CLOSED: Food Garden...

Food Garden is Tauranga's only (as of July 2011) fully vegetarian cafe. Menu items available for vegan and gluten free diners. Uses seasonal and organic ingredients and environmentally friendly packaging and cleaners. Uses no artificial colors, flavors or additives. Coffee is organic and fair trade. SHUT DOWN IN AUG 2013 PER ITS WEB MSSG. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, International, Catering
1356 Cameron Rd (Chadwick)
Tauranga, New Zealand
07-578-1965

Open Mon-Fri 8am-3.30pm, Sat 8am-3pm, closed Sun.

First Review by animal2415
IanNeilson
IanNeilson

What A Lovely Place!

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

Stopped in here while in Tauronga for work. It's a little out of town so you'll probably need to take a car or bike, but totally worth it. Safe and homely feeling cafe with wonderfully human staff and lovely food. I couldn't decide what I wanted so asked the staff to choose for me and was given a home made pie with two salads for a very modest $10. They use fresh ingredients and pride themselves on my using anything from a packet, and it shows! This will become a regular stop for me whenever I'm in the area.

Pros: The Food, The People
Cons: A Little Far Out Of Town
Dmitry
Dmitry

Wow, great - Tauranga's worth a visit

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

It was lunchtime after a light early breakfast, so I had to check out this bright tastily decorated and comfy cafe (it was I think close to 30C outside but coolly air-conditioned inside), and I had a small bowl of 3 delicious salads (garden with flower petals, wild brown rice and chickpeas - ideal for starters), then a soup of the day - good proper home-style hearty tomato soup with leafy veggies, then a burger with sunflower and tofu "mince" patty (their own creation, not a generic stuff in "veggie" burgers elsewhere), tasty vegan aioli and vegan cashew cheese (I asked specifically for the "cheese" to be put on as I saw it on the menu board in other options - never tried it before and it was very interesting and yum!) followed by dandelion coffee (my first try as well and an interesting taste too that grew on me with each sip) with a vegan blueberry muffin of very nice light crusty texture with dairyfree spread on the side to smooth it over, rounded up by 2 mango-banana-berry smoothies in elaborately shaped glasses. What more can you wish for? Not 100% vegan, but I was spoiled for choice with so many things vegan, and vegetarians will be overjoyed (I was tempted myself by some rather enticingly looking sweet pastries). Don't miss Tauranga if travelling through Central North Island, a large port city where Mr. Rudd from AC/DC lives (skip his restaurant though, as it serves steak) about an hour and half from Hamilton and just 1 hour from Rotorua (which most tourists put on their itinerary).

Pros: Nice vegan stuff, Creative food, Tasty decor
Cons: None I can think of
animal2415
animal2415

Food Garden Review

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

I took my non vege hubby to try lunch at the cafe.
We had leek rissoles (which my hubby thought was a small portion, till he finished and was stuffed) and bagel with pesto and tomato. The team were friendly and the food was yummy - what more can I say!!

Pros: Friendly staff, yummy food, good coffee
Cons: Several dishes were not being served, Close quite early

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Food Garden Vegetarian Cafe: