Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn

Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegetarian burritos like the Thai-me-up, tree hugger, and veggie deluxe; plus one vegan burrito. Or you can substitute a grilled fillin (eggplant, portabello mushroom, and two types of tofu) in place of meat. Most items can be made to order. There is a fresh salsa bar. Daiya vegan cheese is available for extra up-charge. Quirky and fun atmosphere with a game room for children. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, American, Mexican, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
4002 Oleander Dr (Lincoln Rd)
Wilmington, North Carolina 28403

Vegan Food Love
Vegan Food Love

Salsa Bar is Most Redeeming Quality

3 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2014

We both got a Salad with no cheese add a side of guacamole, and a side of beans and rice. The beans and rice were plain, which I like. The salad was okay, the guacamole was a bit over garlic-ed. The salsa bar made everything taste good and we would go back just for that.

Pros: Salsa Bar
VegansillyCat
VegansillyCat

Vegan options, but they will mess up your order

2 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

I've been here several times. I like the option to get tofu and daiya cheese, but at least half the times I ordered, they've put sour cream on my burrito or regular cheese. When they get it right, the burrito is awesome and the salsa bar is great, but I hate that the cheese/sour cream goes to waste, meaning that the animals suffered for nothing. Great for vegetarians. But really iffy for vegans.

Pros: Vegan options (tofu, daiya), Big portions
Cons: Mess up vegan orders
  • jetgal jetgal

I've eaten at this place for years and they have Never messed up my order.

vegan53
vegan53

Check your food before eating

1 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

I've been to Flaming Amy's a few times and had no problems. The food was very good, service not great. But the last couple of times I went there, they gave me chicken instead of tofu and regular cheese instead of the vegan cheese as requested.
The reason I'm a vegan is to reduce the amount of animal suffering that occurs. When a restaurant serves me meat instead of what I ordered, tofu, then that meal goes in the garbage. So the animal was killed for nothing.
This really really bothers me and when I expressed this to the "manager", who looked 18 years old, there was not even a hint of concern. Not even an apology.
I won't go again and be warned, check your food very carefully.

Pros: some food is good, food is ready quickly
Cons: don't get what you order, bad service

BFonville
BFonville

killer salsa bar

4 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

Flaming Amy's is a Wilmington landmark! They've been serving awesome burritos for over a decade. You can build your own or most of their signature burritos can be made with tofu and dairy-free cheese and sour cream.

Pros: fresh ingredients, homemade salsa bar, cheap beer
cimarron
cimarron

very big and very good burritos

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2012

These were extremely yummy! The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was perfect for our family of 3 young kids.
The only thing that would make it even more perfect was if our burritos had some yummy guacamole in it. We are guac lovers and just assumed our burritos would have it. But they were very excellent anyway!

Pros: excellent food, wonderful staff, huge portions
Cons: no guac in our burrito
gardener62
gardener62

Good Food, Good Price!

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2011

The service is usually quick and courteous and the price is very good for all the food you get.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, healthy cuisine
kindra_78
kindra_78

Not recommended for people with food allergies.

2 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2011

Personally I am vegan but my son is not by choice...he is one year old and has a severe milk/casien allergy. We had been to Flaming Amys a couple of times... we will not be returning. My son and I share a black bean burrito with guacamole and tomatoes. Confirmed no cheese, no sour cream...nothing that will affect my diet plans or his severe allergy. Upon receiving our food... we enjoyed the first few bites... about half way into our burrito that I was sharing with my son... I happened to open the burrito and look inside... to my suprise there was a few shreds of cheese inside our burrito... almost as if the chef may have had it on his board, or his glove... either way we left our food and rushed out of there... not my kind of place to have to stab my one year old in the leg with an epi pen... I was furious and so disappointed because this was a favorite place of ours. If you do not have a food allergy or any kind of special diet needs... I highly recommend this place... not if you are. allergic in any way... My son luckily did not have a reaction... mothers intuition I suppose... but not worth taking that chance ever again...sad such carelessness can really ruin someones point of view.

suecag
suecag

Vegan burritos and tacos, daiya cheese, tvp

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

I have been to Flaming Amy's numerous times. The staff is great because every single one of them knows what vegan means. The place is big with art covering the walls. If the line is long, don't worry it moves fast.

They recently started stocking Daiya cheese.

I usually order the Tree Hugger burrito with Daiya cheese. This burrito is stuffed with tofu, rice, your choice of beans (pinto, black, both), lettuce, shredded carrot, salsa, and cheese. It is gigantic and a great deal at $6.95 + .25 for the Daiya. You can also get their homemade TVP mix in there instead of tofu or in addition to it. Their guacamole is great as well, though I usually get it on the side.

Vegan soft tacos are another great choice. These have Amy's TVP in them and the vegan cheese. You can get them as a platter, with a big helping of rice and beans. In my opinion, they are expensive unless they are on special. They are $2.25 each with a .25 upcharge for TVP, and .25 for Daiya. I got the platter of 3 vegan soft tacos with the rice and beans and it came out to around $9.18. A burrito is a much better deal.

I haven't tried them but supposedly you can also get a Daiya quesadilla or vegan nachos, or pretty much whatever else is on the menu made vegan.

There is also another burrito called The Big Jerk which includes "jerk tofu" but I thought the tofu was soft and tasteless. Honestly, the tofu on the Tree Hugger could be better as well, but I prefer it over the jerk tofu.

The only significant cons are... First, there is no vegan menu or symbol on the menu marking something that can be made vegan. There is no mention of vegan on the board you order off of. There is no mention on their website either. I had to message them in order to find out what they could do. All that exists is a small sign in front of the cash register. If I were them, I'd get the word out!

Secondly, I usually order pinto beans only in my burrito or along with my soft tacos, but I invariably get some stray black beans. Because of this and the fact that they prepare meals at lightning speed, I worry about meat contamination. I have not had any issue so far, but I inspect my food every single time because I'm worried about it.

Oh yeah, also they are a bit skimpy with the Daiya on the burritos.

Pros: Vegan-Friendly, Smart Staff, Huge Burritos
Cons: No Vegan Menu, Contamination Fear, Soft Taco Prices
Exit
Exit

Go For It! Hot, Fast, Cheap, and Easy!

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

After moving away 10 years ago, I've been returning for visits to Wilmington for years now. This was the place that I 'took home' with me to tell my friends. Now that I live in Wilmington again and only a short walk away, I eat there several times a week.

As a vegetarian of 19 years, I take my food choices seriously. I do not eat off grills where meat is prepared, nor do I eat deep fried foods that share the same oil with meat. I will assume that like most non-vegetarian restaurants that all grilling is done on a shared surface. On the positive side, they make their own tortilla chips which are fried in their own oil and not touched by meat.

Regardless of my requirements, Amy's has a lot of options available. Basically, if the menu items aren't of interest, you can create a burrito with a variety of items. A unique option is the Jerk Tofu, beside the standard Marinated Tofu.

The highlight in my book is the salsa bar. I've not seen one before, but this really is a strong point. Which any burrito, you get a helping of freshly made tortilla chips. From there, journey to the center for 8 fresh salsas which are constantly being turned around. These do not sit around all day, not that they would last that long!

The salsas available are:
Fresh Tomato Salsa, Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa, Black Bean & Corn Salsa, Flaming Hot Salsa, Green Tomatillo Salsa, Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa, Cucumber Salsa, Avocado Wasabi Salsa, and Ginger Peach Salsa.

The environment is colorful, fun, and 'punky' - most of the staff have tattoos. There are a plenty of tables available, and there is also outside seating. There isn't table service, just an ordering line. The music played differs from day to day. One night, the XM radio was playing some of my favorites such as Siouxsie & The Banshees, the Smiths, and Love & Rockets.

Things I would like to see would be perhaps some jalapeno cornbread added to the menu and a full liquor license so that one could have a margarita. In North Carolina, you need a separate license for anything harder than beer and wine, so the last wish of mine probably won't come true.

All in all a great place, and probably the best of the handful of restaurants that a vegetarian/vegan can feel comfortable in. I highly recommend this to both veggies and non-veggie.

Pros: Fresh Salsa Bar, Variety, Cheap!
Cons: No Margaritas
jetgal
jetgal

Awesome Awesome Awesome!

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2010

I go to Wilmington to see my friends, but Flaming Amy's is my first stop on the way in and usually my last stop on the way out. It is just that good! I usually order the Tree Hugger or the Thai Me Up with Tofu. The line moves quickly so don't be intimidated by the crowd- besides, it gives you the opportunity to read the surplus of options on the menu!

Pros: Finger-lickin'good, great value, fun atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn: