Fresh Bakery and Cafe Taipei

Vegan bakery and cafe with multicultural offerings with bread from Europe, South Africa, and Asia. Opened Jan 2013. Fruit bread, nut bread, savory bread, burgers, coffee, tea, juice, pizza. Desserts include chocolate mousse, cakes, cupcakes and cookies. Near Kunyang MRT station, one-minute walk from exit 4. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Pizza, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery
466, Sec. 6, Zhongxiao East Rd, Nangang (Xiangyang Road)
Taipei, Taiwan
02-27831339

Mon-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm

• Cash only

First Review by cj the taniwha
LoriFromAbroad26

NOT the best vegan pizza but tasty cakes

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2015

Hi, I've been there once with my friends and we're back to share our thoughts. We liked the cakes, they were very tasty, 85 DEGREES style.

We were disappointed with the pizza after reading the reviews. we expected some kind of fluffy pastry, special crust and flavors pizza with an unique yeast, but what we got was a Loving Hut pizza with added fake cheese and fake bacon that tasted like real bacon, the one that Soul R. uses too. I would be curious to read the label of that fake meat or to have it tasted in a lab since I'm a vegan for ethical reasons. They use it in their bakery products too, so I think they should make sure it's 100% vegan, which it can't be since it tastes like bacon, but anyway. me and my friends are the only ones worried about this or, who at least noticed.

Their cakes are 100% vegan and delicious. That was reassuring after what happened to us in Soul R. and Sophie's Garden, who were supposed to be all vegan. They have good variety cake-wise but no variety in food. They only gave you 2 pizzas to choose from. That's all. In their description it says they have variety like burgers and other western choices but they didn't.

We liked the cakes a lot but the menu can be improved. Good luck.

Pros: tasty 100% vegan cakes, English menu, English spoken, good atmosphere
Cons: real bacon in their veggie meat, actual menu is different, poor variety in food
    ddddd

Hi there! Everyone has different tastes in pizzas but Ravi and his team make their own pizzas - it's not the Loving Hut pizzas. The "fake bacon" is actually something they worked with to revise and create and it's made from konjac so rest assured it's 100% vegan. When they first opened they had burgers and savory foods but last year dropped it from their menu to focus on items for the bakery, when I head over to fill up on my baked goods Ill be sure to mention that to them!

LoriFromAbroad26

Hi, they told me that they order the pizza crust. That's weird. If you do go there again maybe you can tell them that we got sick from the pizza and cake last time we visited. Best wishes.

kim2121
kim2121

Maybe a Bad Day?

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

Such great reviews, maybe I was there on a bad day? I expected a cafe-type of environment, or at least a restaurant where I could try the pizza mentioned in the other reviews, but it was definitely more of a bakery/warehouse environment when I visited. Although I was the only customer, they had to clear off a table just for me to sit down, and I felt like I should hurry up and eat so they could have their table space back. I tried the curry bread, which was very good. The people working there were also very polite, but I would only go back if I was in the neighborhood and wanted baked goods to go.

Pros: Tasty Baked Goods, Friendly Service
Cons: Atmosphere
Lbeboipinoy
Lbeboipinoy

Best veg pizza in Taiwan so far

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

One of the few vegetarian bakery in Taiwan. Family own business. Indian and Taiwanese type of food. 1 year old so pretty good for a vegan restaurant food and service wise

Pros: best veg pizza so far, vegan cakes look delicious, free wifi
Cons: need to cover their fresh bake food from mosquito, walls need decoration for a more friendly environm, have a big TV... but it needs to be on for it to b

yvonne welzen
yvonne welzen

Delicious desserts and coffee

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

i visited the Fresh bakery before and from the start loved the food
The owner is constantly trying to improve the quality,it is very good already,but according to him it always can get better
I enjoyed a delicious tiramisu and a very good cup of coffee this time

Pros: Delicious food, Good coffee, Very friendly staff
katy3
katy3

Fantastic vegan pizza, bread, and desserts!

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

Thank you happycow.net for allowing me to find this wonderful vegan bakery! Vegan or not, if you're in Taipei, it is well worth the subway trip to visit this place.

We stopped by on a Thursday afternoon. There were two types of breads left, a taro one and one filled with dried fruits. I picked up 2 of each along with two vanilla and two coffee cupcakes (sans frosting). We ate the cupcake right away and they were sooo moist and not overly sweet! Just the way I like it. Their bread was the lightest bread I've ever had. They were so soft and bouncy. The taro one had bits of taro inside and the dried fruits one was filled (I mean filled) with lots of what tasted like dried cherries and raisins. We loved the bread and the cupcakes so much that we went back to try their pizza the next day for lunch.

Not sure if my words can do the pizza justice, but I will do my best. It was thin-crust with vegan cheese, mushrooms (maybe 2 or 3 different kinds), olives, corn, and maybe cooked spinach(?). It was so flavorful. The mushrooms were definitely the stars. The corn added a nice texture. The olives were the good olives and were not salty. It was not dry yet not greasy at all. Simply put, it was the best pizza I've ever had. the only downside is that it takes a while to prepare and bake, so might want to call ahead.

While we were waiting for the pizza, we tried the curry-filled bread. Oh... it was so yummy! Again, the bread was light and bouncy (gives a very nice mouth feel) and they were not stingy with the curry. The price is definitely reasonable for the quality and quantity of food that you get. After our meal (stuffed at this point), the owner (super nice and friendly!) offered us a free sample of their famous chocolate mousse and a slice of cake. The chocolate mousse was quite good - it was fragrant and not overly sweet. The cake (not sure what kind it was), but it was moist and light. We picked up more bread and an "egg" tart to go. Just ate the "egg" tart and the texture was very similar to the real egg tart. I have no idea how they were able to make vegan "egg" tart, but I'm glad they did.

We asked the owner how they managed to make the bread so light and bouncy. He told us that they use natural yeast from grapes to slow rise the bread. It takes 20 hours for the entire process! No wonder their bread taste so good!

Wish I lived in Taipei, so I can be a regular here. But will definitely come back again every time I'm in Taipei

Pros: Delicious food, Very nice owner, Very short walk from subway station
cj the taniwha
cj the taniwha

Great new vegan bakery in Taipei

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

I have been to Fresh bakery twice since it opened in late January 2013. The staff there are amazingly friendly and nice and are always quick to offer free samples of their latest creations. They have a wide range of cakes, cupcakes, desserts, breads, burger, pizza, tea, coffee and juices. The chocolate mouse and hot chocolate are to die for and the best I have ever tasted. They are planning to offer more new menu items and can answer lots of questions about their products. They include organic ingredients wherever possible and the location is right across the road from exit 4 of Kunyang MRT station. We look forward to coming back regularly!

Pros: Super friendly staff, Delicious food, Free samples!
Cons: Too much packaging

Dear Owner and Manager of Fresh Bakery and Cafe Taipei:

Last updated: 2013/08/27

Added: 2013/03/01

Added by: cj the taniwha