Natural food restaurant locations in Toronto. Menu features an array of starters, multi-layered salads, wraps, high protein burgers, and signature bowls. No dairy, eggs, honey, or animal by-products in the cooking; however, dairy is offered as a side option throughout the menu. Weekend brunch served til 3pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Canadian, American, Western, Juice bar, Take out

supertoad
supertoad

Vacationers, Just Passing Through

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

The third leg of our vacation (after visiting Niagra Falls) was to visit family in Oshuwa, so we had to pass through Toronto. After a quick search on the happycow app, I saw there were literally dozens and dozens of vegan restaurants in Toronto! I am not used to that kind of choice, being from Connecticut, am overwhelmed with the half-dozen choices when visiting New Haven.

The top review here raved about the place, so I made the snap decision to do it. I'm so glad I did.

First, I travel with my wife and daughters (12 and 10) all of us eat vegan, but have diverse tastes. My oldest was disappointed to find they only offer breakfast choices during holidays and weekends (we showed up at 12:30 on a Friday) but I convinced her to try something else, and as soon as she saw vegan poutine on the menu she was sold. In all, we ordered 2 poutines (as an entre) a vegan turkey club wrap, and a tiger bowl. The girls each ordered a small smoothie (at about 5.50 ea) as part of my bribe to keep them away from the more expensive menu items. (I told them to keep their entre under $10 to get a smoothie, that usually works) The server was super accommodating and very friendly (one of the few I feel completely earned her tip) When I saw another table getting some amazing looking onion rings, I snagged her and she was more than obliged to put one in for us, even took the time to explain all the extra dip options we could order with it. So we picked the garlic mayo and peanut sauce. both were excellent, but with the onion rings, the garlic may was the best.
All of our food was amazing - the fried items were slightly greasy, but not unexpectedly and tasted really fresh. Service was really fast - we made it in, a short wait for a seat but ordered, ate, got desert to go (whoopie pies) and back to our car a block away in under 1 hour (I only paid for an hour of parking and set the timer on my phone) Of all the things we ordered, the only thing we would have skipped was the whoopie pies (they were good, moist and chocolatey, but the filling was not what we expected. It was light and lemony, not bad but just not the salty frosting we're used to). I am excited to try some of the other options in Toronto, but would eat back here in a heartbeat - their selection was great and the food amazing.

Pros: Amazing Food, Fast Service, Friendly Servers
Cons: Price (but not more than we are used to), Crowded Tables, Slightly Noisy
junipearl
junipearl

This place is amazing

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

Wish I'd had more days to spend in Toronto so that I could've had more meals here.

Had the almond blueberry pancakes - VERY filling and delicious - with tempeh bacon and tofu scramble - pretty standard.

veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Fresh: reliable, delicious, what's not to like?

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

I have been to all 3 Fresh locations and it is quite simply an awesome place. It is always packed, and while that means waiting for a table, I am thrilled that veg*n places in the city are drawing crowds. The menus is very nice - lots of selection for different palates, interesting items for those of who cook veg all the time, and mainstream items for those who are new to vegetarian cooking. The items are vegan by default, but cheese and milk are optional. I highly recommend anything with the delicious peanut sauce. I find the dishes consistent both across all Fresh locations and over the years. And the price is right: I have gone for dinner with my husband for under $20. Smoothies are fantastic but be warned: they are so filling you may want to order an appetizer as your meal. Fresh has a casual funky atmosphere and is a great place to go on a date or for brunch or lunch with a friend. They don't take reservations and I do not recommend going with more than 4 people at a time.

Pros: Great taste, Great price, Great atmosphere
Cons: No reservations

maulydaft
maulydaft

I like it now

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2013

I've been eating here every so often since the Bloor location was called "Juice For Life". I've been bashing it that long because although it's not organic the prices were. Plus a lot of the dishes it would be easy to make yourself.
However, recently I started to really enjoy it. I think the rest of Toronto's restaurant prices have inched up to nearly match Fresh's. So yeah, they are still not entirely organic but they aren't so expensive anymore when you look at eating out in Toronto in general.
Plus - I really really like some of the dishes now. In particular the BBQ burger really rocks, and I'm not much of a burger fan.
They have Sweets from the Earth cupcakes, which are harder to come by than their cookies and bars, great smoothies and lots and lots of options.
It's usually TERRIBLY busy in ALL the locations, so sometimes take out is in order.

Pros: Tasty, crafted food, variety, various locatons
Cons: VERY BUSY - ALWAYS!
helloveggy
helloveggy

Great for a vegetarian meal in Toronto

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

Check out my blog for a full review: http://helloveggy.com/2013/07/31/fresh-restaurant-review/

Pros: Food, Locations
Cons: Busy, Cleanliness, Space
krissimi
krissimi

Still one of Toronto's best!

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Fresh is now a classic to me.. Love them. I've had almost everything on the menu for the past 20 years... I've been disappointed only 2 times but both items have since greatly improved... I only miss the original spot on Bloor... It's always upbeat and busy... Not always as cool music from years back... it all depends on who is in control of the stereo.

Pros: food and drink, atmosphere and service
Cons: not organic
saveur
saveur

Inconsistent

3 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2013

I used to enjoy going to Fresh. My standard order included some combination of the roasted veg wrap and the sweet potato fries with miso gravy and a drink. Veering away from these gave me inconsistent results. Sometimes ok, sometimes really bad. Dressings can be bland. Do not even try the soba noodles, you will be disappointed. Limpy, overcooked, and flavourless. I like that they have half size portions which are perfect for normal people. :)

However, now that I have the recipe for their fabulous miso gravy, I can make it at home when I want it. Actually most of their dishes have me thinking, I could make this at home. Especially once you procure their numerous cookbooks.

Pros: half-size portions, sweet potato fries and miso gravy
Cons: inconsistent flavour
Pink herbivore
Pink herbivore

Mmmmmm!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

This place is amazing, all their fresh bowls are so unique and delicious! Sometimes i actually drive down to Toronto just to eat here!

Chloe777
Chloe777

totally miss Fresh...

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

Really really great food!! I love the tofu with wasabi! Lots of great tasting smoothies, and I'll never forget the tofu cheesecake!! Too bad i don't live in Toronto anymore, I totally miss eating there!

Pros: great food , fast service , lots of healty choices
Lucylu
Lucylu

Four days in Toronto, four meals in Fresh!

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2011

My boyfriend and I were travelling around Canada and were in Toronto for four days. We discovered Fresh on the first lunchtime and subsequently ate there for one of our meals a day. The food is fantastic, particularly the Beach Bowl and the sweet potato fries. I had a take away blueberry muffin and it was fantastic for breakfast the next morning! Heh, I was on holiday!

Their alcohol list is rather limited, but my boyfriend really rated the beer and I found the wine passable.

Service was really friendly and helpful as I'm terrible at making choices when I have so many vegan options on the menu!!

I also bought the recipe book, "ReFresh", which I highly recommend.

My only criticism is the loos/bathrooms were really grotty and needed refurbishment or a seriously good clean!

Pros: Great food, Fab' service, Cakes!
Cons: Grotty bathrooms
iwilldeny
iwilldeny

expensive, but I'd go again

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

I found it a bit expensive, but I would go again. I got one of the bowls (Green Goddess) and while it wasn't the tastiest thing I've eaten I definitely felt pretty awesome after eating this. A good place to go if you're in the mood for a healthy meal.

Pros: beautiful space, quick service, healthy cuisine
Cons: expensive
Ohkamp
Ohkamp

Consistent, quality food

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

Never had a bad meal here. While it is a bit more expensive than other cafes, you get what you pay for. High quality food, healthy portions, and great taste. For those looking for something heavy, go for the BBQ burger. The bowls are really filling as well and I love the Powerhouse when I'm starving. Amazing sweet potato fries with the most incredible vegan garlic mayo you could dream up. For a refreshing shake, try the Shamrock.

Pros: Quality, Many Options, Great tasting
Cons: Price, Crowded
me to
me to

Very Disappointing

2 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

Needs improvement
Place looks nice, menu is interesting, service is bad and arrogant. you'd get a far better one from any random restaurant that knows nothing about customer service. Default fries were soggy sweet potato. I wanted to try the blueberry pie, but given the massive disappointment I cut my losses and ran. Some of the "bowls" people had ordered looked interesting.

Pros: great smoothie
Cons: bad customer service, unpleasant food
Ken4057
Ken4057

Good for people watching

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2010

I prefer Fresh on Crawford for its quieter atmosphere. Fresh on Bloor can be so freaking loud b/c of its acoustics and capacity. Fresh on Spadina is somewhere in between.

The FOS patio is a particularly nice addition. Great for people watching in the summer as long as you don't mind constant traffic on busy Spadina Avenue.

The food is much the same as the other restaurants, which have been reviewed elsewhere at length. I will only say that the miso gravy rocks and goes well in the Dragon Bowl along with griled zucchini and tomato. Yum.

Buy their cookbook(s) and make the dishes yourself!

Pros: consistently decent, huge menu
Cons: overpriced, busy
ekim
ekim

Bad Owners, Poor Mgmt

2 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2010

First thing wrong with this place: Wraps are not vegan and they don't tell you unless you indicate that you are vegan. It has been this way for some time now, but they are "looking for an alternative"

Second thing wrong: They treat their employees like crap, not a good thing for a restaurant like this one. Most people probably don't care, but if you think it's important to give your business to companies that treat their workers with respect and dignity, then choose another place for tonight's dinner. I've had friends that worked there who've been fired without a reason, shifts cut while they hired more people, and who have been transferred to another location without notice or consideration that they had just moved to avoid having to take transit. The operation is poorly managed.

On the positive side, the food tastes really good. Too bad...

dagny70
dagny70

Loved it!

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2009

Having been to 'Fresh on Bloor' for lunch a few days earlier, my partner & I came here for dinner on our last night in Toronto. We really loved it, it was one of the best places we ate on our trip across Canada. Staff were really nice & friendly, and the atmosphere and ambience was laid back and mellow. I had the dragon bowl, which was delicious - lots of noodles and tofu, yum. My partner had one of the veggie burgers and sweet potato fries, which was also lovely. We would definitley eat here again, if only to work our way through the menu! Great choice.

Pros: Great, tasty food, Great choice, Value for money
sullivusb
sullivusb

Worth a visit!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

We went here twice on our trip to Toronto. The first was for Sunday brunch and the second was for dinner. The dinner was excellent - we had the holiday wrap, dragon on noodles, tostadas for an appetizer, and blueberry pie. The wrap and dragon were both excellent. The tostada was a bit unique - a slightly different take on the typical tostada with carrots and beets on top. The blueberry pie was good, but not anything really special.

The brunch was good. We had the pancakes with fresh berries and the tofu scramble of the day, which was tofu scramble in a wrap with roasted red peppers and sauteed greens. Both were good, my only real complaint was that the brunch menu wasn't very large. I would have preferred a larger selection.

So... We would highly recommend Fresh for a lunch or dinner, but I would suggest heading elsewhere for a larger brunch selection.

Pros: Very tasty food, Healthy, fresh ingredients, Unique combinations
Cons: Brunch selection somewhat small, A tad bit on the pricy side, tables a bit close together
evejon
evejon

Pleasant Surprise!

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2009

My boyfriend and I ate here instead of Fressen for a change, and it was a pleasant surprise! We had intended to go to Fresh on Bloor, but it was packed so we came to Fresh on Spadina despite the lower rating. We had actually stopped in earlier in the afternoon for a juice (very good!), and ended up coming back for supper! I ordered the mega life salad - it was totally fresh, not over dressed, and had lots of toppings like nuts and seeds and sprouts. They were happy to sub tempeh for the tofu for no extra charge, and it was delicious. They have a good selecetion of dressings, and are great about substitutions! My boyfriend ordered the mushroom onion burgers with fries - he said the burger was particularly good, and the fries were perfect - large and crunchy! The peanut dip he ordered was also spectacular! I tried a lemonade, made with fresh lemon juice and only marginally sweetened. My boyfriend ordered a piece of blueberry pie for dessert, and I had the caramel latte with soy milk (they have VEGAN caramel sauce! Listen up, Starbucks!) Overall, it was awesome - they were very near all vegan, and I wish they would just take the dairy cheese/milk options off the menu and embrace their vegan-ness! One con - it was pretty busy, and the tables are close together - not great if your table neighbours decide to strike up a conversation about hunting/butchering/how to kill animals/skin animals/best gourmet meats, etc. Oh, how I wish I were joking.
Beyond that, we will defintely be back to Fresh on Spadina- and I look forward to trying Fresh on Bloor!

Pros: Delicious, V. Healthy options, Variety
Cons: Non-vegan options
sherill
sherill

Good but not great like it used to be

2 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2009

I'm torn when reviewing Fresh. It used to be our favourite casual restaurant. We went there a couple times a month, sometimes more and it was always a great experience. Unfortunately over the last couple years, there has been a steady decline in the quality of the food and the staff as well. Servers used to be VERY friendly and helpful and the food was always consistently great. Now, it's hit and miss. Their very popular crispy tofu is about one tenth as good as it was a few years ago. They seem to be cheaping out on everything. They also substitute items that aren't comparable without letting you know. My favourite rice bowl used the be the Ninja bowl. It was brown rice with fresh spinach, sun dried tomatoes, pea shoots and crispy tofu. The last time I got it for take-out, they substituted baby romaine for the spinach. Ever had WARM slightly wilted/slimy lettuce??? Yuk. It was disgusting by the time I got it home to eat it. The crispy tofu is less than crispy these days too. it's like they're trying to stretch the batter to cover three times more tofu. I also hate that the kitchen staff don't wear hair nets. I've gotten a hair in my food more than once? Why go back at all you might ask? Nostalgia. It was once terrific. I guess I'm hoping they'll fire someone and return to their glory days. Haven't been in a while so maybe they've improved. For those who've never been there before, you'd probably really like it since you don't know what it was like before. It is still good compared to many other restaurants.

Pros: Healthy food, Fast take-out, juices are great
Cons: gone downhill over the years, service isn't great, kitchen staff needs to wear hair nets!
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

Love Fresh

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2009

Not my fav Fresh but the one I go to the most cuz of the location. The food is always amazing. Even my carnivore friends love it.

Pros: Food, Juice, Location
Cons: Loud, Cramped
Gretchen Gehrke
Gretchen Gehrke

Excellent food, excellent service!

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

On a weekend trip to Toronto, four of us ate lunch here and each one of us was blown away! Sooo delicious! I had a steamed veggie bowl with soba noodles that was delicious, a friend had an excellent asian salad, others had "burgers" and the sauces were incredible! The cornbread and sweet potato fries were mediocre, but everything else was bursting with flavor and had good texture. The service was great -- our water glasses were never empty -- even though it was packed. I highly recommend it!

Pros: healthy, fast, made-to-order
Sorriso.capo
Sorriso.capo

Great Pancakes, Bad Service

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2008

The atmosphere is pretty neat. I really loved the pancakes and tofu burrito..but it came with a another price-the service was bad.
Took at least 8 mins to take our drink orders..and another 15 for the bill :-/ not to mention it wasn't crowded.

Pros: Atmosphere, Pancakes, location
Cons: Service, Was it worth the price?
kennyp353
kennyp353

Disappointing

2 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2008

Place looks nice, menu is interesting, service is friendly if a little inefficient. But the coconut tempeh appetiser was gross - what little flavour the tempeh had clashed violently with both the coconut and the dipping sauce. And the "deluxe burger" was also disappointing - you'd get a far better one from any random restaurant that knows nothing of vegetarian food. Default fries were soggy sweet potato. The blueberry and mango smoothie was excellent - perhaps they should have stuck to being just a juice bar. The three items listed above were $30 plus tip, which seems a little excessive. I wanted to try the blueberry pie, but given the massive disappointment I cut my losses and ran. Some of the "bowls" people had ordered looked interesting.

This is the closest listed restaurant west of the centre of town. Save yourself the disappointment and walk a little further to one of the others instead.

Pros: great smoothie, close to the west end of town
Cons: unpleasant food, expensive
philjdomm
philjdomm

Conveniently available

3 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2008

Outdoor seating; sometimes can be super busy and sometimes ncie and quiet.
the www.Veg.ca discount ard works only on TAKE OUT.

Deano
Deano

Busy but good

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2007

It gets packed but you can't deny the quality of the food. We went twice and were suitably impressed with the fresh and delicious nosh. I can't remember any music - maybe it was drowned out by the industrial-sized juicing machine.

Pros: Quality grub
Cons: Busy

Dear Owner and Manager of Fresh on Spadina: