Fo Guang Shan Temple

Offers healthy vegetarian food and the simple pleasure of tea-drinking. An array of healthy vegetarian food, coffee and tea are served daily. Decorated with Buddhist art. Gifts are also available for sale. Tour the temple and dine at the tea house (vegetarian food). The temple shuts at 5pm and the cafe may serve drinks after 4pm, but the kitchen closes at 4pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, International

Tue-Sun 10:00am-4:00pm

First Review by yvonnz
paysin17
paysin17

Definitely need to go there

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

I frequently go here for lunch, wonderful menu and great range of authentic Asian meals. The atmosphere is so beautiful and well priced. Must try the Laksa or the Vermicelli clay pot. However, can be very busy during lunch at weekends so pays to go a little earlier or a little later then peak lunch time. Volunteers that work there are very friendly and helpful. Varieties of teas available, do try the kumquat tea especially if you have a cold. Have taken friends and co-workers and they loved it. Plenty of parking.
Their Wednesday special lunch is also a great dish...with plenty of veges and tofu. Steamed dumplings are also very delicious.

Pros: delicious food, value for money, very friendly and courtoes staff
Cons: can be very busy in weekends, some dishes do contain eggs
NiccolaJane
NiccolaJane

Beautiful experience and Laksa to die for!

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2013

This place is the complete package.

Vibrant little cafe full of vegan and vegetarian mock meat / traditional Chinese style food, cute gift shop and stunning temple grounds complete with two art exhibitions.

I had the Laksa as recommended to me by a number of other Auckland vegans. It was amazing (to be honest I've never had a laksa before but if there's one in existence that's better than that I'll keel over and die of amazement). Gorgeous flavours and just enough of a kick for me. Warning: Lotus tea is very mild - probably go for another flavour.

Service was a little brusque and there was a bit of a wait for the food and then between the food and the arrival of the tea, but the busyness of the cafe and the language barrier are things I take into consideration so I didn't mind. You need to order at the counter, just grab a menu and then find yourself a table once you've ordered. The girl at the counter knew exactly what I meant when I asked about vegan options which I appreciated. I went straight for the Laksa so couldn't say what percentage of the menu is vegan / what other options there are but I'd say there'd be a variety of choices.

Once you've had your meal go for a stroll in the temple and view the art. You completely forget you're a three-minute drive away from a bustling mall and retail district.

Loved it and will be back.

Pros: Setting - divine
Cons: Somewhat average service
Dmitry
Dmitry

Feast for the eyes and stomach

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2011

That's a delightful Chinese Buddhist temple - huge, immaculately built with a huge golden Buddha statue inside and other beautifully made statues, a large courtyard with fancy trimmed grass squares and a "wishing bell" that you can ring to make a wish (with a few chants and bows that are written beside it - to do it properly). Entrance is free and you can wonder around (taking you shoes off inside the main temple & please taking pictures from the outside only) - there is a second floor with Buddhist art. There is a gift shop with lots of big and small statues (some quite intricately carved), pendants etc. And there is a cafe, which IMO is more like a restaurant - there is a huge menu folder with pictures of dishes, most to me appeared to be fairly vegan. I had fried soy pieces on wooden sticks, a spring roll, a veggie meat dumplings soup - all as entrees (there are multiple other soups as main portions), not bad tasting, and rather yummy vegetarian mince on rice with tofu slices, a lotus tea (though the flavor was a bit too subtle for me - next time I'll try a rose one), then I had a kind of a citrus/plum-tasting fruit tea in a tall wine-like glass (with real fruit inside) with a shortbread, which inside had something a bit like Turkish delight, sweet, but not too sweet, which was nice. All in all - the huge temple, the shop, the cafe are a window into 2000+ year old Chinese culture (some of those guys are from Taiwan) - not to be missed. Check the temple website, there is a service schedule and if you can get into one that might be quite an interesting experience too (I was given a sheet with chants in Chinese characters spelled out in English and some translation - though generally could not keep up as the language was so quick and pronunciation subtle).

Pros: Temple, Gift shop, Food
Cons: None really

yvonnz
yvonnz

Fo gang Shan Temple

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

It is a fair while since my husband and I ate here but at the time we loved the surroundings and the fact we could eat vegetarian food without worrying about whether or not it contained animal products. I was not quite sure if the biscuits and all the noodles had eggs so we avoided those items. Overall it was nice to go there to eat in quite exotic surroundings that were quiet and peaceful. We knew we were in a special place where people respected the food they were serving and the feeling of being in an ancient Chinese temple in the middle of Auckland added to the experience.

Pros: lovely environment, good food, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Fo Guang Shan Temple: