Food For Thought

Serves meat, veg options available. Predominately meat menu but does offer around 4 vegetarian main meal choices. Breakfast on weekends. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Non-veg

First Review by jessicaprescott
757_vegan
757_vegan

don't bother!

2 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

I've been here a few times. The first time I went they had a gardein burger for lunch. I had to order it with no mayo- then there was no sauce at all! I had to ask for hummus and it was still pretty blah. I've also been for breakfast and it wasn't bad. The only totally vegan option is the tofu scramble- it was flavorful but not worth the money. The last time I went I got their new quinoa and lentil burger- TERRIBLE. No flavor whatsoever- I actually had to put SALT ON IT. Ugh and their shoestring fries are the worst fries I've ever had. The waitress was also incredibly rude and dismissive when my mom who is gluten-free and vegan had to ask about options! We found a dish on the menu that she didn't even know about- the gluten free pad thai made with tofu. It was actually very good and a huge portion- but still $15! I would only recommend that and the veggie bisque which is actually made with cashew cream. But really, if you have to eat out in williamsburg, just go to the Nawab lunch buffet.

veganvixenamy
veganvixenamy

Good Soup

3 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

I only had the soup & vegan flatbread. It was a good meal for a rainy day. Saw they have a vegan gf brownie! Can't wait to try other things. The soup was good but not a meal by itself. The flatbread came with some nice marinated tomatoes. The building looks like it used to be a Captain Ds. But now it has a nice atmosphere. They have a gf menu, and the vegan options are pretty well marked. Even tho I ordered the veggie soup to be vegan, when they brought it, there was swirled cream on top. I pointed it out & they promptly brought me a vegan soup. I wasn't charged for the flatbread. Not including tip, my meal was $5.28. Easy on the student wallet :)

Pros: vegan flatbread, good service
Cons: most items on the low end of pricey, at first was brought non vegan soup
TheCottonTrio
TheCottonTrio

Williamsburg' s best Vegan restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

One of the best vegan places ever! The experience is amazing. They are very accommodating to our entire family. We are all Vegans and the dishes are delicious. We have had every vegan dish there. Will definitely be back. Highly recommend this place. The vegan flatbread appetizer is superb & the freshly made soup is so tasty. We usually do the spaghetti squash and the portobello mushrooms with jasmine rice!! Yum going there this evening.

What surprised us is the intellectual discussions with the other patrons. Great wine selection too!
Go you'll love it

Pros: Excellent food!, Friendly staff, Delicious options including vegan brownie :-)
Cons: Long wait times but understandable & worth it
BarbEastman
BarbEastman

Never go there!

1 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

Awful experience. Never going back. Waitresses are rude and ignorant of the menu item ingredients. She took my order wrong and then the boss came trying to make it better. Gave me a coupon for a discount. When I went back with my family, again the waitress was a problem and the food didn't even taste good. Portion size is small compared to prices. I predict this place will go out of business.

Shereewolfe
Shereewolfe

AWesome Food! GREAT service!!

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

My husband, a nearly vegan, and I a vegan found ourselves in Williamsburg, VA for a little over 2 weeks recently for circumstances related to his job. I was slightly concerned that we wouldn't find much on the vegan front to eat, enough so that we stayed in a hotel with a microwave and a fridge..I should have just planned to eat most of my meals at Food For Thought! First of all, whomever designated them as expensive, must be living on peanut butter and jelly. Granted, we live in the DC area, and if you are eating the most expensive MEAT dishes on the menu, they can be MODERATELY priced (16 ish) but since this is a vegetarian and vegan website(!) I am only reviewing THAT food,,,and IT was pretty darn cheap..easily comparable to a mexican restaurant..I have eaten there 4 times now for lunch and dinner, and none of my meals have been over 12$! Next, they have a very nice selection of bread, soups (the vegan chili is amazing!!) apps, salads, and main courses that are vegetarian and vegan..NOTE I didn't say "CAN be made vegan" These ARE vegan..Then they have several other things on the menu that CAN be made vegan..just by adding or removing this or that! Two different waitresses are vegan, the staff keep notes, and by our second visit, they knew us, and were giving us extensive recommendations. This is all in a place that serves meat! The owner pops by our table several times to check on us as well! WOW!!! They also had several awesome desserts!

Pros: Amazing quality, great selection, good price
thomaswh
thomaswh

A Williamsburg VA Find

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

The family and I tried Food For Thought for the first time this weekend and loved it.

Being the vegan in the group, I did a bit of research to find a veg-friendly restaurant that would also satisfy the carnivores. We were captured by the humorous and informative menu, and we were not disappointed.

During the first lunch visit (Saturday), I enjoyed the Roasted Vegetable Bisque, Sweet Potato Cornbread (complementary), and the Inca Super Grain Salad (quinoa) topped with grilled portabello caps. The servings were generous and served at the proper temperatures. The bisque was surprisingly good and spicy.

During the Sunday lunch visit, I enjoyed the Ultimate Vegetarian - 1/2 roasted spaghetti squash topped with bruschetta tomatoes on a bed of Jasmine mushroom rice. As an experiment, I had this one topped with Vegan Chicken Breast, a soy product that is amazingly like chicken. This meal was also superb.

The atmosphere is fun and educational. From the notable quotes on the wall to the card games on the tables to the book and newspapers on the bar, the preparation time for the food seems very short.

The staff was very friendly and had obviously been trained well. The servers for both visits knew the menu and the options and were able to answer all of our questions. Notably, they did not interrupt conversation at the table while serving. I did not have to ask for a beverage refill (a pet peeve) because the staff was paying attention.

Even during the lunch hour, the restaurant did not seem crowded and our party of five was very comfortable. We will definitely be back and highly recommend Food For Thought.

Pros: Excellent food, Attentive staff, Fun atmosphere
RichNowatnick
RichNowatnick

Best Pad Thai!

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2012

The whole experience was amazing. I had asked if the hummus they had contained milk, and it did so the waiter brought out a complemtary brushetta and flat platter. And the Pad Thai was absolutely amazing! They have two options for Vegans, Tofu and Vegan Chicken! They have a couple options on the menu for Vegans, but if you ask your waiter, they may have more that night depending on the specials. Great Service and Great Food, Highly Recomend!

Pros: Helpful Staff, Vegan Options
Cheeks
Cheeks

Best choice in town for interesting vegan fare!!!!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2012

My husband and I were pretty concerned about finding food that fit our vegan needs while on vacation in Williamsburg. Luckily we scoped out Happy Cow beforehand! We ended up eating two meals at FFT, and both were excellent!!!! You cannot go wrong at this place!

The employees (and owner) show genuine concern about your dietary needs. They were happy to check on any menu items you might have questions about, and they were very knowledgable about their offerings. While I'm not a huge fan of mock meats, the brand they serve (Gardein) is excellent! The tofu? Non-GMO!!!

From breakfast to dinner, and anything in between, you can always find a meal match at Food For Thought!!!

Pros: Offerings, Service
Cons: Parking
Pmcolorado
Pmcolorado

Great, something for everyone!

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

Lots of wonderful options here for vegans, vegetarians, and everyone else! 3 nice veg specials tonight. I had the stuffed acorn squash and it was delish! Beet salad was wonderful, and the gluten free vegan brownie for dessert was one of the best desserts I've had in a while! Definitely worth the trip if you are in the Williamsburg area.

Pros: options, portion sizes, big!
Cons: portion sizes, big! pro or con
alaskadebbi
alaskadebbi

Wonderful

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

Had a delish dinner and returned the next morning for a wonderful breakfast. We talked to the owner, Howard, at dinner to complimnent him for the great dinner and knowledgable staff. We inquired about breakfast and he told us he could whip up some vegan french toast using almond milk! Now...if he would only part with his recepie for tha most amazing chocolate cherry brownie EVER!

Pros: Variety, friendly
portsmouthveganvixen
portsmouthveganvixen

Endless vegan choices and expanding!

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

I have visited this spot several times and it has exceeded my expectations. Being that my family enjoys a vegan lifestyle, we can go to Food For Thought and enjoy the hummus appetizer and then choose from several vegan options: vegan hamburger, spaghetti squash with vegan basil pesto, tofu pad thai and the chicken dishes can be made with the gardein chicken substitution. On occasion, they are now offering a vegan soup and dessert option. It is a 'must-try' place!

janetgottlieb
janetgottlieb

Vegan chicken!

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2011

Food for Thought will make its Jerk Chicken and Cilantro Lime Chicken meals with vegan chicken. These are great!!

Pros: Vegan choices
Cons: Long wait at peak times
MilissaE
MilissaE

Several Veggie Choices

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2010

I went to lunch here. It has several vegetarian options. I got the portobello sandwich on cabitta bread. My friend got the BBQ tofo wrap, great as well. The side was sweet potato fries. I would recommend this place to anyone.

The cost was 9.50

jessicaprescott
jessicaprescott

food for thought

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2009

this was a great place to eat. we had a group of vegans and non-vegans. everyone had lots of choices.the idea of the restaurant is great. there are quotes painted on the walls, thought provoking questions on cards at every table. the service was good and the food was very good. i will definately go back when i am in the area again.

Pros: good food, lots of vegan choices, great concept

Dear Owner and Manager of Food For Thought: