All vegan cafe near Bergmannstr., opened Mar 2012. Serves an assortment of in-house-made cakes, soups, quiche, and other vegan food. Beverages including coffees, teas, hot chocolate, and lemonade. Dishes are clearly marked like gluten-free or nut-free. Cozy wood burning stove inside. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Take-out, Bakery, European, German

Eiro
Eiro

Delicious and cozy

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2016

Whenever I crave quiche, it has to be Freckles! They always have delicious coffees and desserts, but if you want to have a quick lunch the quiche-and-salad combo is the best :) It's also cozy and off the beaten track, and now there's a Veganz nearby :)

Pros: tasty food, excellent coffee, inexpensive
craigmc
craigmc

good deserts, average mains

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2016

had lunch here today and was a little disappointed.
a really nice cafe with lovely staff, just a bit limited. we had the quiche which was really good and by far the best main course. it was spinach and was really creamy with good pastry. we also had a panini with vegan cheese, and was bland. I had the special salad which was really bland with too much Mayo.
I'm really bored of places just ticking vegan Mayo or vegan cheese and that's it, just as bad as bland cafes doing meat with too much cheese and Mayo.
we had two cakes between the three of us, each were really really good.
I like the cafe, just think they need to make more effort with the panini and salads. if you do come here, get the quiche, it's great.

Pros: staff, nice space, cake
Cons: lack of choice
ksh
ksh

Great café

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2016

We went to Freckles for a late sunday breakfast/lunch. We had: paninos, pumpkin spiced latte, hasselnuss latte, brownie, oreo cake and black coffee. Everything was 100%! 10 out of 10! Highly recomended!

Pros: 100% vegan, Cakes
Cons: May be hard to find a place to sit?

woraw
woraw

a place to try

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2016

Wenn you dream of a classic cream cake (but a vegan version) that the place to go! they also have some gluten free cake. It is not the healthiest place to have a vegan cake (they use sugar, wheat and lot of soy) but it is really delicious and beautifully made. The staff is always really nice and the rooms are very cosy and nicely decorated. Great place to show "milk product lover" that alternative exist and that it is still delicious, even better.
I would love see them experimenting with less soy product and more gluten free sugar free version, because they are good at what they do!

Pros: good cake, nice cosy place, friendly staff
julesmonkey
julesmonkey

great

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2016

great little cake cafe run by the super nice nora! highly recommended!

Pros: cake, vegan, location
Cons: size
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Yummy cakes!

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2015

Berlin has so many options and we are desperately trying to fit them all in! I had a salted caramel hot chocolate (big glass) which was one of the best hot chocolates ever. We also had a chocolate cake and a wildberry cake. Both were delicious.

Pros: area, service
Maria K.
Maria K.

The best vegan cakes ever

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2015

I have been to this place so many times that I can say all of their cakes taste amazing. I usually get 2 pieces at once because I am really missing that type of cakes in other countries. The cafe is quite small, in rush hours it might get cozy. The stuff is nice and always very open for a chat.

Pros: Delicious, Delicious, Delicious
Vegan since 1990
Vegan since 1990

Oh my goodness, it does not get better than this.

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2015

This small little vegan eatery is so amazing. My spouse and I had the best ever vegan cheesecake in the world. Truly. It was so delicious, even if you are not vegan, you would adore this. It was rich and creamy and tasted like the cheesecakes of an earlier time, when they were made with love and the very best ingredients.
We also had vegan quiche, yes vegan quiche. I have been vegan since 1990, my spouse since 1991. We have not had quiche in that long. It was fabulous. In addition, I had a mocha cake and he had a brownie, chocolate cake, and beet soup. (Yes, we are gargantuan eaters when we find vegan delectables. The service was great. The atmosphere sweet and cozy. This is a must if you are a vegan and in Berlin. This should be a must for anyone who wants wonderful food prepared with peace and love.

Pros: Amazing cakes, You can get vegan quiche!, Quaint and cozy
frontrunner
frontrunner

Nice litte café

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2015

These cakes are awesome! You won't believe that they vegan, but they are! Cozy little café, friendly stuff, great cakes.

Pros: Best vegan cakes in town, Friendly stuff, Cozy
Flemmchen1973
Flemmchen1973

Best Cake !!

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2015

This is a great place, they have the most perfect Nougattorte, and the panini and hot drinks are excellent too. 5 stars!

chargrilledcharlie
chargrilledcharlie

Best Cake!!!

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2015

I had the coconut cake and the cheesecake and the panino and the panino was really good and the coffee was too. but the cake was the best cake ever in the whole wide world! The coconut berry cake had the most amazing frosting I've ever had on a vegan cake (and i eat alot of cake) and the cheesecake was also incredible. Even though they have a small menu all the items were amazing. I would definitely recommend going here. The girl working was also super lovely. Go here!

Pros: Best Cake Ever , Very friendly staff , Good value
Claremveg
Claremveg

nice little lunch spot

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2015

Myself and boyfriend went here for lunch while very hungry on our trip around Berlin. About 10 mins walk from the nearest metro, it's in a good area for looking round too. I had the quiche and it was very nice. There isn't much to choose on the menu as its small, but it's good if you just want a quick bite or even a coffee and cake. We both shared a lemon cupcake and it was delicious. Good variety of tea and coffee

Pros: cute cafe in good location, nice food, reasonable prices
Cons: small so therefore limited choices
Sharpey09
Sharpey09

Nice place for a bite to eat

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2015

This is a great place for lunch. It is a pleasant cafe in a good and trendy location. I had the Paninni, which was tasty and satisfying. My girlfriend had the quiche which got good reviews too.

They also have a range of cakes. I had a cupcake which was delicious.

Staff speak good English

The menu is fairly limited for food but this is still a cool place to relax

Pros: Nice cafe, Good food and cakes, Well priced
Cons: Limited food menu, Small tables
SugarPushka
SugarPushka

best place in Berlin

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2015

Amazing cakes and panini great service. Highly recommended

vgnfrrsn
vgnfrrsn

Very nice place!

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2015

They serve pretty tasty cakes, tartes and quiches and the coffee's good as well. The place itself is cozy and clean, the staff's friendly and the actual location is relatively calm and not crowded which is a huge plus in Berlin. If you're not that far away you should give it a try for a snack or cakes'n'coffee.

MO.MARIEL
MO.MARIEL

delicious cake

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2015

I was craving some cake so I was lucky to find this café close by and wasn't disappointed. The Zupfkuchen (kind of cheesecake) was really good. It's a very nice furnished and decorated café, too. Staff seemed a little moody that day ):

Pros: Zupfkuchen, interior
Cons: moody staff

Like it very much!

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

I really like Freckles because it's so convenient for me to get there: I work in the Kiez. It's nice to have a cosy coffee not far from your working place.
They have really good cakes, although many of them are made of spelt flour, which is full of gluten, they sometimes have gluten-free options (like the Tiramisu which is really good). But otherwise, they aleways have 3-4 Cake sin display, and they are really good I must say. On the deli side, they have 2 different types of salads, and a panini that I never had because it's made with wheat ... The salads are a bit pricey for the quantity, I always get a bit hungry after that, but they make an amazing white sauce and you can tell if you have any intolerance or allergies so they adapt your dish to suit your needs, which I think is great.
They sometimes sell homemade Kraüter Mayo (Herbs mayo) or Remoulade sauce (great on potatoes salad) for 2€ which is such a fair price!
They make great coffee as well! Definitely recommend the place if you stop by in the neighborhood ! [Bergmanstr.]
The 2 gals here are also really nice ;)

Pros: great loc, lovely sauces and cakes, good coffee
Cons: not enough glutenfree, pricey
EmilyBennett3050
EmilyBennett3050

Disappointing

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2014

We visited Berlin recently and planned to visit Freckles after taking a recommendation by a friend and reading good reviews on Happy Cow. Photos on the Freckles website suggested that we would be met by a vast array of amazing cakes and lots of choice for savory food. In reality, there were three different types of cake and only two savory dishes: a panini with vegan cheese and zucchini (with or without salad) and a soup. There were no other food options. My partner and I both chose the panini (minus salad) and it was fairly average but reasonably priced at 4 euros. I'm unsure whether limited food options is the norm for Freckles or if we were just unlucky. Considering this I personally wouldn't recommend a trip here unless you happen to be passing by.

Pros: Fairly economical
Cons: Limited options
    Kyttiara

It's always like that, unfortunately :)

Men-schen-feind

I am at Freckles quite frequently, and I honestly can’t see what’s „limited“ or „disappointing“ about FOUR massive layer cakes PLUS delicious tiramisu and (at least) TWO sorts of scones/brownies/muffins/sweet buns/ AND selfmade chocolates EVERY day.

(And fortunately it's ALWAYS like that.)

MitziTant
MitziTant

mmmhhhhhhhh :)

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

the cakes at freckles are amazing! I don't even know what else to say other than that I am mad I can't try all of their goodies at once. ;)

Pros: great variety of pastries, good service, fair prices
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Great lunchspot

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

We searched this place out for lunch and really enjoyed our visit. The staff were friendly and the place was busy, so obviously doing well! Very limited food menu, but when you see the small space they are working with it's no surprise and makes perfect sense! The panini was (from memory) a simple vegan cheese and salad panini but it really was delicious. Our hot drinks were great and the cheeky cupcake I had to finish was divine :)
It's such a cute spot with such a well thought out design, I think we'll definitely make the effort to come back next time we're in town.

Pros: atmosphere, food!
nadsun
nadsun

The service was a bit cold

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

The place is very cozy and they have good atmosphere. The cake was nice but the girl who was serving was a little bit cold and reserved.

Pros: Cozy, Nice cakes
Cons: not smiling stuff
roxette521
roxette521

Tiny but tasty

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

Had dinner here after shopping in Kreuzberg. The place is very, very small, and only a few items are available for food. For example, the day I was there, they had one soup, one panini and maybe one or two other things. The soup was delicious, and the panini pretty good as well. However, when it comes to drinks and dessers, this place hits it out of the park. They make many different coffees, and they also make ginger tea from fresh ginger to order, cutting the ginger right in front of you. They have a glass case with several prepackaged vegan desserts. I had the tiramisu, which was probably the best I've ever tried - creating a good vegan tiramisu is a huge accomplishment. The best thing about this little cafe is the extremely friendly and kind service. The girls who work here actually seem to care about their customers. I paid for everything right away, but asked to have my tea after the meal, and they just said "Sure, just let us know when you want us to make it!" A really refreshing experience.

Pros: Friendly service, Great drinks, Great dessert
Cons: Small, can be hard to find a seat, Closes early
quidam
quidam

great place

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

really great cakes, good pannini and the best: very friendly staff (which you cannot expect everywhere in berlin).
Have been there three times and never left quickly.

If you wanna relax and have good food, freckles might be the place to go.

Pros: great cakes, good pannini, super friendly staff
chrdold
chrdold

great place, good coffee

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

I liked both the Latte Macchiato with almondmilk and the apple cream cake I was served here. It is also a nice place. The neighbourhood Kreuzberg is pretty cheap, compared to the prices around I would rather call it expensive.

Pros: great cakes, good coffee, nice place
Cons: no wlan, rather expensive
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Fantastic Panini and awesome desserts

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

This cafe is really cute! Close to the almost all vegan sex shop Other Nature too, which is good to check out. My partner and I both had the panini which had cheese and veggies and it was AMAZING! You can get it with or without salad. The bread tasted like toasted garlic bread, it was delicious. Best sandwich I ever had. For dessert, I had a chai latte (I like them a bit sweeter so I added some sugar but maybe that's how they do them in Germany) and a cinnamon scroll which was incredible. My partner had apple cream which had LOTS of amazing cream on it. The cream was really good and it was awesome! Highly recommended.

They speak English too.

Harp
Harp

Amazing vegan cakes

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

This place has the best vegan cakes I've ever tasted, absolutely outstanding.

The atmosphere is really nice and the staff very friendly. Highly recommended.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 03, 2013

Pros: Taste, Staff, Vibe
GlobalVeganist
GlobalVeganist

Best Zupfkuchen in the world!!

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

Even better than the real thing!! Nice little place! Have only tried the cake so far, so will be back!!

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Amazing cakes

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

I've had lots of cake in my life, but this place has some of the best desserts I've ever had.

GO HERE!

Pros: All-vegan, Friendly, Delicious desserts
mattisprobablytaken
mattisprobablytaken

impressive!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

Possibly the best panini I have ever had! The coffee is definitely the best I have has in Europe so far. Vibe is very relaxed and I'm in love with one of the waitresses! ;-)

Pros: amazing coffee, great food, very relaxed vibe
Sussie
Sussie

Cozy little café

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

We visited Freckles on a beutiful varm summersday and it was a perfect time to sit outside on the quite street and relax. The waitress was extremely helpful and nice.

They didn't have a huge selection of cakes, but the ones we tried were delicious, especially the mango torte.

The atmosphere was quiet and calm and it was an all around good experience.

Pros: quaint, calm
Pelle
Pelle

Weltbester Kuchen

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

Über den App 'Berlin Vegan' sind wir per Zufall bei Freckles gelandet. Wir haben noch nie so guten veganen Kuchen gegessen! Auch der Cappucino war sehr lecker. Die Atmosphäre sehr gemütlich und nette Bedienung. Wir kommen definitiv wieder, wenn wir in Berlin sind. Absolut empfehlenwert!!!

Pros: Tolle vegane Torten, Wohlfühl-Atmosphäre
ms.greene
ms.greene

best cakes in town.

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

I loved this place since the first time I sat there during July 2012. The cakes are really the best in town, the drinks are yummy and special and the service is great. This is a wonderful spot to bring non-vegan friends to, cause the cakes are so awesome and the overall environment is cool and not "hippie" like other vegan places (not that there's anything wrong with hippie!). I really love the panini and the soups and pretty much everything these ladies make. This is absolutely my favorite cafe in town and I always recommend it to anyone visiting or living in this fabulous city.

Pros: Great cakes, Pleasant atmosphere, Good neighborhood
Gudrun
Gudrun

Just wonderful!

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

A great place to relax, with a variety of superdelicious vegan cakes and friendly service! Another reason to say (now that I'm back home): "I wish I was in Berlin...".

Pros: great cakes, friendly service, nice atmosphere
ts_happycow
ts_happycow

vegan cafe

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

I had cupcakes and a piece of cake and both were absolutely delicious. An absolutely recommendable location with a nice ambience.

Pros: Taste, Ambience
londoncandy
londoncandy

Vegan cake in Berlin = Freckles

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2012

Really nice all vegan cafe. All cakes I tried on my visit were extremely good. Prices aren't cheap, but fair. Cafe is small so if it's busy it might get a little uncomfortable. Clean place with a good atmosphere.

Pros: quality, fair prices, clean
astro
astro

cakes and hot drinks

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

This is an excellent cafe for a bite to eat and delicious dessert, the salty caramel kakao hot drink is amazing. They had a limited menu: soup, panini or tart, we ate a spinach tart with salad - good quality but fairly simple - I think the cakes are the winning item, with much more variety. The staff were lovely, restaurant is very clean and has a warm quiet ambience. I think they have wifi.

Pros: yummy food, good ambience, decent prices
Cons: limited choice
ladystokes
ladystokes

Just delicious!

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2012

The panini and soup I ordered there was superb. Best vegan food I tasted so far in Berlin. Not that expensive. I'd say one star for cost. I plan to go back this week sometime. Highly recommended!

Pros: cost, good portions
Cons: smallish
J-Veg
J-Veg

Nice little cafe

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

I've only been here once recently after it opened and it seems a nice little cafe in a great location. They have a wide variety of baked goodies and the quality was good, although but not amazing. The sizes of the slices of cake were also a little disappointing, although that probably says more about my gluttonous appetite. I would probably visit again if I was in the area.

Pros: Wide variety of baked goodies, Great location, Cosy atmosphere
Cons: Not the best value, Small(ish) portions of cake
Tara HD
Tara HD

Great cakes

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

A lovely little place which fabulous vegan cakes!

Pros: vegan cakes, nice atmosphere
Polly Gold
Polly Gold

My personal highlight!

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

Berlin probably is the German vegan capital. Whenever I am there, I like to go to as many cafes as possible to indulge my sweet tooth.
I found the cake at Freckles to be the best I found in Berlin, so far. Also, the coziness of the place and the friendly staff made this cafe a highlight on my trip. The day after my return I already long to go there again, as soon as possible!

Pros: excellent cakes, cosy, friendly staff
JMNL
JMNL

Best vegan apple pie

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

Great vegan pies, cakes and desserts. They also have salads and savory snacks but didn't get to try it. The apple pie with vegan whipped cream was the best I ever tasted.
Nicely decorated and in a good neighborhood.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Lovely, cozy cafe

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

After lunch nearby, I decided to check out this place for some dessert. They only had 4 different cakes on display when I was there, which I thought wasn't very many considering it was a cafe. But quality is what counts. They also had pasta and sandwiches for those who are looking for a full meal, but I saw no quiches or soups.

I settled on a slice of scrumptious nougat cake with a glass of hot chai latte. The setting and atmosphere were so cozy, and together with the food, it felt like utter bliss. I had a really hard time refraining myself from getting the chocolate cherry cake too. The staff was lovely as well.

From a tourist's standpoint this place might be a little out of the way, but I can assure you, it's going to be well worth it.

Pros: decor, food, staff
Cons: location
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

new favorite spot in berlin

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

i'm a huge proponent of freckles... from the decor, to the delicious sweets, to the amazing quiches, all the way through to the incredibly friendly and adorable staff.

freckles is a must stop! i went there multiple times on my last visit to berlin, and was never disappointed.

Pros: tasty sweets, savory quiches, welcoming staff
cmayr
cmayr

Cakes delicious beyond belief

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

This likeable place in Berlin's hip Bergmannkiez is an oasis for vegans with a sweet tooth like me. There is absolutely nothing not to love about these cakes and tortes. I swear, non-vegans won't notice any difference to comparable products produced with dairy. There's also a variety of hearty meals like soups. bruschetta or salads to chose from besides cakes and desserts. Strongly recommended!

Pros: friendly people, delicious food, cozy atmosphere
matrosin
matrosin

well thought

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

I was at freckles 2 days ago and loved the atmosphere. Cozy, nice CD (all white and tuerkese). Two very friendly girls served me and gave me welcome feeling. They really care about what they sell you. It's vegan cake perfection. I would have expected more cakes, but I think it's because they are fresh open.

Go there, it's lovely.

mamvis
mamvis

Yummy!!!

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

I ate a lot of their cakes when they still offered them at Veganz and I always loved them. So I think it is awesome that they opened their own little cafe. Too bad I live on the other side of town and only went there once yet. I had some noodles and as desert I got my favorite - the Russian cheesecake. Both was really tasty. I really like the interior. It's nice and cozy. But as cute as this little cafe is it could be bigger. Near the end of my stay another costumer got mad because there was no free chair for her to sit and she asked me and my friends when we would finally leave. But that's really the only con about this place!

Pros: friendly staff, delicious cake , cozy atmosphere
Cons: not enough space for busier days

A-Ma-Zing cakes

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2012

The cakes at Freckles are really, really good. I#ve tried many of their creations when they still offered them at Veganz and was never disappointed. These girls really know how to make a good vegan cake! They were very friendly and know how to give their place a personal atmosphere.
I also enjoyed a very tasty lentil soup the other day, so they also know how to make soup. Looking forward to the planned breakfast options. Nice location too!

Pros: all vegan, delicious cakes, friendly owners
AmandaUCSC
AmandaUCSC

Cake was nice

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2012

I had the peanut butter and jelly layered cake and while the cake bit was a little dry, it was dense and surrounded by peanut butter and chocolate icing, thus making it delicious. :)

I was disappointed by the drink. I ordered a hot chocolate and it tasted like half-melted dark chocolate with cinnamon but it had a powdery after-taste and the chocolate had not entirely dissolved. Tasted like when you make your own at home and haven't stirred enough. There are so many good places for finding hot drinks made with soy milk in Berlin that I found it kind of expensive to pay 2,80 for something of which I consumed only half because, frankly, it was not really drinkable. I will return for the cakes for sure, but not the drink. I noticed another person nearby only finished half her latte, so I guess it's not just the hot chocolate that's not up to par.

The atmosphere is nice, cozy, and comfortable. It's a nice place to have a chat or work /read for a bit.

Pros: cake, nice atmosphere
Cons: drinks not up to par
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Great place

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

We went here today and we had their lentil soup. It was so yummy! It came with slices of fresh bread. We also had a slice of the chocolate pie and crumb pie. It was to die for! This place just opened this month. Go try it, you will like it!

Pros: Easy to find, Friendly staff, Great Decor
    wildfang

Why only four cows if everything was perfect?

Dear Owner and Manager of Freckles: