Serves meat, veg options available. Offers an eclectic menu that fuses Spanish, Mexican, and southern influences. Uses local and organic when available, and uses coconuts, key limes, herbs, peppers and other ingredients from its own garden. Menu has items that are gluten free and vegetarian. Try the vegan taco or the cilantro tofu sandwich. Other vegan items are black beans, rice and salads. Dinner offerings include an artichoke plate, cherry almond couscous, olive tapenade and butternut squash and kale taco dinner. Menu changes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Latin Fusion, Mexican, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Jennifer Schubert
Jennifer Schubert

Fresh Taqueria

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2015

We've had dinner here several times now and the food is always superb. The vegan tacos are out of this world. Great atmosphere, great food, it's our favorite restaurant on the island by far.

Wish there were more vegan options, especially desserts.

Update (July 2015): Sometime in the last year, Fresh Taqueria has moved to a mandatory gratuity system in addition to higher prices. We had a party of 6 and the mandatory gratuity was over 20%. The waitstaff was nice enough, but we didn't even get a water refill at any point during the dinner. Though we always tip well, this definitely was not a 20%+ tip situation. The food was as good as always, but given the expense, we'll probably stay in and make our own tacos next time.

Updated from previous review on Thursday June 26, 2014

Pros: food, atmosphere
Cons: mandatory gratuity
girlinblue
girlinblue

The best Mexican food ever

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2015

This is honestly one of the most delicious meals I have ever had. My partner and I had watched the sunset on the beach so stumbled in late and hungry, having found it on Happy Cow. The staff were all lovely and very welcoming, and also understood clearly what vegan means. We ordered the tempeh tacos, guacamole, salsa, and margaritas. Everything was incredibly delicious. All of the food is made with very fresh vegetables and fruit, many from their garden, and lightly cooked. For me, this is the best possible food - high quality ingredients, cooked correctly. The margaritas also were about 100% better than any I have had before, I think because they had a lot of delicious fresh key lime juice, as well as chile on the rim with the salt. I wish I could eat here every day.

Pros: Fantastic food, Clear understanding of what vegan means, Wonderful staff
Cons: Nothing
katielee
katielee

Yum

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2015

The vegan tacos are really yummy. A little high-priced for the size, but very good nonetheless. Excellent guacamole and chips, and a fantastic bottled beer selection.

Pros: Delicious, Great Location, Excellent Selection
Cons: A little pricey, Needs better signage

DanFlagstaff
DanFlagstaff

A few veggie options, but I was not that impressed

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2015

They have a few veggie or vegan options, but I was not that impressed with the food. The food seemed a bit bland to me. I ordered the vegan tacos. There was some tempeh or some kind of meat substitute but I scarcely noticed it. We also had some chips and guacamole. The chips are made in-house, and were quite good. The guacamole was also good, but seemed a little bland to me. We tried eating outside, but the weather was warm, and the no-see-ums were bothering us, so we moved inside. It's a nice restaurant, with a pleasant ambience. Good for casual dining or a date.

Pros: Several veggie options, Good home-made chips, Pleasant ambience
Cons: Food seemed bland, No See-ums bothered us outside, May have to wait a bit for service.
chickadeelinda
chickadeelinda

Incredible food

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2015

We stopped here after a day of kayaking and in serious need of good vegan food. The service was outstanding; our waiter stopped by our table more than once to make sure we had everything we needed; very friendly. We ordered the vegan tacos which were loaded with fresh, organic veggies, including corn shoots, which we never had before and they were delicious. The guacamole is to die for. The meal also came with beans and rice and a side of shredded lettuce, tomato, and starfruit. Very quick service, plenty of food (did I mention they have a TON of craft beers?), and a cool atmosphere. Very pleasurable experience. This is THE place to go on the island. Wanted to give a "5-cow" rating, but the site wouldn't let me do that (?).

ltirado
ltirado

Great Vegan Option on Sanibel Island

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

The only reason this is rated as 4 stars instead of 5 is because Happy Cow doesn't allow non-vegetarian restaurants to receive 5 stars.

This place is fantastic. There is a vegan option on the menu, but I was told by the chef that anything can be made vegan. There are also several vegetarian options on the menu (which can be made vegan, of course). I ordered the vegan taco dish, and it was delicious.

They are very accommodating, and I will definitely be eating there next time I'm on the island. They also grow a lot of their own vegetables right on the property, which I like.

Pros: Vegan options, Vegetarian options, Friendly staff
CoconutPrincess
CoconutPrincess

Decent lunch stop

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

Stopped by this place because it was close and had good reviews. We had the guacamole and chips, and vegan taco (3). Both were excellent. It's a very quant place in a nice location. The only com I give it is the rice and beams they serve with their tacos are instant rice. Aside from that, good job!

Pros: Vegan options, Vegetarian options , Wide selection of beer and mead
Cons: A little pricey for what you're getting
Scott Grenerth
Scott Grenerth

Great vegan options & craft beer.

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

What a fantastic find! A nice choice of vegan options clearly marked on the menu. Great selection of beer too. Freshly made to order quacamole. Superb service.
Well worth the visit...and to visit again.
Apparently not open Monday. Hours not posted online or on the building...but they were not open on 6/9/14.

Pros: Fresh/local food, Very good vegan options on menu., Great craft beers.
Cons: Would love even more vegan optons.
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Everything Phenomenal

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

An all-around wonderful dining experience. From the friendly wait staff to the delicious vegan food, you can't go wrong at Fresh Taqueria. The entire menu isn't vegan but there are vegan items available throughout the entire menu. Everyone loves rice & beans but it's such a delight to be able to order mexican items made with tempeh and vegan cheese. There's something for everyone on the menu - lots of items made w cow's cheese for vegetarians & chicken dishes, etc for the less enlightened diners in your group.

For a sit down dinner, Fresh Taqueria is the #1 spot on the island. The Sanibel Sprout is also not to be missed-that's a casual atmosphere where you grab & go from a refrigerated area or sit at the counter.

Leanne7875
Leanne7875

Find it.. it's worth it....

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

Once you figure out where to park and how to enter the restaurant you will find a fun and eclectic dining room. The friendly staff seated us quickly and jump right into telling us about the many craft beers as well offering up fresh guacamole and in house prepared chips. The vegan enchiladas were very good. Two enchiladas with seasonal vegetables with a side of black beans was a filling lunch. The Vegan and Alice tacos were very flavorful. The dinner menu offers up tapas. It’s definitely worth finding your way to FRESH Taqueria.

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of FRESH Taqueria: