Tuesday Italian, Wednesday Thai, Thursday Asian, Friday global. First time I came it was global, loved it; second time Thai, even better! The tom yum was SO good. I quite like Thai food, but vegetarian Thai is rather hard to come by as it's not really a vegetarian-friendly cuisine. The Thai theme totally satisfied my desire.

Price is about HK$100 per person, tea/coffee included. Pay at the counter to get a plate and you can go help yourself. The buffet does not have a lot to offer, but it's adequate and everything is yummy. They have bread, two three kinds of cheeses, salad, cut-up assorted fruits, maybe an appetizer/snack, a soup, and two main dishes with rice or some kind of carbs depending on the theme on that day.

The setting was light and refreshing. One can also choose to sit outside on the balcony.

Pros: great food, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Fringe Club - Colette's: