Beautiful natural food store, all wood interior, no fluorescent lights; carries sandwiches, salads, fruits, organic produce. more-less

First Review by sashwap
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Wonderful People

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2012

If I lived in the area, I'd shop here all the time. The place has a good vibe with simply wonderful, kind and helpful staff.

I didn't notice any religious stuff as referenced in another review. I noticed they had an anti-fracking sign on the front door which I was very impressed with. I saw the fracking areas just off of I-180, the heavy equipment going down the road and a fleet, my god it looked like a military convoy, of Calfrac trucks and men across the street from Freshlife. Not one woman or minority in the group. Anyway, fracking is a horrible process that produces vast amounts of toxic waste and destroys communities so I was glad to see Freshlife engaged in the fight.

If you're traveling on I-80 and want to swing by Freshlife, it'll take you 30-45 minutes out of your way (via the I-180 loop). Before you go, there's a few things you should know. This is not a restaurant. It's a natural food store with a very small take-out section. And what's in the take-out section is not guaranteed to be vegetarian, much less vegan. So if you're looking to make a meal out of it, I'd call and ask what they have before you go. We didn't and wish we had b/c it turned out to be meatloaf. So we thought we'd buy a loaf of bread and make some PB&J's. The only bread they had was frozen. They get a shipment of fresh bread once a week and it was sold out so we were out of luck.

They have a decent selection of fresh organic fruit. And you can load up on boxed snacks, coconut drinks, Kombuchas, chia drinks, stuff like that. In the refrigerated section, look for their homemade snacks called "Chunks of Energy." They come in about 5 different flavor combos. I got 'organic cacao-goji'. It's like a homemade gourmet energy bar sliced up into bite-size chunks. These little bites of heaven made the whole trip worthwhile. I wish I'd bought a few other flavors.

If you make the drive and can't find enough vegan eats at Freshlife, note that a new sushi place just opened across the street (avocado roll, cucumber roll). Also, there's a Ruby Tuesday in town that has a decent salad bar and a veggie burger.

PennsyltuckyVeggie
PennsyltuckyVeggie

over 30 years

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

This business has been around for over 30 years. It has been at it's currently location since 1996. I agrees with the other review that it is awkward to ask to have your food heated and dine at the one table but they are very friendly and glad to help. The prices aren't as crazy as some other smaller health food stores and they have a lot to choose from.

Pros: wide selection, friendly staff, restrooms
Cons: religous focus, meat producs
sashwap
sashwap

mehhhhhhhhhhh

3 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2008

i was driving from rochester, ny to washington d.c., and this looked like a good place to stop for lunch as it was not very far out of my way.

sadly, the selection of pre-made food was very poor. they had a vegan pad thai with tofu, a lentil salad, and a grilled vegetable dish. no vegetarian sandwiches. the pad thai was $5.25 and actually very delicious.

my girlfriend and i had no choice but to cobble together a meal the best we could (hummus + chips, pad thai, microwaveable frozen enchiladas, some drinks). it was good, but ended up being fairly expensive for what it was. on the plus side, the woman working there was very nice and let us use the employee's microwave and sit in the employee's break area. she said that the store hadn't been doing so well so was forced to become less veggie-friendly in order to compete.

so, not terrible, but not an especially great place to stop for lunch. however, if you are traveling it's a decent option in the middle of nowhere, PA. we did end up picking up a lot of snacks for the road (vegan jerky, crystallized ginger, granola trail mix).

Pros: friendly staff, good selection of snacky items, organic/natural food
Cons: limited selection of pre-made food, expensive lunch
  • sashwap sashwap

it IS an appropriate review, though, because it accurately describes my experience there. please note that the happy cow description for this place says "carries fresh made sandwiches," which was the reason we decided to stop there while traveling through a barren stretch of rural NY/PA. we knew it was a store, not a restaurant, however we were lead to believe it had more in the way of prepared foods than it actually did. however, maybe things have changed in the last four years.

• RoyT RoyT

This is not an appropriate review. I live in the area and shop there. It is basically a health food store, not a restaurant. Yeah, there are a few prepared wraps & salads, but this is the place to go to for all your ingredients to cook your food. The store is great, with a large variety of foods and supplies.

Dear Owner and Manager of Freshlife: