CLOSED: Flow Bar and...

Serves meat, veg options available. Organic farm-to-table cuisine, a hip converted factory building/art gallery with the restaurant, complete with an underground stream running beneath the restaurant. CONFIRM SHUT DOWN/CLOSED IN FEB 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by farmersara
voivoed
voivoed

Fantastic vegan food, some of the best I've had

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

I joined Happy Cow so I could post this, since the only review is from 2008.

Flow is not a vegan restaurant, but they will prepare you the best vegan meals you can find, upon request, especially if you call them in advance and make reservations. The chef enjoys coming up with different dishes and is truly passionate about his craft, and it shows in the food. Jim Thorpe is about an hour away from me, but I'm going there for my wedding anniversary in a few weeks for a nice vegan dinner at Flow.

Chef Zachary Pelliccio, who took over a couple of years ago, is a fantastic chef whose vegan dishes are at least as good as any other dishes I've tasted, and better than most. I've been to Horizons, Vedge, Candle 79, Sprig & Vine, etc, so I've had excellent vegan food to compare it with.

I've had the pleasure of going to two separate vegan events he organized at Flow, and was blown away. One was a 10-course vegan tasting menu, the other a 7-course vegan dinner. Both were amazing, made with seasonal produce and without using any "meat substitutes" like tofu or seitan. I can't praise him highly enough. I'd give them 5 stars but Happy Cow won't allow it since it's not a vegan restaurant.

Updated from previous review on Thursday February 07, 2013

Pros: Mind-blowing vegan food, Beautiful ambiance, it's also a gallery, Great service
Cons: A little on the expensive side
farmersara
farmersara

Welcome to Flow!

4 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2008

Hi! First, Let me introduce myself. I'm Sara, co-owner of 14 Acre Farm in Summit Hill, PA. My husband Kevin, together with our farm partner Albert, are in charge of the food at Flow. Harpo, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for your miserable experience. Being a new restaurant always has kinks to work out. As for the cursing, there is absolutely no excuse for that kind of behavior. Our kitchen prides itself on being professional and relaxed with a good employee relationship. My only guess for what happened was a poorly-timed Gordon Ramsay impression. I assure you no such antics will happen again. As for the food, I would like to explain the menu. We are a farm-to-table restaurant, with the majority of our food coming from local, sustainable farms. It's true, there are a lot of non-vegetarian items on our menu, especially in the Winter, when local produce is scarce to come by. While this may be a put-off for some vegetarians, it is a bonus when dining with non-vegetarian friends and family. Now that Spring is here, we have more options to choose from. Don't see something you like? Please feel free to request a vegan or vegetarian option from the kitchen; they would be happy to show off their creative side when it comes to local vegetarian cuisine. As for the tofu- the vast majority of US soy products (Vitasoy and all of its various subsidiaries) feature soybeans grown in Australia.
For any food we're going to showcase at Flow, we try to stay within 100 miles of the restaurant. I hope that you'll be willing to shake your negative impression of us and try us again on your next visit into town.

Pros: Local, Sustainable, Delicious
Cons: not 100% vegetarian, menu limited to local products
  • farmersara farmersara

I would like to update my above post: As of November 2008, 14 Acre Farm has no association with Flow. We wish them the best of luck, but no longer provide them with any bread or produce.

Guest
Guest

Where's the Tofu?

1 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2008

We recently visited Flow Restaurant, based on their claim to be vegetarian. (Not 100%) Well, not 100% is a stretch, the only item I found to be vegetarian on the menu was a salad and bread. There is MUCH MORE to being a vegetarian than bread, water and salad greens.Oh yes, a veggie burger with feta cheese, not suitable for consumption if you avoid dairy. Perhaps the owners are not familiar with non-animal proteins, that are an integral part of a vegetarians diet! Maybe the owner, who was present on the day we visited, was too busy screaming in the kitchen "I don't give a F--K (you fill in the blanks) I want it done this way!!! Was this a pleasant and inviting experience? No way! Maybe customers should follow the FLOW of the stream that runs through their restaurant and through the town and head downtown and visit another restaurant, even the Steak House and Chinese Restaurants have a more varied vegetarian offering! As well the pricing was a bit high for the limited, questionable veggie choices. My personal favorites in Jim Thorpe are Cafe Origins, Moya, and a few miles up route 209 in Nesquehoning, Macaluso's, all of these restaurants have more than bread and water as vegetarian choices and offer a more pleasant dining experience, I've never heard screaming owners using profanities to compliment your meal at those eateries, they offer a better experience for dining, Flow was a totally disappointing experience on every level imaginable. No Happy Cow here!

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: owner, menu choices, pricing
  • harpo harpo

My family and I happen to like Jim Thorpe and have traveled there several times, we sometimes travel out of NJ. Yes I did review Café Origins, after we visited there twice and found it acceptable to our standards. My review, once again was of the restaurant on the day I visited, and I do stand by it. The review I wrote is valid for my visit and MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, if it were not it would have been removed by Happy Cow. Continue to comment and speculate all you want. My review reflected MY EXPERIENCE!

• morykin morykin

I am the co-owner of Flow Bar + Restaurant in Jim Thorpe, PA and am reporting that this is a review intended to put-down a business solely to promote another business. First of all - the "Owner" does not work in the kitchen, let alone scream the expletives cited in this "review." We employ chefs that are experienced not only as culinary artists, but also incredible organic farmers. We have a number of daily, changing specials every day that include many wonderful vegetarian entrees - often vegan, sometimes lacto or lacto-ovo, and we are open to special requests to accommodate all types of dietary preferences. Though we are not a %100 vegetarian restaurant (we are more accurately billed as farm-to-table & organic, supporting sustainable fair-trade businesses) we have a number of dedicated vegetarian customers who can attest to our use of the freshest ingredients and delicious and varied selection of soups, sandwiches, entrees and desserts and our willingness to go the extra mile to support your dietary lifestyle and preferences.

• morykin morykin

I find it rather an odd "coincidence" tha HARPO from "Aberdeen, NJ" has only reviewed one other vegetarian restaurant and it happens to be in Jim Thorpe, PA...are there no veggie or veggie friendly restaurants in New Jersey? Only this one particular review besides the review of FLOW that also coincidentaly happens to be in Jim Thorpe and this negative "Review" mentions how much HARPO enjoys Cafe Origins...doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this posting is intended to put-down a business solely to promote another business and that "HARPO's" profile was created to populate a review in support of another business.

• harpo harpo

I feel my review was accurate for my personal experience and I stand by it. As for the screaming man,regardless of who he was,he came out of the kitchen shouting profanities. This was not only heard by myself,but other patrons who commented on it. As for the mention of the other restaurants,it was purely for comparison, not meant to promote any other business. I based my review on the experience at Flow on that day.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Flow Bar and Restaurant: