Vegan food cafe in the center of the Neustadt serving local coffee, cakes, vegan ice cream, and weekly changing meals (curry, soup, burger, pizza, etc.). May 2014 per reported no longer offering cow milk. FEB 14, 2015 REPORTED CLOSED FOR UNKNOWN REASONS AND UNSURE WHEN TO RE-OPEN, PLEASE LET HAPPYCOW KNOW IF/WHEN IT RE-OPENS! Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Pizza, International, Western
Schoenefelder Strasse 2 (Dresden-Neustadt)
Dresden, Germany 01099

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible
  • Cash only

First Review by Waitatian
marky_mark
marky_mark

quiet, nice vegan restaurant

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2015

quiet, nice vegan restaurant in alternative part of town

the food is very good & fresh

garlic-free food available, yeah

furniture is assembled from old german interieur, quite beautiful

Pros: peaceful atmosphere, good food
danveg
danveg

Ich würde zurückgehen

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2015

Hier findet man eine breite Auswahl an leckeren, originellen sowie frisch zubereiteten Speisen. Das Personal und das Interieur sind sehr angenehm.

Cons: Nicht biologisch
Mwynen
Mwynen

Good restaurant, but not outstanding

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2015

The Flax is a small restaurant with a bohemian vibe. The furniture is cheap and the chairs not very comfy, so we weren't tempted into staying longer than necessary, which turned out to be quite long after all.

The dishes we had were simple and good, but not out of the ordinary. The tomato-mozzarella salad we had for starter was tasty, the Flax Burger a few people here on HappyCow praised was ok, but not nearly as good as the burger we had at "Falscher Hase".

Our only real critisism is that we had to wait ages for our starter. We waited exactly for an hour, the main came quickly after that. I don't have any problems waiting a bit longer for freshly prepared food, at other restaurants that usually takes 20 to 30 mins, but one hour is just too long.

Pros: tasty mozzarella
Cons: waiting time too long (one hour)

annabazoo
annabazoo

stunning!

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2015

I love this place. I don't know how they make the vegan mozzarella, but it is incredible. The spaetzle is not to be missed. I was overjoyed to be able to enjoy one of my favorite German dishes from my pregan days. They have a nice selection of sparkling juices and a herbal lemonade which is my favorite. We had a chocolate cherry that "blew the brains" outta my omnivore companions. They also serve Pau Pau vegan ice cream which is quite good.

Pros: vegan cheese! , yummy drinks, changing menu
Cons: sometimes understaffed
Fab2100
Fab2100

Perfect!

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2015

Great meals, nice staff and very cheap.
And the Flax Burger with cheese is the best!

Pros: Nice staff, Great food, Very cheap
Cons: No cards accepted
BastiLejon
BastiLejon

Great food, nice little restaurant!

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2014

The food was amazing, fresh delicious and good looking. The restaurant itself was small and cute. A little warm and loud today but we still had a great time!

Mayo
Mayo

Very good inexpensive food ans fair drinks

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

We had 3 different meals between 6,90 and 7,50 and all 3 were awesome. fresh, tasty, good lookin and inexpensive. good ambiance in a nice alternative street.

Pros: food, price, streetlive
Cons: meals only between 12.00-14.30, door closed between 14.30 and 18.00

Best in Dresden!

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Flax is one of my favourite restaurants and hang-out spots in Dresden. Not only do they offer some of the most amazing, delicious vegan food, but the friendly vibes and comfortable café style interior design make you feel right at home.

I can highly recommend trying their famous 'Flax Burger', which can be enjoyed until the very last bite... What are you waiting for?

For vegans, vegetarians and non-vegetarians... everyone can enjoy this fine establishment!

Pros: Free Wifi, Delicious Food, Reasonably Priced
coling
coling

Tasty and reasonable

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

Liked the food so much made the trip back again. The "shepherds pie" is amazingly good, the pizza even better. Contrary to belief FLax do not advertise as Vegan, all the food is vegan but watch the coffee with milk , the dark chocolate cake and soy cream we had was freshly made . The staff are very friendly and helpful, all spoke English , it is a bit out of the way but worth the effort.

Pros: Food, Price, Environment
Cons: No signs on the toilets
PinsInMyNeedles
PinsInMyNeedles

Must Eat!

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

I can absolutely recommend this place. Very tasty food with a nice range of variety on the menu. Offers both 'faux meat' and 'naturally veg' dishes. Friendly staff and nice atmosphere. Reasonable prices.

Book a table if you want to eat there on a Friday or Saturday night!

Pros: Very tasty food, Friendly atmosphere
HornSucker
HornSucker

It was a very pleasant suprise

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

to find a vegan restaurant of this quality in Dresden, and with a Kiwi connection too! It is a little hard to find for a stranger to Dresden but directions to the 'Green House' on 'Kamenzer Strasse' eventually worked........eventually!
As a New Zealander it was great to meet and greet with Chloe, a fellow New Zealander, who is the owner and head chef of Flax. She told me that she has only been open since April of last year but it seems to have already gained a bit of a following. We've eaten there a couple of times this week and been impressed with both the food and friendly service.
The first night I had the sweet potato pizza with red onion, tomato and aioli which was a revelation! A decent vegan pizza at last! The base was thin and firm as it should be and the filling was soft and very thick. My wife had a mixed salad with home made pesto and a side dish of fried potato slices and aioli and reported that it was tasty and crisp, everything a salad should be.
The second visit was a bit of a copy of the first in that I had pizza again which I shared with my wife except that we had a starter of red lentil soup, garnished with yogurt, which was served with dark bread. We had a couple of glasses of the house wine and some 'Lossnitz' a local German beer.
Prices for the meal were very resonable, in fact by NZ standards, bordering on cheap! My German is almost non existant (I can ask for a beer!) so it was good to have the waiter speak English.
If I have any complaint is would be that the toiles were hard to find! Three doors and none of them marked. Whene I did find the right door the light was off! I didn't know where the light switch was or even if I was in the broom closet or the toilet!
A good place to visit and we shall certainly eat there again.

Pros: Great food. Good prices., Good atmosphere., Friendy, English speaking staff.
Cons: Not well advertised., Elusive Toilets.
Deschamps Jean Claud
Deschamps Jean Claud

Cow milk ??? WHY ?

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2013

When you go in a VEGAN restaurant, you know that you eat VEGAN !
I tried to speak to someone from the team, to find a real reason for cow milk...
"Kompromiss" I've heard ! Why not Leather or fish ?
This restaurant (I prefer Snack) is a speciall "vegan" with cow-milk. If like me you don't understand, why we find this animal product in a vegan restaurant, try again to know...

For me, no more: this is not a real vegan... vegetarian, yes.

I eat at evening, and I'm disapointed from the quality, "Kircherbsen/Kartoffeln/Champignons... a few champignons...
Salad served with dressing, like in a truckdriver restaurant... without any care.
The bowl from "Rotelinsensuppe", empty, was staying all the dinner on the table...
Was not removed...

Low price, but low quality.

Pros: nothing
Cons: COW MILK !!!
    mmortlock

Flax no longer have cow milk, thankfully it has been taken out of the premises! It is now a strictly VEGAN menu for those in doubt after reading this post. ;)

HappyFish
HappyFish

Hidden Gem in Dresden

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

Great food. We had the Flax burger and a chickpea curry from the daily menu, and both were very tasty. Staff is very friendly. Only reason for not giving five cows is that the atmosphere is not like a restaurant, but rather like a snack bar.

Pros: Good Food, Prices Reasonable
laurute
laurute

Nice and tasty

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

We are very happy to salute the second vegan restaurant in Dresden. The atmosphere is very nice, the people friendly and the food very tasty (and not only the regular vegan burger that you find everywhere...). The opening times are a little bit strange, so that we often cannot it there at all, which is a pity.
What we do not understand is why they offer milk for coffee. If it wants to be a vegan restaurant that shoul not happen, it causes confusion. We have often ask the first times, "is it all vegan here?".
Once we asked if the cakes were made with margarine (which we do not eat for environmental reasons) and a girl answered: "there is not margarine, it is all vegan".... well, margarine is actually vegan too.... she could simply not answer our question. But I see it is a tipical problem here in Germany, the stuff is often not acquainted with the food they are selling, which is a pity, especially if you want to promote new ways of eating like veganism.
It is not a big deal anyway, we will surely go back!

Pros: Tasty food, Nice place, Friendly stuff
Cons: Milk for coffe, Strange opening times
Waitatian
Waitatian

Excellent!!

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

I'm sitting in this great atmosphere cafe with super friendly staff and have heard more than once people question whether the food is really vegan or not. The chef who's been vegan for nearly 10 years has sourced vegan cheese and sour cream and the pleasure of indulging in a pizza that actually tastes like pizza makes me wonder why there's not more places like this in the world. Of course there's plenty of other delicious food!
A wide range of people eat here, super fast internet, very comfy place to either munch and move on or lounge around and enjoy hanging. Most of the staff speak English, they're happy for you to plug in your computer, plenty of power points, although I'm the only one online, mostly everyone else seems to come eat, drink and enjoy. Oh, vegan ice cream as well. :D
Only four months old, this cafe already has many many established regulars, and is a fine place to dine.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 10, 2013

Pros: Friendly staff, 100% vegan (milk only for coffee), OMG Pizzas with cheese!!
Cons: shut from 3-6pm, Food too yummy!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Flax: