Freshies Restaurant and Bar

Serves meat, veg options available. Hawiian style atmosphere. Many vegetarian and vegan options, including desserts. Indoor and deck seating. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by kmdavenport
warmstorage
warmstorage

Pricey but good vegan options, super friendly

4 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

Not cheap, but super friendly, with solid options for vegans that aren't simply afterthoughts. The space is intentionally kitschy in a cute way. Located in the interior of an oddly charmless strip mall (that reminds me a lot of Southeast Alaska.) Easy parking outside.

I've been half a dozen times, and while it's slightly spendy food targeted at visiting skiers & snowboarders, with entrees in the $12-$18 range, I've left happy each time.

Even without all of the exacting social values of Simple Bliss, at about the same prices, it's at least as fulfilling food. And they are great with recycling, and solid with socially responsible product sourcing.

Pros: solid vegan options, super friendly, tasty
Cons: expensive
Miri18
Miri18

Freshies is refreshing

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

While at South Lake Tahoe recently, a friend of mine and I ate at Freshies. I was pleasantly surprised since their vegan options are out of this world. Their quinoa cakes tasted really good and the salad selection was outstanding as well. The restaurant has a Hawaiian theme (I guess that's why they are serve pork - not so good). The service was friendly and attentive. I can recommend this restaurant to vegans/vegetarians.

Pros: great vegan options, friendly staff
Veganrapunzel
Veganrapunzel

pretty damn good

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

Delicious food friendly staff and a lot of variety. I had the tempeh rice mood bowl and the grilled portobello mushrooms both were absolutely fantastic. I wish the wait wasn't so long though

Pros: food, staff, price
Cons: Waite
wallace
wallace

Excellent food!

4 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

The food was so good at Freshies that we ate there twice while on vacation! We had the tempeh and portobello tacos the first time. The second time, I had the manna meal and my husband had the grilled portobello mushroom. All of our selections were fantastic and very fresh! We loved the atmosphere, too!

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff
Guest
Guest

Great Food - Will definitely go back

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Food was excellent, we tried a few different things including two entrees and an appetizer and didn't find anything we didn't like. I will definitely be back, and bring friends!
Also the staff was super friendly and chatty.
It was pretty crowded, and we had to wait a while for a table at the bar.

Pros: Great food , Good selection, Friendly staff
Cons: Crowded

clashbabi
clashbabi

veg-friendly

3 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

The food is decent, the location is terrible.
Although, there are not many choices around the lake. I'd re-visit for the sole purpose that their menu is organic/vegan friendly and they use separate fryers for meat.

mezzomom
mezzomom

Fresh Food with a Variety of Choices

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

While looking for a vegan/vegetarian restaurant, we heard about Freshie's from this site and decided to check it out. The menu had a good selection of choices and we were all able to find something that suited us. I had the Crunch Salad which was delicious with soy nuts and sunflower seeds along with a fish taco which was also delicious. My husband had a tempeh noodle bowl which my daughter and I stole tastes from all evening. My vegan daughter chose the Curried Tofu Spinach salad. The spicy tofu along with the spinach and other vegetables was a great combination. As it was a popular place for dinner, there was a crowded dining room, but it was well worth the wait for our delicious food.

Pros: Friendly staff, fresh, healthy food, inviting atmosphere
pradipd
pradipd

Smart, flavorful, great service.

3 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2008

Not fully vegetarian, but very sensitive and knowledgeable. Very creative and tasty, flavorful items. Small, intimate dining room, with great service. Probably the best choice in the kitschy South Lake Tahoe area.

roadcow
roadcow

• non-vegetarian

Freshies is wonderful

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2008

My wife is Celiac and the staff at Freshies were knowlegable and competent. My wife was thrilled with all of the choices she had to eat, it was as if she was "normal" at last. Food was great, the setting very nice, and the staff really do make you feel at home. 100% great rating from the both of us.

Pros: Great food, Great staff, very friendly
kmdavenport
kmdavenport

Good Food, Friendly Staff

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2007

I second the reviews of others who have said the staff at Freshies knows what is up. The salad I ordered was fresh (great tomatoes!) and healthy.

The wait staff also knew how to handle gluten free with no problem...a woman at a neighboring table inquired about their options and the waitress answered her questions knowledgeably. Their french fries (yams, sweet potatoes, and potatoes) are made with rice flour.

The inside is a bit cramped...definitely try the patio (great view).

My only complaint is that a good deal of their menu appeared to be fried and drenched in sauces...I got my salad without dressing. Not the best for vegans.

Pros: organic, gluten-free options, great staff
Cons: lots of fried food

Dear Owner and Manager of Freshies Restaurant and Bar: