Fresh First

Serves meat, veg options available. Fully gluten-free eatery and juicery in the city's yachting district. Offers internationally inspired dishes with a modern healthy spin. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Juice bar, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by panyvinito
Veganesque
Veganesque

$2.00 For Water? Seriously?

3 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

Food was good, ambiance good, and the service was good. Beware of the defensive, argumentative proprietor! In this establishment it is assumed that you want to pay for water from their "very expensive filtration system. " The proprietor, as she referred to herself, became very defensive and and stated that "I'm was sorry you missed it on the menu, but I expect my customers to read the entire menu." This woman has lost her mind and needs training in customer relations. I've never been to a restaurant were the owner blames the customer. Unfortunately, it didn't end there. She came to our table to antagonize us a bit more about why it was okay for her not to tell us at order they would charge us for water. Good food with high prices may be dealt with; scary proprietor that blames her customers for her poor decisions, not happening again. I won't be going back.

Pros: None Due To Scary Owner
Cons: Scary Owner, Defensive Owner, High Prices
Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Know what to expect

2 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

I visited Fresh First during its opening week because I am vegan and so is my girlfriend (she also eats gluten-free). After our first visit there we were pretty disappointed. First, they charged us for water. It was special filtered water but still. When you're sitting down at a restaurant, you don't expect to have to pay for something like that. Second, the food was very bland. Third, none of their food was marked to be vegan or organic. And finally, they were out of several options. But it was their first week open so we cut them some slack and fully expected to come back.

My girlfriend went again several weeks later and she had almost the same experience as before, except this time she got a cookie that was vegan and so delicious she got another one to bring home to me. And it was AMAZING...and not just in the "yeah it's good for a vegan and gluten-free cookie" kind of way...but in a "wow this cookie is so good there's no way it's a vegan and gluten-free cookie" kind of way.

I decided to give Fresh First one more try because, like most of you, I want to see places like this succeed. The good parts are that they stopped charging for water and the cookie was just as good as before. Unfortunately I ran into some of the same issues as my first experience. First, the food was still bland. It's not bad by any means...it's definitely edible and fresh tasting...it's just missing a lot of flavor. Second, nothing is marked as to what is vegan and what is not. I asked and a few things were rattled off but it'd be SO much better if things were identified. Finally, it says that it's organic but it's unclear as to what is or is not organic. Normally something like this would not worry me much but this place also claims to be the first gluten-free restaurant in South Florida when it's well-known that they opened like six months after South Florida's actual first gluten-free restaurant opened only a few hundred yards away from them. Stuff like that makes me weary.

At the end of the day, you simply have to know what to expect when coming here. The food is ok. They barely use salt or seasoning so expect the food to not blow your socks off. If you're looking to get your socks blown off, get the vegan chocolate chip cookie. It's awesome. If you have any specific allergies that this place caters to (peanut, gluten, or soy), then this could be a good place for you. I likely won't be going back any time soon but I wouldn't steer people away from here either.

Pros: The chocolate chip cookie, Friendly service, Clean feel to the place and the food
Cons: Bland food, Vegan options not clearly marked
panyvinito
panyvinito

Great Vegan Choices

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

I normally don't go restaurants that are not 100% unless I'm traveling, but I had heard a lot of great feedback about this place, even my husband who is 100% raw vegan went there and loved it, so I decided to go.
I ordered the chilli and a gran bowl. I loved both, just needed a little bit of salt for my taste.
The juices were great! I loved that everything is gluten free... not sure about the organic part, I think they said they are organic which is awesome!
This is going to be our place to take clients out to eat so they can get their animal flesh and we can get our vegan food :)

Pros: fresh, good location, prices are good

Dear Owner and Manager of Fresh First: