Serves meat, veg options available. Has a vegan shepherds pie plus a vegan soup and salads. All cooked on premises. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Irish, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by cwalsh
OttVanTor
OttVanTor

Very Friendly. ..safe And Healthy

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

Small family owned vegetarian bistro with very friendly staff. Best instore menu with very clean marking for all menu items. Its a typical small Galway business who works hard to provide tasty and safe food. Good choice with vegan options including salads...vegan soup and vegan shepherds pie.

Pros: Staff, Menu, Location
Cons: Size
TrishArgh
TrishArgh

charming

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

charming little bistro, delicious food and nice people. I had the vegan Sheperd's pie (It came with a nice side salad) and I thought it was super tasty. They also have a variety of vegetarian dishes and you can get any coffee specialty with soy milk :D
The prices are okay (for Ireland ^^) We paid about 7,50 Euro per dish.

Pros: vegan food, many vegetarian dishes
Cons: range of vegan food is limited
Chickpea86
Chickpea86

not a fan

2 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

have eaten here a few times as galway offers surprisingly few decent options for vegetarian dining. however, after giving it a fair go i won't be going back, the food is alright, nothing special, nothing out of the box and the portions are a bit measly for the price.

Pros: vegetarian options, vegan options
Cons: pricey, boring, a bit bland

wyrd
wyrd

Too expensive

2 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

Food for thought is a quiet place in the center of Galway. It serves a lot of vegetarian food, but prices are very high and portions are really small...

It is probably the best veg-friendly place in Galway, though.

Pros: Location, Vegetarian options
Cons: High prices, Serves meat
magpiefaerie
magpiefaerie

Uninspiring

2 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

I was told by Tourist Info it was veggie and indeed on the sign it does say "vegetarian and wholefood restaurant", which is more than a stretch of the imagination. The only vegan options are baked potato or shepherds pie, so of course like everyone else who has reviewed, I went for the shepherds pie. It came with a garnish or three choices of salads for €1.50 extra. There were only three vegan salads, so I chose those. The salads were very uninspired: sliced peppers with no garnish; cold yellow rice with small bits of pepper and a mixture of tinned chickpeas and tinned sweetcorn. All portions were small; the shepherds pie was microwaved and bland. Staff were friendly, but the guy didn't know if the potatoes were vegan or not - he said "I would eat them, but I'm not vegan."

Pros: clearly labelled vegan options, friendly staff, um...
Cons: few vegan options, small portions, bland food
veganmiss
veganmiss

Cozy Place

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

Food For Thought was a quiet, homey sandwich bar where people come in for a bit of food and tea to get out of the rain. It seemed like the perfect place to do some reading or homework.

I got the vegan shepherd's pie with side salad. The pie tasted a bit like a breaded ratatouille to me. I really loved the soup and it was so great for my cold. This place changes their menu daily in order to try out new things for customers. I really loved Food For Thought!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/09/vegan-ireland.html

andrea
andrea

Options

3 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

We just got back from a long holiday in Ireland and visited as many of the veg restaurants as we could find. To be clear about this place, they had just ONE vegan option, the shepherd's pie, and it was really expensive. We ended up going elsewhere.

Blueberries
Blueberries

Tasty, comforting but average

2 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

I had the vegan shepherd's pie. It was tasty and filling but nothing too amazing. I also thought that it was slightly overpriced for what I got.
I like that they are aware and interested in veganism and hopefully they will expand their menu. They're taking a step in the right direction.

Pros: Labelled its vegan option, Central location and nice atmosphere, Promotes Irish language
Cons: Vegan option overpriced, Vegan options limited
wkatie
wkatie

loved it

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2009

good food reasonably priced. The atmosphere was nice and the staff were friendly and there were lots of vegetarian options.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
cwalsh
cwalsh

Loved it

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2007

I'm vegetarian and the restaurant had a good number of options. There was also a large number of salads.The meal that we had was very good value and the atmoshpere was great. There seemed to be a large number of locals in the place which is always a good sign

Pros: healthy food, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Food for Thought: