Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegetarian and vegan options distinctly marked and in a separate section of the menu which are cooked on and in dedicated equipment. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Non-veg

First Review by Sophia B.
JLP
JLP

Founding Farmers in DC on Penn

3 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

Really Popular place and you def should make reservation. They have a meatless menu but this is NOT a vegan restaurant. The sides are limited for Vegan options but you should ask if there are options

ke1iana
ke1iana

Good food, good atmosphere

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

I found this restaurant when visiting DC and dining with non-vegans. It was a great success. It is very popular so be sure to make reservations. We did and were seated right away so it wasn't a problem.

Non-shared Equipment: I appreciated that there was a separate meatless menu and that the meatless kitchen equipment was not shared with other dishes.

Options: Yes, there were only 2 vegan options. My husband and I shared the two different dishes and were very satisfied. We are from out of town and eating vegan out usually means a boring pasta-veggies-olive oil so actually having a decent recipe was a treat. There were other vegetarian dishes on the menu--I don't know if they could be adjusted to be vegan but it looked like it could. We didn't ask since we were pleased with the two options. The only vegan dessert was a sorbet. I think they are on the right track and would love to see them expand to include more vegan options in the future.

Drinks: Great quality cocktails and wines.

Pros: Vegan/Veg menu, Separate cooking equipment, Great atmosphere
Cons: Limited vegan options, Make a reservation!
cookiem
cookiem

Too much hype

2 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

If you come here, expect to wait or make sure you had reservations. On a Friday night, 2 hours can be your wait time! Why? The food is cooked fresh and made from scratch, and, well, the libations menu is abounding with choices for everyone from young to old!

As for the infamous veg menu, I do not see why vegans find it amazing. Two choices does not make for a vegan menu. There were 2 vegan sides. The salads weren't vegan- how could there not be one vegan salad? A salad is all about the vegetables, so having just one be vegan makes sense, but that is asking too much?

Thankfully, there were so many wonderful drinks from cocktails to beers to in-house sodas to coffees, it didn't impinge upon my satisfaction too much. A drink for dessert is fine when they are this good! The sodas are awesome. No vegan desserts though- if they really wanted to be vegan friendly, that could easily be arranged, yes?

Anyhow, the two entree were a meatloaf that I did not care for and a burger that had a black bean base. Nothing fancy or exciting. If not with others, I would not choose to come here again for food. Drinks? Ok!

Pros: Drinks, Vegan items marked
Cons: Long wait , Small vegan selection

BostonVegan
BostonVegan

Great for vegans!

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

They have a vegan menu and we had two items from it: Polenta with Roasted Red Peppers and Eggplant; and Farmers Artichoke and Chick Pea Gunny Sack. Both were outstanding. Even the sides were delicious: Lemon Arugula Salad; Lemon Garlic Spinach. I will go back and try the other vegan dishes next time I'm in DC.

Nice atmosphere, a very busy place! Make your reservations well in advance, it was booked until 9:30 every night even on a Monday!

Pros: Vegan food, Atmosphere, Service
Cons: Fills up early
Sophia B.
Sophia B.

Best vegan bacon burger ever

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

The vegan bacon burger (burger made in-house with tempeh bacon) was amazing - truly the best vegan burger of any variety I've ever had. I also loved the fact that the veg items are cooked in equipment reserved for the purpose. Must go back to try the other items on the menu.

Pros: excellent food, separate cooking utensils, good choices
Cons: no vegan dessert

Dear Owner and Manager of Founding Farmers: