French Meadow Bakery and Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. European style cafe and bakery. Prices moderate to expensive depending on day or night. Has vegetarian and vegan lunch and dinner entrees, vegan desserts, vegan soups and sandwiches. Wi-fi access. Also located at Minneapolis/St. Paul MSP International Airport. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Bakery, American, European, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
2610 Lyndale Ave S
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
612-870-7855

Mon-Thu 6:30am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 6:30am-11:00pm

First Review by condekedar
cookiem
cookiem

Mediocre creativity for great ingredients

3 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

The menu is extensive and draws you in as a vegan - as you think to yourself of all the iterations you will have that will be delicious for lunch or dinner or brunch. Then you order, then you receive your order, then you eat, then…. yes, then….. you realize the intentions are great, the space is nice, the menu is wonderful, the farm-to-table/ local focus is amazing, the dessert case is impressive, the vegan marked items are comforting… but then the actual flavors, textures, mouth feel, nutritional rainbow and satiation are not quite up to par.

So, here's what I can say. The appetizers are great - like the chips (so good!) with salsa/ guacamole and soup and salad. However, the entrees are not filling or healthful enough for my taste, so they might as well just be less healthful and fulfill some other food need. If you like simple sandwiches like burgers and wraps for lunch, this place will do. They try to just make traditional stuff in vegan form, so, it leaves something to be desired.

The desserts look incredible, but…. they are sorely lacking in the texture and quality that I yearn to experience in vegan desserts. To me, it's like these desserts are the desserts that non-vegans try to make and serve that end up having non-vegans say: "I don't like vegan dessert."

However, if your standards are just that this place is better than no place at 10.30 pm at night on a Tuesday, ok, you're good. The lattes are great - you can have almond, coconut, soy, rice or hemp milk. Lots of great teas, too.

Pros: Extensive vegan choices, 5 nondairy milk choices, Desserts plentiful
Cons: Not as healthful as it seems, Vegan versions of "traditional" foods
EverydayTastiness
EverydayTastiness

Awesome Brunch spot

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

Brunch at French Meadow in Minneapolis is one of our weekend favorites.

The classic vegan breakfast (hashbrowns, tofu scramble, vegan sausage, and hemp toast) has been my favorite brunch item for several years, and then my wife suggested I try the kale salad. Yum! I've been getting it every time since.

They use flat kale aka dino kale. They say it is raw, but they clearly have blanched or steamed it for a minute or two. The leaves are softer and slightly curled. They toss it with some gingered tamari and olive oil and sprinkle a generous amount of pumpkin seeds on top. I like mine most with some fresh squeezed lemon. The tangy lemon goes great with the savory seeds.

Pros: Tasty Food, Great Staff
Cons: Parking, Not Cheap
mVEGanliew
mVEGanliew

Fantastic!

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

The atmosphere is awesome. I went there with non-vegan friends, and we all found something delicious. There aren't a ton of vegan options, but there is a handful of appetizing options. There are also some vegan/gluten free desserts.

TillieGarafola
TillieGarafola

Gluten-free, vegan heaven!

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

The menu is extensive with gluten-free and vegan options, which includes dessert. Not many places offer so many options, maybe one or two menu items that fit such a strict diet.

Pros: Well priced, Giant menu, Friendly staff
jhawk
jhawk

Vegan Breakfast & Organic Coffee

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

Thanks to Happy Cow I found this cafe not far from the hostel I was staying at while visiting the Twin Cities for the annual Rhymesayers Soundset Hip Hop Festival. It was early in the morning and the place was hopping. I went for the Vegan Breakfast Plate (Tofu scramble, with vegan sausage, golden hash browns and organic sourdough toast). It was a bit pricy at $9.50, with a vegan scone and organic coffee it was close to a $15 dollar breakfast but I would do it again.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 19, 2012

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Quality, Outdoor Seating
stpaulmn
stpaulmn

A+

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2012

Great restaurant, with always excellent vegetarian choices. This is a great place for both vegetarians and meat eaters -- the food and atmosphere are great.

Jofor4
Jofor4

Nice to have in an airport

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2011

This was a very pleasant surprise to have vegan options in an airport. The black bean chili was great as well as the marinated tofu wrap that came with a small salad. Prices were a bit better I thought then 'regular' airport food but we do not fly that often.

Pros: Vegan, Fast, Convenient
Cons: Price, Limited selections
keevegan
keevegan

Happy welcoming Surprise!

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

It was an icy day in Minneapolis when I, and two of my vegan companions walked wearily out of the cold and into French Meadow Bakery. Our first impression was that we did not belong here. It appeared fancy and upscale especially judging from the other diner's suits and black dresses! We did not have much money to spend and were quite worn for wear from our travels. To the contrary, we received friendly and thorough service. We shared three separate vegan entrees and a few baskets of vegan bread for a fairly affordable price (

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: too classy for a drop in snack.
TamaraO
TamaraO

Awesome!

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

I loved this place! They have a wonderful menu with lots of choices whether you are vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, or eat a gluten-free diet. The food was delicious, colorful and healthy. Our server was smiley and friendly, and the European atmosphere was elegant yet relaxed. I highly recommend it!

Steven
Steven

Good morning, Steven.

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2010

"I am the French Meadow Bakery, so nice to meet you. Would you like the Classic Vegan Scramble?"
"OMG, totally, thanks FMB"
"Thats what we are here for, good food, prompt service, and cute Tegan and Sara table thingies"
"Oh FMB, don't forget to mention your awesome cruelty free options as a sell point"
"Oh yeah, thanks Steven"
Go. Its awesome. I swear. Mistakenly gave us a side of tofu scramble, the brought us the full meal. AMAZING.

Pros: Neat, Downtown, Tofu Scramble
Cons: order wrong. (fixed quickly), Real Tegan and sara not there, not in Va
VeganET
VeganET

LOVE this place

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2010

I love this place. I've been here several times and have never been disappointed. This is a great place to come for breakfast/brunch. Although dinner is great too! The food is excellent and the atmosphere is very relaxing. Loved it!

happyherbivore
happyherbivore

Excellent!

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2009

Their daily vegan specials are amazing as is their crusted seiten cutlets! It's vegan fine dining without the high price!

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Get the Vegan Scone!

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2009

This place is popular, or at least that's what I gathered by how packed it was when I was there or even the times I drove past it. I can see why it is though, the Vegan scone I had for breakfast was amazing. I was told that they are known for a turtle truffle cake so be sure to try that as well; it was too early for me to eat it though.

I felt prices were very reasonable as well. ;)

brittany
brittany

Great dessert

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

I've only had one slice of vegan chocolate cake from French Meadow, but it was heavenly!

Pros: Sooo good
condekedar
condekedar

Superb in every way

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2007

I love this place. The decor and atmosphere are sophisticated and European in feel. The service is super-friendly and attentive and knowledgeable. The food is spectacular. Their vegan stromboli was succulent, subtle and filling. Their vegan turtle cake was the best cake I've ever had, vegan or otherwise. It was moist, not overly sweet, and well balanced with cake, sugar, caramel and nuts. The prices of the food are extremely low given the high class atmosphere and the high quality of the food. The vegan dishes max out at $12 and most are closer to $9; their desserts are $3.95, though in other places, they'd be twice that price, with half the taste. Highly recommended.

Pros: Quality, Prices, Service
Cons: Not 100% vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of French Meadow Bakery and Cafe: