Los Angeles vegan restaurant cafe. Menu features classic American and comfort food (that's all vegan) plus fresh juices. Breakfast is served on weekends. Small and causal with a counter and glass case displaying deli salads and a small selection of organic produce for sale. Gets crowded at mealtime, especially on weekends. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Juice bar, Take-out
3818 W Sunset Blvd (Hyperion, in Silver Lake)
Los Angeles, California 90026
323-953-0611

Open Mon 11am-4pm, Tue-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat-Sun 10am-10pm.

First Review by The Veggie Cook
LindaKnorr
LindaKnorr

Cafe Flore is addictive - LOVE this place!

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

This is gourmet vegan food - WOW! We have never been disappointed at Cafe Flore. The Tofu Benediction is to die for! Everything we have tried at this restaurant has been amazing. I highly recommend Cafe Flore - super delicious vegan food at fair prices.

brandalock
brandalock

Hipsterlicious!

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

Flore is the "it" vegan hipster restaurant in the hipster capital of LA (a.k.a. Silver Lake).

My husband and I ventured out for a Sunday lunch and found this place hopping! There was a line (which always makes me so happy when vegan restaurants are this popular) and we put down our names. We went for a 15 minute walk, came back and got a seat inside in one of the booths.

The food was delicious and the food that passed us on our way to other tables looked equally delicious. I'm anxious to get back and try more things on their menu.

The prices were reasonable, I think we spent about $30 for the two of us for lunch. The service was also good, the hostess did a good job getting people to their seats as quickly as she could, tables were bused fast, cooks were firing food out, and the servers were on their A-game.

Parking is street parking, but we didn't have too much of a difficult time finding parking up in the neighborhood blocks behind the restaurant, even on a Sunday (but we don't mind walking a block or two for free parking).

The only thing I wish that was a little bit better was the cleanliness. The bathroom is small and a little sad looking. The floors could have used a good moping in general, but they were packed and it is a hipster joint after all...

Pros: Delicious food, Speedy service, Hipster experience
Cons: Could use a mop
Dake LaTrude
Dake LaTrude

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

This place is definitely worth trying!! Vegan style diner food, but classy and creative. You could eat healthy here but it's more of a place for a vegan pig-out feast, which is much needed! The prices are amazing given the quality, so I usually cannot resist trying out one of the very reasonably priced smoothies or desserts! The chocolate cupcakes are amazing! I feel like I'm putting on the pounds after a meal here but isn't that amazing for a vegan restaurant? I love the seitan tacos! The waiters are all SL hipster clones in beanies but not overtly rude, but neither warm.
Giving it 5 stars because it is great value and sits atop the pile of my best LA vegan experiences.

Pros: Great Prices!, Great Selection, Creative, Amazing Cakes
Cons: Sullen Hipster Waiters (but it's SL!)
Tigra220
Tigra220

Hit the Spot

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

I ordered brunch from Flore, plus a few other things for the road.

I wanted to try a few things so the Country Breakfast was perfect for me. It included:
Pancakes - not your typical pancakes. They reminded me a bran muffin made into a pancake. It was good, just wasn't what I was expecting.

vegan sausage patty - ok

Biscuit & gravy - Very good. 1 large biscuit with plenty of gravy. Very Southern-like, and very tasty.

country potatoes - very good! Made just like I grew eating them, with onions and green peppers + spices. Yum!

1 added a side of tempeh bacon - Very good, smoky flavor. Extra yum!

(So much food that I ate off of this for 2 days. All for under $11!)

I ordered a scoop of their tempeh no-tuna salad. This is one of the best tasting vegan tuna creations I've ever had. It is great as a sandwich or with crackers. Wish I'd gotten 2 scoops!

Desserts:
Ginger molasses cookie - Delicious!

Lemon bar - Delicious!

Lemon Berry cake - Good!

They had a case full of beautifully displayed desserts; I wish I had enough room to transport them all.

The place is quite small, but there wasn't a crowd when I was there (@ 10:30a-11am on a Sunday morning). Some outside seating as well.

The workers were friendly and helpful when I asked for suggestions on what desserts I should try.

I'll definitely return when I'm back in town.

Pros: 100% vegan, yummy brunch and desserts, reasonably priced
Cons: parking
Teo
Teo

To Be Continued ...

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

After many visits to LA, I finally found my favorite All-Vegan organic restaurant. I'll be dining at Flore during future visits. Very reasonable prices for very delicious food.

Pros: All Vegan, Wonderful Staff, All Vegan
Cons: Only one, 1,300 miles away

SLC
SLC

Hit or miss

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

I ordered tacos and my friend a comfort food bowl, I believe it was called and we both got the homemade ginger ale which was a little strong but outstanding. The food on the other hand was pretty hit or miss. The comfort food bowl was quite good, especially the quinoa and the veggie. The tacos weren't all that good though. Who serves bland plain brown rice with tacos?! And there was no salsa but a wing sauce which has way to much vinegar for that kind of meal. The coconut macaroon I got to go was also just average. My favorite part about this place is the location for one and the service. Our waiter was great!

Pros: home made ginger ale, prices, service
Cons: meal composition was not a fit, cookie very average for the price
JcRodriguez
JcRodriguez

WOOA

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

Now this is serious business, I love their food and desserts, very cool place , and food fresh...

Pros: good location, good food , nice people
Cons: small
Lily925
Lily925

Not too bad

3 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2013

We had brunch there today. Buckwheat pancakes with tempeh bacon and Cranberry French toast with potatoes. Both dishes were good not outrageous. French toast was better and had a beautiful presentation with strawberry and powdered sugar. I'd go again but not make a special trip to go there. I'd like to try their lunch food but wanted to try breakfast because there are so few vegan breakfast around.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, all vegan
vegandoll
vegandoll

Great Place, Great Food!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2012

Went here for the first time with a friend. Cute little place in a great neighborhood. Outdoor seating and inside. I had the avacado and cheese sandwich on rye bread with potato salad. It was fantastic!! The cheese was cashew-based and the sandwich is really large and filling with avacado and sprouts. Would totally recommend going here! Definitely going back :)

Pros: awesome neighborhood, great food, cute place
calivegan46
calivegan46

Great Food!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I came here for lunch on the weekend and it was packed! I had to wait 45 minutes to be seated, which to me shows that its a popular restaurant. The restaurant itself isn't anything special. However, the food is delicious! I also got some cupcakes which were equally good. On weekend mornings they serve brunch which would be worthwhile to try out. I would definitely come back to Flore and bring my non-vegan friends along!

Chia
Chia

Flore

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Flore Cafe review.

It's a very small space, kinda grungy with poor ventilation. On the other hand, the food menu is varied and taste is pretty good. Lots of American food stuff made all vegan: tofu scramble, tempeh reuben, pancakes, sandwiches, salads, and more.

Popular with the local crowds. All vegan.

JesiDi
JesiDi

• raw

So-so

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

I ordered the burrito as the waiter advised, I wasn't too impressed with the flavor combinations although everything was super fresh. The desserts are really great. The service wasn't up to par. The waiter was not cleanly (his hair was all over the place (not tied back), which is a health hazard) and even though there were lots of people behind the display cases, he was the only one helping anyone out. The waiter seemed over stressed and too busy and the food took too long to be able to justify it not being very good.

Pros: Fresh food, Great desserts
Cons: Not cleanly, Service slow
MissCindyPants
MissCindyPants

Tempeh tu-no melt

3 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2011

i use to love tuna melts when i was non veg which was over 12 years ago
and alway missed it once i stopped eating animals. i ordered the tempeh tu-no melt at flore and it was great! with avocado. the cashew cheese totally rocks!

Pros: good food, big menu, deli
Cons: hipsters, waiters are kinda rude, hard to find inside seating
jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

Enjoyed the Sunday brunch

4 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2010

We went for Sunday brunch and while we started out as the only people there, it filled up pretty quickly. The waitress was friendly and didn't mind when we asked for a latte instead of the coffee she'd already brought, because we didn't realize it was on the menu. I had biscuits and vegan "sausage" gravy, and my husband had whole wheat banana waffles. The biscuits and gravy were pretty amazing. It was a lot and I could only finish half. The whole wheat waffle was pretty good too. We also enjoyed the latte and a chocolate cupcake. I wish we could have tried more of the desserts, but we were stuffed. They looked amazing. They also had some lunch items that we'll have to come back for someday.

Pros: All vegan , friendly staff, delicious food
MrsVeganPizza
MrsVeganPizza

Another Great Vegan Cafe

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2010

I really enjoyed my trip to Flore the last time I was in the L.A. area. I got the Reuben with potato salad. The sandwich wasn't quite the same flavors as a more typical reuben, but just as delicious. The potato salad wasn't heavy on the vegenaise, like most vegan potato salad, but was just as delicious. I felt like this place put a twist on something typical, and it came out fresh and fantastic. The day I went was absolutely packed, so I was worried we might be waiting a very long time for our food to come. But to my surprise it came out in a very timely manner. So many great items to try. Can't wait to head over there again.

Pros: Fresh tasty food, Friendly Server, Free Parking in nearby neighborhood

Fun little dive

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

I like Flore! Kinda divey, but good food! I had the veggie sandwich and it was delicious... the only thing I wasn't too impressed with were the desserts. But the food is good enough to go back : )

Pros: FOOD
Cons: dessert, decor
katroshka
katroshka

My favorite thing about LA

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2010

I love this place! I've only made it there for brunch so far, but would love to try the rest of the menu. The food is very fresh and healthy, no processed imitation meats (I'll admit to a slight weakness to those, but the food here will make you not want them at all). Try the tomato basil "omelet" and the tofu benediction-- soooo good. The servings are pretty good size, you will most likely be able to take home decent leftovers. Best for small parties, the seating is limited.

Pros: yummy!, healthy food, large portions
Cons: can be crowded
sweetszlove
sweetszlove

Boring menu

4 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2010

I got the seitan mushroom burger and it was alright. The thousand island was really good, I got it with salad, not too exciting. I'm not a big fan of tempeh, so that may be why I wasn't impressed

Organic menu, I tried a cupcake, the frosting got really oily pretty quick and that was kinda gross, but the cake was delish

Pros: price, service
Cons: seating, menu options
rebeccaj
rebeccaj

Vegan, big portions, yummy

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2009

This place seems to open earlier than the other vegan joints in the area--that's how we ended up there on a recent trip to L.A.

My partner had an "omelet" with tomato and basil--it was delicious and huge. I had the blueberry buckwheat pancakes--also huge, also delicious, but I think I was more in the mood for something savory, than something sweet.

The service was friendly but slow--I think a large party came in right before we did. The place was packed, on a Saturday at 10:30am; the other patrons all seemed to be in their 20's (for whatever that tidbit of information is worth).

It was insanely loud--the only table left was right by the juicer and Vitamix. It was bearable after I put in earplugs. They have a shady awning outside--sidewalk eating would be quieter (though the street is a fairly busy one).

Pros: open at 10am, food: big, good, vegan, decent prices
Cons: LOUD! WHAT?, kind of grungy
  • vegangirltoo vegangirltoo

I heard you went and ate a the FLORE Resturant. This is a little tidbit to know when you eat at FLORE'S again(which I hope will be soon). On Saturdays it is mostly geared for the younger people(the 20 something yrs. olds). It might be best to eat there earlier during the week. I hope this has helped you somewhat. Ooh I forgot when you do go, ask for a table AWAY FROM THE BLENDERS SECTIONS. Ask for a non smoking section by the window or something(remember NOT BY THE BLENDER SECTIONS THAT'S REALLY BAD,IT'S A SPOT WITH A LOT OF NOISE)!!!!!!!!!!!

nrgy
nrgy

My favorite Vegan restaurant!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2009

This is the place i take all my non-vegan friends & it never fails to convince them that vegan food can be amazing. I haven't had any disappointing moments there- everything is so yummy. I recommend the FLORE BURGER! It's a lot of food but so so good. Also, the carrot cake is the best carrot cake I've had. PEACE! :)

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, desserts
Cons: parking, very slow
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Yummy

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

We've both ate there and had take-out. The food is delicious. Seitan quesadilla, reuben, club, and tu-no are all good. The cupcakes are yummy. The brunch is super tasty. We had the frittata and omelet and took a bite of my friend's blueberry pancakes. The service can be quite slow and the place looks a bit run-down, but the food is great.

Pros: tasty food , brunch, cupcakes
Cons: small space, slow service
kittykat
kittykat

love it!

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2009

my favorite vegan place. service is sometimes on the laid-back side but i dont really care--the food is worth it. seitan quesadilla is the best. club sandwich is close second. egg salad, mac n' cheese, blueberry pancakes-all fantastic. if they have chocolate cake in--GET IT!

Pros: food, atmosphere, dessert
Cons: parking
Vegyogini
Vegyogini

Flore

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

Flore's food is well-regarded and almost certain to please. I'd recommend the Flore burrito, although I wish there were more faux bacon dispersed throughout it.

brittany
brittany

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

This is absolutely my favorite vegan restaurant. I almost hate that I've tried so many of the dishes there because when I go, it takes me forever to decide what I want to eat. The tempeh reuben, tuno melt, burrito and quesadilla are all amazing. I love the cashew cheese. And the cupcakes are pretty darn good, too! Thank god my boyfriend will put up with me always wanting to eat there.

Pros: deliciousness!, cashew cheese, good lemonade
gildthatlily
gildthatlily

Delicious!

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

I went to Flore on August 8, 2008. I ordered a avocado and seitan salad with tahini dressing and it was SO good. It was a huge salad that also had mixed greens tomatoes, and other veggies. I was expecting less than great service based on other reviews I had read, but our waitress was incredibly nice and friendly. She recommended the tahini dressing, telling me it was her favorite with that salad, and I was glad I got it. The salad was fresh and filling, and the seitan had delicious seasoning. When I was ready for dessert and couldn't decide, the waitress told me the apple and cinnamon cupcake with cream cheese frosting "tasted like Christmas." How could I resist? The frosting was super creamy and the cupcake had nice, big apple chunks. I also ordered a lemonade which came packed with fresh mint leaves. Really refreshing after a day of walking around in LA.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: A little hot inside, but not a big deal.
Roethke
Roethke

Wonderful

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2008

I've eaten here quite a few times, and every time it is delicious. THey're usually quite busy, but always worth the wait. The vegan benedict is superb!

Pros: great food, deserts, friendly staff
Cons: busy
acidkitty
acidkitty

Yum!

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2008

OK, so the service can be a little slow and sometimes ytou have to wait for a table. But everything I've ever eaten here, and everything my friends have eaten, has been delicious. I highly recommend the blueberry buckwheat pancakes, the breakfast burrito and the tuno melt. It's not too expensive, either. Great brunch place.

Pros: yummy food, good value
Cons: small , wait for seats
darlingviolettas
darlingviolettas

Top 5 Favorite Vegan Restaurants

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2008

Flore is without a doubt in my top 5 favorite vegan restaurants... I've eaten there at least ten times in the last three months. I'm strict vegan and being able to go to a place where you don't have to worry about any dairy or meat is fantastic. Everything is UBER tasty... the BEST thing is Tempeh Bacon Pizza ! They're Reuben, quesadilla, cheese platter are all excellent.

Pros: Delectable, Decent Prices, Friendly Staff
Cons: Slow Service When Busy
ben rand
ben rand

• raw

Amazing Food

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2008

Quite simple the best breakfast & brunch. The cooks clearly know vegan food has to taste great--no point serving hunks of tofu! The food is incredibly and innovatively spiced--they understand herbs & spices here. All brunch items great, but my favourites are the griddle cakes, buckwheat pancakes & omelettes.

Pros: great food, Brisk & efficient service
Cons: parking tough, very small space
LA10
LA10

• non-vegetarian

Flore issues

2 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2008

I used to like Flore when it first opened. It's in a great location, Sunset Junction area, next to great stores. While the service has never been good there (though, yes, people are usually cheerful), and the place heats up like a sweat box during the summer, the food was generally good. Sandwiches, salads, nothing fancy. But more and more I've noticed things going a bit to seed. First, the waiters, cooks and cash register attendants looking kind of dirty. Dirt under fingernails, some major BO, etc. I saw one guy stick his finger into hummus he was making and then lick his hand, yuck. Also the restaurant looking less and less well kept, and the bathroom, so small, looking unclean. More and more, the food is looking sloppy, a bit worn and not tasting as good. Recently my friend got a Reuben sandwich, and the bread, which she asked to be toasted, was partially burnt. Then the menu stays the same. Other places, like M Cafe and Real Food Daily, change it up. I had such high hopes for Flore and just feel disappointed.

Pros: portobello sandwich
Cons: dirty, bad, blase service, not enough room
spikeandjezebel
spikeandjezebel

Good food, poor/slow service

2 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

I have eaten at Flore three times now, and while the food has been good each time, the service has been extremely slow and/or poor. I was willing to let that slide the first two times, but after today I felt compelled to write a review. My wife and I were seated and ordered: We each ordered a lemonade to drink, we ordered an appetizer of steamed edamame for a starter, and she ordered the Reuban (they were out of rye, so she chose spelt bread instead) while I ordered the vegetable pizza with no soy mozerella. After waiting five minutes or so, the server brought out one lemonade, and told us that they had to make more so it would be a few minutes. That was fine, so we shared the one that we got. After waiting 20 minutes, the server promised that our food was coming soon. My wife then asked about the second lemonade and the edamame, and the server told us they were "working on it". Another 5 minutes pass, and the second lemonade finally showed up, still no food though. 10 minutes later the edamame arrived, but was barely even warm. We devoured all of it rapidly since we were both famished. We finished that and it was taken away, and I asked my wife if she wanted to bet on whether my pizza would actually arrive with no soy cheese as I had asked. Sure enough, the server eventually came with my wife's sandwich, and told me that they had made my pizza with soy cheese and that they were going to make another one. (This was nearly an hour after we ordered.) She returned in another 5 minutes and told me she could just bring out the one with soy cheese while I was waiting. I told her I didn't want it at all anymore and to just please bring the check. She was apologetic and brought the check, and had taken off the two lemonades to make up for it. We paid and left, and I doubt I will ever return.

It's a real shame, because I do like the food, but it was a most unpleasant experience.

Pros: Good food, if it shows up and is correct
Cons: Slow service, Incorrect/not warm food, VERY loud inside
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

total 5 happy cows! hands down!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2008

I originally set out to eat at Cru tonight, but it was closed. Luckily Flore was right down the street. There was a line! You can always tell if the food is going to rock if there is a line!!! That rang true tonight. I had the Tempeh Rueben. It was FANTASTIC. I wish I'd have brought my girlfriend with me because I could have easily split it with her, instead I cleaned the plate! Their dessert window was pretty low so I'll save it for next visit when I can share! But wow, Flore is great! You can't go wrong!

Pros: Tempeh Rueben, nice people, 100% vegan!
Ladywaters
Ladywaters

Yummy!

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2008

What a great place! We went on a Saturday for breakfast. I had the Tofu Benediction and my husband had the breakfast burrito. The plates were huge! My husband who has a great appetite could barely finish the burrito. The burrito was packed with potatoes,tofu,and tempeh bacon - he loved it. The tofu benediction was really good-it was so much food! There were three hearty pieces of bread topped with tofu, tomato, kale, and their own hollandaise sauce, with a side of potatoes with tempeh bacon. So good!
The place is small-but that's what makes it quaint. The food was reasonably priced.The service was spot on as well. We will go back next time we are in L.A.

sarahmaru
sarahmaru

just go

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2008

first of all, Eric Wareheim was at the table next to us, which was super awesome. plus the food was awesome (mad crazy raw cheesecake). best pizza crust ever, incredible tu-no melt. but it was cramped, chilly, and even a little smokey because the door was open. and the service was ridiculously slow. still, you have to go.

Pros: incredible food, silver lake is a great area
Cons: slowest service ever, crowded
Mimi710
Mimi710

okay

2 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2007

Honestly, I found this place to be mediocre. I do love the fact that vegan restaurants are popping up all over the city like crazy though! I've only been once. I would try this place again if I was in the area, but the service was slow, and they forgot the tofu that was supposed to be inside of my sandwhich and ended up giving it to me on a plate when I asked later. The tonic drink is nasty and I do not recommend it. The dessert however, was excellent. :) Go for desert and you won't regret it. In a funky neighborhood. Loved the flower painting on the wall. Should not be compared with Real Food Daily however.

Pros: yummy desserts, cute decor
Cons: mediocre food, service lacking
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Good Concept and Could be Better

3 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2007

I've been here a few times since the beginning, and each time the food has been just okay. The space is a bit cramped inside, and the deli counter takes up a huge space. It's noisy, too. But the servers are cheerful and it's good to come to an all vegan place. Should get better.

So fresh!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

This restaurant is the east side's answer to real food daily or M cafe de chaya! The breakfast on the weekends is incredible. Cranberry walnut french toast is my favorite.

Pros: organic, vegan staff and owners, innovative menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Flore: