Food Fight Vegan Grocery

All vegan convenience store selling a wide range of food and products including imports, mock meats, no bone-char sugar, vegan junk foods, snack foods, books, some organic produce, bulk staples, chilled and frozen food. more-less
1217 SE Stark St (SE 12th Ave, Belmont District)
Portland, Oregon 97214
503-233-3910

Open Mon-Sun 10am-8pm.

First Review by hat
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Vegan heaven

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

I had no idea about some of the vegan products until I checked this place out. Vegan haggis? Yup! All of my favourite Brew Dr. Kombucha flavours? Yup!
Super rad staff and an insane selection of chocolate and goodies. More of a vegan junk food haven but that's ok.
We were here pretty much every day we were in Portland. Seriously any type of vegan product you could ever want is here. Go, but be prepared to spend all your hard earned money on chips!

Pros: All the vegan products!, Carries my favourite kombucha, Nice staff
Cons: Not in Edmonton, A little small
grantxvx
grantxvx

Fun and Entertaining!

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

We love going into Food Fight because we can get things we didn't think existed as well as laugh at the sense of humor of the owners and the staff. They kept us stocked for a few days at least with jerky and other road snacks on our road trip this summer!

The Hungry Vegan
The Hungry Vegan

Great Place

5 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

I just love it here. They have all the crappy junk food I could ever ask for. I love their punk rock attitude. I follow them on facebook, even though I'm nowhere near Portland. They're endlessly entertaining.

Pros: Selection, Staff
Cons: there isn't one near me
Juliett_Oscar
Juliett_Oscar

Lovely store

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2014

Awesome place that saves massive time spent reading labels in conventional stores. Good selection of easy to pack items that come in handy when traveling to places where it may not be so easy to eat and buy vegan. A wonderful place to buy your friends food gifts, or to pack for a road trip. Fun music. Friendly staff. Impossible to step inside without finding something intriguing to buy. Really great facebook page, too. Tip: check the fb for flash sales and bring a bag.

Pros: Refrigerated and frozen items, Snacks and ready-made food, Packable, storable food
vegan frog
vegan frog

A vegan mart, how amazing

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

A vegan market is never big enough but this place had so many items that you would not find at regular places. Well stocked up and all vegan but not quite as extensive as Vegan Haven in Seattle.
I go there everytime I am in Portland to stock up on vegan goodness and to support small retailers!

Daniel B.
Daniel B.

Support these vegans, but I hope they lighten up!

3 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

I visited Food Fight a few years back while on travel for work - you can imagine how excited I was to be able to spend a weekend in Portland, vegan mecca of the USA.

I made sure that a trip to Food Fight was on my list of to-dos, since I'd shopped with them online a few times prior to that and was generally pleased with my orders. Overall, it was a cool store, bought a lot while I was there, but my one problem is this -

ATTITUDE. Lots of it. The sort that just oozes out of every pore from the people who worked there as well as the few who were shopping there as well. You see, I have a job where I actually have to dress the part, suit and all, and apparently, looking like you have a corporate job is reason to be given the side-eye and looked at like you don't belong. Apparently, some vegans (in Portland, at least) seem to think that if you don't look the part, you don't deserve proper respect, which is simply a shame. Would I have been treated better if I'd been able to get back to my hotel and change into some thrift-store jeans and a tattered punk rock t-shirt before coming in? Probably. But, maybe they'll figure out one day (or, maybe they already have figured it out since this was a few years ago) that vegans come in all sizes/shapes/colors/occupations/religions/political leanings/etc. and shouldn't be looked down on just because they're not like yourself.

Other than feeling like I was somehow offending them with my mere presence by not "fitting in" to how they do things in their neck of the woods, it's a cool little place and one I still order from online here and there, worthy of supporting.

Pros: Some things I haven't seen elsewhere, Really low prices
Cons: Can the attitude folks, Not all vegans are punk rock kids, Not all "suits" are bad people
saveur
saveur

Great store for obscure vegan treats

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

Prices are not fabulous but the selection is great for vegan treats. Lots of vegan jerky! A soy curls to buy in bulk! Also really liked tamarind-sesame popcorn and papadums.

They also have some fresh (and frozen) food, including the mock BLT and karmal lil pudding from pixie raw retreat (both were delicious!). They also had sandwiches from Blossoming Lotus.

Some beauty stuff, too, including hurraw balms (my favourite).

Cons: pricy
chickpeafreak
chickpeafreak

Wonderful place!

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

Part of the "Portland Mini-mall". A fun place for vegans to shop--so nice to know all is vegan. You can find all sorts of vegan options from vegan haggis to cream cheese. Would love to live in the neighbourhood to be able to frequent. When in Portland, try to go support these guys!

Pros: All vegan, Variety, Good prices
Cons: --, --, --
Coffeechit
Coffeechit

Great Selection

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2012

I love Food Fight. They pack so much into that little space! I can get most of my groceries there and I find that for many staple items like tempeh and soy milk, their prices are comparable with chain stores.

They have so many cool specialty items as well -- like the rice cakes. Best rice cakes ever! And the kale chips. They have a small but solid bulk foods section, too.

It's worth your time to stop by and check out the great selection and the super friendly folks.

proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

a store

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

what a bunch of [edit by staff], i love these folks!
food fight has a wide variety of vegan products to choose from, all reasonably priced. so, if you're in portland, stop by and give them your money.

Pros: all vegan, good people, many choices
SaraJane85
SaraJane85

The Vegan Goods

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

This place is too cool. They have tons of vegan stuff that I have never seen for sale anywhere else just online. It is very cool. They staff is very helpful and friendly. To fun to not have to check any label and be able to have anything in the store. Plus they have DILLOS! YUM!

Chia
Chia

Vegan Everything

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and stopped in on a past trip to Portland, Oregon. Here's my Food Fight Vegan Grocery review.

It was my first trip to Portland, and I had mapped out a string of restaurants and shops I'd want to visit while here, and this was one of them.

The store is neatly laid out with long racks stocked with all sorts of vegan foods and goods. I even saw several vegan products that I hadn't ever seen before, but I can't remember what they are now...

It's small-moderate in size but very well stocked. Definitely worth checking out when in SE Portland.

whosmeggyn
whosmeggyn

• herbivore

They had stuff I didn't even know existed

3 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

Coming from a very un-veg-friendly city, this was a dream. Browsing the aisles was enough to make me hyperventilate. It's a small, crowded, store but for good reason. This place is a must if you visit Portland.

Pros: well-stocked, somewhat organized, easy location
Cons: some items were a bit pricey
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

The Vegan gods are smilling.

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

It's hard to review just this place and not the block, which is one of the coolest vegan blocks I know of in the country and certainly the coolest I have been to. The sign says it all "Open every fucking day 10am - 8pm" It's next to the vegan bakery and vegan tatoo parlor and in the same block as Red and Black..... Get a vegan tat, get some groceries and then plan a vegan workers revolution. Ok you do not have to be all cool and anararchis and vegan to enjoy this place but for people like me, this place is fucking amazing. It is trying to do all the things we think about and whisper to each other when we think no one can overhear us. Go check it out, support them, chear them on and then hang out outside watching the cute vegan tattoed chicks walking by. It might not be your vision of heaven but it's pretty damn close.

Pros: Location, vegan foods all over the place, atmosphere is fantastic
Cons: what???
veganburger5
veganburger5

Amazing!

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2011

I was so amazed and surprised to find this place! Everything a vegan could want, no label reading required! Love it!!!!!

Took
Took

Tons of Vegan Goods :)

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

I've been to Food Fight a couple of times. I found an Indian soup there that I couldn't find anywhere else in the city. It was expensive (as are most of the goods there) and didn't taste great. Another time, I bought vegan truffles for the Christmas holiday. My bf and I loved them! Food Fight offers vegans an array of specialty items (such as faux meats) and "junk" food. Yum!

Pros: all vegan
Cons: pricey
celynki
celynki

What could be better . . .

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

than an all-vegan grocery store? Only the fact that the staff are really nice. I picked up supplied prior to a two-hour bus ride, so they gave me six or eight free cold packs to keep my frozen items cool.

Pros: really cool staff, all VEGAN!, great selection
goldie711
goldie711

Awesome

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2010

What an amazing experience! All vegans know what it is like to wander the aisles of Whole Foods searching for the 15% of their items that meet our dietary needs. Food Fight has it all under one roof. Yes, it is a smallish store. Imagine a big 7-11. It is small but just about every cool vegan food product sits on the shelves.

Pros: owner, selection
Humanicide
Humanicide

Greatest place on earth

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2009

How can a vegan grocery store not be? Everything you could imagine, they have. Daiya "cheese", sheese, follow your heart, whipped cream, and they're vegenaise is a hell of lot cheaper here than anywhere else! Crazy amounts of mock meats that grocery stores don't have, cruelty free cosmetics, and the hot dog meal is awesome. They take EBT/Oregon Trail too!!! They've got it all here, my only complaint, is that they don't have as much vegan ice cream as one would imagine, but thats okay!

Pros: Vegan, Vegan, Vegan
myh
myh

best vegan grocery ever

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2009

food fight is the best grocery store I have ever seen or been too. hands down!!! keep up the good work.

Tigra220
Tigra220

ALL Vegan Groceries!

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2009

I had my first piece of chewing gum in, forever, thanks to the vegan gum available at Food Fight. A wide variety of food, snacks, drinks, condiments, etc. The raw organic kale chips were awesome, as were the plantain chips. I can't find 1/10 of the things that are sold at Food Fight in my local grocery stores (Whole Foods included). And of course, I got a good laugh at the signs and tshirt sayings that were hanging around.

It's in the vegan mini-mall with Sweetpea Baking Company, Herbivore Clothing Store, and a vegan tattoo parlor. How cool is that?! Just double check the hours before you go. They're not open as late as other grocery stores.

Pros: ALL VEGAN grocery store
Petesternz
Petesternz

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2008

This grocery was the find of the trip. I loved it! They carry everything, including things I am never able to find back home (vegan beef jerky, marshmallow rice krispie treats, mac and cheese), and it is fantastic not to have to look at any labels. The Mac and Cheese alone was worth the trip, and I stored several in my bags for the trip home. Wish Food Fight would open near me!!!

Pros: everything
carbar
carbar

how exciting

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2008

great products especially liked the marshmallow kit, the "ribs" mix, and the gummy bear type treats. So great to find a food store with everything vegan in it! Found some great things to bring back home. So cool having Vegan "Row"- with The Vegan bakery-Sweet Pea, the clothing store-Herbivore, and the Vegan grocery store-Food Fight all beside one another. Would definately come back when visit Portland again!

kindlizard
kindlizard

GREAT place

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2008

This place is so great! They sell 100% vegan food. You can't find any cheese, eggs, nothing. I have fought in my past to maintain places to be all veggie, this makes that pale in comparison. How incredible.

They have stickers and shirts that are priceless, well they have prices on them but...

They have great food, references to farts on stickers and shirts (check their merch online) and the F word on their door for store hours. What is NOT to like? The nachos, classic, throwback to being a gross kid, but healthy. Cashew cheese, if I recall correctly.

Part of vegan mini mall.

Pros: 100% Vegan , Fun place w sense of humor
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Stale Nachos and Hot Dog, but oh well its neat

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2008

Food Fight was a lot smaller than I imagined it would be, but its really like someone cherry picked all the vegan items in a Whole Foods and put them in one store. The only thing that I can't find at my normal grocery haunts is the Sheese Scottish vegan cheese. Its a great place, really makes life stress free when someone has gone to all the hard work for you. I was a little disappointed at the Nachos and Hot Dog, they were a bit stale, but I was probably there late. I'd probably give them another try.

Pros: 100% Vegan
rccourtney
rccourtney

great concept

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2008

I loved the concept, a vegan grocery store. Especially great since it is in the same strip mall as herbivore and sweet pea bakery.

Pros: all vegan
PDXVeganFamily
PDXVeganFamily

The Best! :)

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2007

Emiko and Chad are great, and it is so refreshing to be able to buy ANYTHING you want in the store without having to check ingrediants!!! Some stuff kinda on the spendy side, but for the vast selection of hard to find items makes the extra $ well worth it. Plus for people who are not lucky enough to live in PDX-they can shop online!

Pros: Great Staff, Wonderful Selection, Super Website
EdaMommy
EdaMommy

Fab for Mail Order

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2006

I've never been lucky enough to visit in person, but ordering online from Food Fight has always been a breeze - I've never found them anything but a worthwhile hoot to deal with. The only thing that drives me crazy are the fattening samples that occasionally find their way into the box - very dangerous! ^_^

Pros: Great Customer Service, Cool products, Fast Shipping
Cons: Those "deadly" samples!
hat
hat

Good food- Real people

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2006

I think the other comment is funny because I feel Food Fight might be the only place in Portland where vegan=real person. Everywhere else seems to be much more pretentious. Besides, maybe they're shy??

Pros: candy, cupcakes, convenience
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Food Fight Vegan Grocery: