A little gourmet donut shop that also offers wheat-free, gluten-free, and usually two vegan flavors each day (in additional to conventional and non-veg donuts). Tea and locally roasted LaMill Coffee available. Opened Aug 2011. Parking in rear lot or on street. more-less
8104 W 3rd St (Crescent Height)
Los Angeles, California 90048
323-592-3075

Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-10pm, Sat-Sun 8am-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by gr8vegan
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Want more do-, less fo-.

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

Came here with great anticipation. The kids could not stop begging to come.

The first disappointment was how few of the selections were vegan.

Next, I wish they had regular, gluten-laden, deep-fried, gimme-a-heart-attack donuts but no. As it happens all to often vegan was conflated with healthy. Fail! Give us donuts that don't hurt others - but please let us hurt ourselves.

However, the donuts weren't too bad after all - especially considering the lack of options elsewhere. A little dry and crummy.

If you try these before Voodoo Donuts you'll be ok with them; if after you will cry.

Pros: Vegan donuts - enough?
Cons: Dry, Not decadent
Chia
Chia

Offers a couple vegan flavors

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Fonuts review.

Since reading about there being vegan donuts offered here I just could not resist making the trip! The drive was a bit of a hassle because W. 3rd Street (and this part of LA) gets quite congested on Sundays. Parking is available behind the shop, you have to let the valet guy know that you're getting something at Fonuts.

The shop is little and casual. There is a raised bench table along one side of the wall with several high stools for seating. A glass case displays each day's gourmet donut flavors.

On the day I came here, 2 vegan donut flavors out of the approximately 10+ or so different kinds were offered: a vegan lemon glaze ($3.25 each) and a banana bread donut ($3.00 each).

The vegan lemon glaze had a tangy and sugary taste; the donut dough was moist and sweet - tastes a bit similar to a conventional sugary donut and a bit too sweet for my personal preference. The banana bread one actually tasted more like cake than donut; it was moist and nicely sweetened nicely (not too sweet).

You can enjoy your donut(s) with hot LaMill coffee or tea. Not a bad treat!

Pros: fresh made, gourmet donuts, good flavors
Cons: not cheap
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Devine vegan donuts

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

I couldn't resist splitting two of these with my gf. We NEVER indulge in sweets like this, but I chatted with the owner via email and learned that they are steamed and not fried and so probably the healthiest donut you can get these days. The lemon glaze is pure sin and just melts in your mouth. They were too rich for my blood and after a few bites each we threw in the towel. I hope for some low fat versions in the future. With that steaming method anything is possible!

Pros: lemon glaze, steamed not fried

Dear Owner and Manager of Fonuts: