Fresh Mint

Small veggie restaurant with modern decor. Menu includes citrus spare ribs, black pepper steak, tapioca dessert, and others. The owners were the original creators of Fresh Mint in Paia, on Maui island. All vegan food, but some desserts may not be vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Vietnamese, Thai

First Review by energie
J9Main
J9Main

Great food, Amazing staff

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

This was a great find! We had the Kung Pao Chicken, Mint Fresh Roll, and Lemon Grass Beef, all of which were delicious. The portions were large, and the service was wonderful. We also had the mint lemonade- best lemonade ever!!

eirrac
eirrac

amazing food!!! extremely vegan friendly

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

love, love, love this place! i can't believe i haven't written a review yet. the first time we came, was right after our friend married us on top of south mountain on 1/12/11. we've been coming at least once a month since then. the food is fresh and made when ordered, so don't expect to pop in here for fast food. this is a family run business and we are usually waited on by the daughter or the dad while mom is cooking in back. the service can be a little odd at times, but we're servers so we're probably overly critcal;-) some of our faves are the spicy ginger soy beef, the spicy lemongrass soup (only spicy if you put the side sauces on it), hot pot, vegetable fried rice, and kung pao chicken. when we first started coming, they would let you bring in your own wine and uncork it for you. since then, i believe their license for that has lapsed. my only wish is that they would get it back:-)

Pros: awesome food
Cons: no alcohol, closed on sundays
FromVegtoVegan
FromVegtoVegan

loved! almost completely vegan

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

Everything I had was delicious. Only 4 items on the menu were NOT vegan. Cute cafe. Super friendly staff. Fresh Mint Tomatoes were a unique dish and completely wonderful.

Pros: almost all vegan, fresh mint tomatoes, delicious food
Cons: none
Veda S
Veda S

Delicious!

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

Nice little place. Delicious food. Good service!

Cons: The take home boxes are made of styrofoam.
HappyCowKeown
HappyCowKeown

A little slice of vegan Heaven

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2014

We ordered take-out from here for the first time yesterday and it was FABULOUS! Fresh, crispy veggies in flavorful entrees. The eggplant dishes are the best I have ever tasted. Husband & kiddos all devoured the food and are craving more!

Oh and we ordered take-out because we had just got off the plane and were tired and crabby....but I still couldn't find a reason to give the food less than 5 stars!

Now we just need one of these in Boulder please...

Pros: fresh, all vegan, flavorful, colorful
Cons: We live in the wrong State to eat here regularly!

radtechg9
radtechg9

Pad Thai Is Amazing

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I have always loved Fresh Mint's PadThai. I just got back from a 2 week trip to Thailand... expecting to have the most amazing Pad Thai I had ever had while on the trip. Guess what. ...nothing compared to the sauce they make at Fresh Mint. It is my gold standard now. Also love the spring rolls with peanut sauce... great presentation. Their blended coffee is also a super treat!

Pros: Delicious, Consistent, Clean
PennyU
PennyU

Love This Place!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

Fresh Mint is a wonderful place to eat. We try to eat there once a week when we are snow birds. We've tried many of the dishes which are so delicious and are presented in an artistic and simply beautiful way. They have a quick, inexpensive lunch menu in addition to the regular menu. The owners are very nice and the service is excellent. The only improvements would be if it was much bigger and they had locations nationwide. But then, it probably wouldn't be as good.

Pros: Outstanding food, Fresh, Many choices
kalangford01
kalangford01

• herbivore

Refreshing Surprise

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

We loved this sweet little restaurant. Great food, great atmosphere. Lots of vegan dishes to choose from. Owner was very attentive and presentation was outstanding.

Tigra220
Tigra220

Good but may NOT be 100% vegan

2 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2012

I have visited twice and ordered the Kung Pao & Black Pepper Steak specials, and the Imperial Rolls. Everything was delicious. I loved the spices, flavor, & the preparation. They even included steamed veggies. There is enough food in each entree to either feed 2 people or last 1 person 2 days.

However, when I asked about their desert I was told that the tapioca was vegan, but the chocolate & carrots cakes may not be. She said that they come from an outside vendor so she wasn't sure.

Well, my thoughts are that if you are branding your establishment as 100% vegan, then everything you sell darn well should be.

Pros: large portions , Tasty food, Plenty of parking
Cons: May NOT be 100% vegan!
nardanddee
nardanddee

In Love

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Absolutely in love with this place. Very friendly staff and awesome choices. Food is seasoned to perfection.

Pros: large portions, tasty food, wide variety
dara
dara

Delicious, Healthful Food

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2011

My omnivore husband and I loved this place! It had many healthful and delicious options. We loved a tofu curry dish and the Fresh Island Green Salad was huge (enough for 2) and made with this amazingly-flavored, oil-free dressing! It was great to fill up on delicious vegan food without feeling guilty/heavy afterwards. Sure, we love vegan cheese-steaks, but it was really nice to instead eat a light, yet filling meal at Fresh Mint. We would definitely return to this place next time we are in Arizona (or Hawaii, where they apparently originated).

RachelRummel
RachelRummel

Vietnamese... Vegan... and Kosher?

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2011

First off, let's give some praise to the concept: A vegan, vietnamese-style, Kosher restaurant? That's the coolest thing I've heard since someone explained nonstick frying pans to me. Unfortunately, the service can be a bit slow, and a bit weird, but you've got to give them some credit for opening a place like this.

Most of the dishes are composed of rice/noodles, steamed veggies, and one of their vegan meats like chicken, beef, ribs, fish, etc., doused in sauce. It's awesome sauce (saucesome?) but it pretty much negates a lot of the healthier aspects of the dish. Why not wait to add those extra calories with some vegan carrot or chocolate cake instead? As far as recommendations, the lemongrass tofu rolls and green papaya salad are both light, filling and fresh tasting dishes. If you're a sauce-o-holic, opt for the tasty BBQ citrus spare ribs or soy fish in a clay pot.

....For those of you who don't want to read any of that, refer to the short & sweet version below:

Concept: hell yeah.
Service: weird.
Selection of "meat": awesome.
Vegan desserts: much appreciated.
Dishes: varied & satisfactory.
Sauces: too heavy.
Overall: 3.5 stars. I'll probably go back at some point.

Pros: Exotic, 100% Vegan, Vegan Desserts!
Cons: Decadent, Weird Service, Can be Pricey
afoona
afoona

I usually hate faux meat,but here..

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

I had the Kung Paolo soy chicken and it was awsome. my friends had the golden curry veggies, lemongrass tofu and ribs and they were excellent as well. chappo! !

HowardPacker
HowardPacker

Excellent and Affordable

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

Had the Mongolian "beef," lemonade and mango tapioca "pudding." Excellent! I am fully vegan. Would absolutely come here again!

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy, Good portions
Cons: Might be a little hard to find.
keesimps
keesimps

Great Food!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2011

We go to Fresh Mint as often as we can make it to N. Scottsdale... We love it; they even remember us when we come in. I have tried many items and still go back to my favorite, the #32 Kung Pao Chicken; I'm writing this review b/c I am currently enjoying my leftovers for lunch and realized that I have never posted a review.

Their food is always packed with great flavors, is fresh and looks beautiful when it comes out. The one thing to try when you are there is orgasmic - it's their Coconut Mango Tapioca pudding that takes them 10-14 hours to cook! Now that is dedication and you can taste the love put into it... A great place that you have to try if in the area.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Selection, Fresh Ingredients
jlo5616
jlo5616

Delicious little place in Scottsdale

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2010

I stopped into Fresh Mint and had the pad thai with added soy chicken, and my boyfriend had the mongolian soy beef lunch special. We split the imperial role appetizer - which was AMAZING!!! Both mock meats (chicken & beef) were a tad salty but still tasty. The pad thai was excellent with lots of vegetables, rice noodles with bean sprouts, and topped with lime and peanuts. My boyfriend liked the mongolian lunch special which came with rice and salad on the side, though I think his was saltier than mine. The only disappointment was in their dessert menu, which listed chocolate and carrot cakes. I am a choco-holic so I pounced on the opportunity for chocolate cake, but when I asked if it was vegan (just to be sure) I was so disappointed to find out the cake contains eggs!!! The cake has no place in their great all-vegan restaurant and I hope they will consider finding another bakery to provide 100% vegan desserts in the future.

Pros: Variety, Flavorful & colorful dishes
Cons: A little pricey, Dessert menu isn't 100% vegan
Allan
Allan

• non-vegetarian

Favorite Vegetarian place

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

This is my favorite restaurant by far and I decided to signup to Happy Cow just so that I can help spread the word. I found the restaurant a couple of years ago, and started trying it out more and more. It is extremely difficult to find good healthy eating in Arizona, and this is the one place I frequent at least once a month.

Suggestions:
Appetizers - I always start with the Summer Roll or Fried Imperial Rolls. I'd go with the Imperial if you are new to vegetarian. The summer rolls are delicious and worth a try if you've tried Vietnamese rolls before.

Favorite dinner options:
#17 Stir Fried Noodles - Good entry level dish if you're new. It is a good size dish and I usually do not finish it unless I'm starving. Very light, not oily, got a tangy and salty flavor to it. Add some hot sauce for spice.
#33 Hot Pot - If you're starving, this is the dish to get. Comes extremely hot though and it takes a while to prepare so better get some appetizers. Good for 2 if you're just tasting. Very flavorful, sweet and tangy, lots of vegetables and tofu.
#35 Mushroom Wonder - The dish to go with if you love mushrooms. The mushrooms are very meaty, and with the rice, still gives you a full meal. The sauce is very sweet.

There you go, hope you try it!

Pros: Good value, Excellent, Friendly Staff
nzinghamaat
nzinghamaat

ReFreshing Experience

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

I was visiting Arizona and always do my HappyCow research to find spots to eat while there. I was pleased to have an excellent experience at Fresh Mint. The owner was very friendly, and accomodated my tastebuds :-) I ordered the pad thai and it was one of the best pad thai's i've had and i've eaten at a lot of thai restaurants. In addition, the fresh jasmine tea was completely refreshing! The only downfall was that they were not open Sunday, Monday was a holiday, and I left Arizona on tuesday, so i was only able to eat there once :-( I will definitely be returning to Fresh Mint any time i'm in Phoenix or the surrounding areas!

Pros: good value, excellent tasting food, friendly owner and staff
jeffwelty
jeffwelty

Great Food

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2010

All, or almost all, of the food here was vegan. I'd describe it as pan-Asian. Everything we had was good, and some of it was excellent. Some members of our group weren't vegetarian, and they enjoyed it also. The rest of the experience -- the service, the ambience, etc. -- was only OK. It's a strip mall location. But if we're ever back in the Phoenix area, we'll go there again. The food was really terrific.

vegoutbabe
vegoutbabe

Go here NOW!

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2009

Ever since they opened up I go as many times I can. The black pepper steak is to die for! The clay pot fake fish soup was delicious! The spring rolls were yummy, and the service is so friendly!I recomend comming at lunch time when the food is cheaper!

Pros: Great food, close to house, friendly service
Cons: Its almost too good!
drwiz
drwiz

Excellent pick

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2009

Located in a shopping "strip mall" the restaurant looks very unassuming. However the menu was varied with multiple good choices. The service was above average and the food was excellent. The citrus ribs were outstanding, they did a tapioca concoction for desert that was first rate, and it was all fairly priced. A bit of a pain to get to, but well worth the effort.

Pros: selection, quality of food, fair prices
Cons: dreary setting
sanctuary520
sanctuary520

Vegetables bland and undercooked

3 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2009

It is great to have another all-vegan option available in Arizona. The cafe atmosphere was clean and bright (and hot with the July sun coming in all the windows). The owner doubled as the server and was very friendly. Being somewhat skeptical of the ingredients in mock meat products, even those in dishes or restaurants that are marketed as vegan, I opted for the sesame tofu. The tofu was very yummy (of course, most things that are fried and salty are, right?), but the vegetables that came along with it were undercooked - even for a stir fry (almost raw) - and bland (even though the dish was supposed to be "spicy"). The accompanying brown rice was fluffy and nutty. Strange not to have soy sauce or other condiments available on the table. My friend's entree also was incredibly bland. Disappointingly, we were excited to order the plantains from the dessert menu, but they said they did not have them and never had (which made me wonder why they left them on the menu). Vegan -- awesome. Food -- good. The best vegan Asian I've ever had? Nope. Price -- a little high for what you get quality and quantity. However, I would go back again if I am in north Scottsdale and it's convenient, though. Good to have options where you can eat everything on the menu.

Carol64
Carol64

Amazing place!

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2009

Went to Fresh Mint during a business trip to Arizona and was thrilled to find Fresh Mint! One of my friends suggested it and the three of us that went were absolutely thrilled. Everything about this place rocks. The food is incredible. My fiance had the pepper steak and it was so delicious. I had the Kung Pao Chicken, and my friend had the ribs and they were all hits. Everything on the menu is fresh, delicious, and truly amazing, even if you are not vegan. The desserts are to die for so save room, which will be hard since the entire menu is wonderful and if you're like me, you'll want everything.

Our service was impressive, as was the simple, yet tasteful atmosphere. We even learned something since we were asked a trivia question by our waiter, who is also one of the owners.

Once thing is for sure, the next time I'm in the area, I will go back and try some of the other things on the menu I wanted.

If you are in the Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale area, do yourself a HUGE favor and go to Fresh Mint. You'll love it!

Pros: Food, Service, Food!
WeedyGirl
WeedyGirl

Pretty good

3 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2009

We ordered a soy chicken dish that came in strips with a tangy sauce and the pepper "steak". Both dishes were good and the perfect portion of food. The food was fresh and good, the table cloths were a nice touch, but, at least on the day we were there, the service was a bit lacking. Our waitress might have been new, because every question we asked, (including, "may we have some salt?") were responded to with a long delay and a somewhat blank stare. Also, we thought the meals were overpriced-- $38 for 2 meals, 1 small appetizer and 1 dessert... we drank plain tap water. Overall, it's nice to have vegetarian restaurants in the area, I can see why some people would like this restaurant, but because the price and style of food were different than we like, we probably won't go back.

Pros: clean, fresh food, all veg
Cons: price, little food variety, limited desserts
teamlarson
teamlarson

I LOVE This Place!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2009

My family and I decided to try Fresh Mint after reading Happy Cow reviews, and none of us was disappointed ... including the non-veg folks! WOW, was it good! The atmosphere was cheery and upbeat, and service was fast and friendly. We started off with cucumber rolls (yum!), and we each tried a different dish and sampled from each other. I had the ginger soy beef, and it was absolutely fabulous! It was hard to share little bits for the rest of my family to try - until I realized that their food was just as wonderful!
We'll definitely be going back.
BTW - my Google map showed Fresh Mint to be on the southwest corner of Scottsdale Road and Thunderbird. It's actually on the northwest corner.

Pros: EXCELLENT FOOD, nice atmosphere, great portion size, friendly service, convenient location
Cons: I'd love to see more of this franchise!
iTom
iTom

Great Find!

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

We were out on Christmas day looking for anyplace that was open and found Fresh Mint purely by chance. It was wonderful. The food is billed as "Modern Healthy Cuisine", and it's very good. Mostly Vietnamese with other Asian influences. Portions are very large. A large soup is enough for two people. Excellent Pho (5 Spice Noodle Soup) with both seitan and tofu in it, plus lots of veggies, sauces, etc. Great curries, especially the Lemongrass Curry. I had the Vegetarian Black Pepper Steak which was wonderful. I had to fight off my friends who were constantly "sampling" it.

The restaurant is very nice - a little more upscale than some vegetarian places but still casual. Very good service and great value for the money. This is a good place to support - we all need more restaurants like it.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Excellent value
Rox
Rox

Feelin' Fresh Mint

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

I heard about this place from my mom in Chicago...
Thanks mom!
If it wasn't for her I don't know when I would have ventured out to Fresh Mint?
What a great find---although I am located in downtown Phoenix--this place is well worth the drive.
So many choices...fresh veggie stuffed spring rolls with peanut sauce, a good variety of entrees including stuffed tomatos, "spare ribs" and "soy fish" with choice of steamed white rice or brown.
I look forward to going again and sampling more from their menu.

Pros: Fresh taste, Desserts, Service with a smile
Cons: No website, Should be in Phoenix
energie
energie

Fresh Mint Rocks!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2008

I love Fresh Mint! Everything I have had here is delicious and I've been here several times. The restaurant itself is very clean; the staff is extremely courteous. If FM were a little closer to CenPho, I'd probably be including into my monthly rotation however it is worth the drive.

Pros: Delicious food, Healthy, Fresh

Dear Owner and Manager of Fresh Mint: