Flatbread Pizza

Serves meat, veg options available. This restaurant houses a real and large clay oven, and you can watch pizzas being made. Menu features several flat bread pizzas, an organic salad with option of add-ons, drinks, and dessert with egg & dairy. All pizzas contain dairy except for one red sauce vegan pizza, labeled as "vegan, no cheese." Spacious inside. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Pizza, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
89 Hana Highway (Baldwin Ave, Maui)
Paia, Hawaii 96779
808-579-8989

Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-10pm.

First Review by kindlizard
Chia
Chia

Bring your own vegan cheese

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and have eaten here twice on two separate trips to Maui. Was just here in December 2012, and here's my Flatbread Pizza review.

Flatbread Pizza Paia is located in the heart of Paia town where all the tourists and nearby residents like to come for food and shopping. The interior is very casual, a bit rustic and dim, with a large dome-shaped clay oven to one side of the room. Plenty of seating inside plus a covered back patio.

The menu is concise, just salads, pizzas, desserts, and drinks. On the pizza section of the menu, most all contain dairy with the exception of only one labeled as "Vegan pizza (no cheese)."

The first time here I had the vegan pizza without cheese, and it was okay though a bit dry and not particularly exciting. It consisted of pizza bread on the bottom, topped by a thin layer of red marinara sauce, then fresh tomato slices, mushroom, caramelized sweet onion, and avocado slices. I enjoyed the onions as it gave the pizza a sweet flavor.

The second time here, we brought our own un-opened bag of Daiya Cheese (vegan) that we had purchased from Mana Foods just up the street. The kitchen two 16-inch pizzas with this cheese, and it came out just perfect--not too cheezy or oily. The topping this time around was different. Avocado was not on the ingredients list for the vegan pizza. Also, the price went up slightly to $19.50 each.

Note that the pizza with pesto is NOT vegan.

I'also had the organic salad, which is vegan suitable, and that was alright. It came with had a light and tangy vinagrette dressing, plus romaine greens, shredded papaya, carrots. It was small but enough for 2 people to share as an appetizer.

Vegetarians who eat cheese will have several pizzas from which to choose, but vegans have only one. We asked why they don't offer vegan cheese, and the response we got was, "We're corporate. I don't know."

Overall, our second time eating here was better than the first.

Pros: can bring your own vegan cheese, good pizza crust, prompt service
Cons: long wait on weekends
Robynwdann
Robynwdann

BYOC

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2012

When there's a menu option called "The Vegan" and there's a vegan dessert, i'm stoked. This place was super friendly, served really yummy pizza, and let us bring in our own Daiya!

Pros: Vegan Pizza, Vegan Brownie, YUMMY SALAD
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

best pizza in maui!

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

If I were to drive the Hanna highway again I'd call ahead and get the vegan pizza (minus onions and garlic oil: personal preference) for the trip. This is the best pizza I've had in memorable history, its loaded with locally grown maui tomatoes, spinach, mushhrooms and spices. Its all organic and the 16" is HUGE! Its super afordable, too! 26$ for two people including a delightful fresh lemonade. They slice it in super thin ribbons which makes it great for eating while driving :)a. Service was awesome, the fire place where they cook the pizzas is super cool, too.
(Five happycows for sure! Since its not 100%a veg I can only give it 4)

Pros: organic and local, super nice staff , eclectic decor
kindlizard
kindlizard

super diggity vegan pie, tropical salad

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

The pie is very tasty. It emphasized local produce, avo, famous Maui onions, tomato, and is perfectly baked in the clay oven. The salad has a great dressing, I think it had lillikoi in it, was topped w seaweed, shredded papaya, and was bountiful, more than enough for two to share. We had lillikoi lemonades. It was awesome.

We stopped here for takeout after that first day when passing through Paia, it is on the Hana Hwy. The box shows other locations, a few in the NE, Ptd, ME and so forth. It is not a "chain" as the other reviewer might prtray; I doubt the one in Ptd ME has lillkoi dressing and lemonade or uses fresh Maui produce.

Good stuff. Cool vibe in the place too; nice folks.

Pros: goooood pizza

Dear Owner and Manager of Flatbread Pizza: