Fast and casual venue serving vegan Mexican food that's gmo-free. Menu features pozole, taquitos, tamales, enchiladas, chalupas, salads, and non-alcoholic Mexican drinks. Operates booths at the Berkeley farmers markets and an outlet in Fresno. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Mexican, Fast food, Take-out, Catering

AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Authentic little restaurant

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2014

Flacos is a little house divided into a kitchen, a counter, and a small indoor seating area (maybe 15 people max could fit inside at once). It's cool you can see exactly what's going on with the food but can definitely get cramped. They also have several tables outdoors if the weather is nice, and are in a parking lot so parking is easy, and very near a BART station if you prefer public transit.

It's quite casual, order at the counter and bus your own dishes. The food and people there seem very authentic to Mexican cooking, unfortunately for my taste it is too authentic, featuring a lot of fried food and fillers. It's definitely not fresh "California style" Mexican food, and didn't strike me as healthy or satisfying. Although I wouldn't go back, I can see why people who enjoy this type of food would love Flacos.

Pros: Authentic, Parking/Transit easy
Cons: Not a great value
pisceschic
pisceschic

Stellar

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

I visited on my birthday and thoroughly enjoyed my complimentary birthday plate. Friendly staff, delicious and well-priced food.

Pros: Vegan, Outdoor seating, Parking
Cons: Doesn't serve alcohol
FoodAndLoathing
FoodAndLoathing

Great hidden gem!

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

Flacos is one of my favorite places to get food in the East Bay! I have a frequent buyers card even.

It's Mexican food and it's reasonably priced, especially compared with, say, Gracias Madre in San Francisco. I love their taquitos the best, which I think everyone agrees with (although, where I'm from, they call these "flautas" not "taquitos").

Buyer beware about one thing -- their hot salsa is REALLY REALLY hot. I mean, I'm a hot orderer. I like hot stuff and people always remark about my non-sensitivity to spiciness. That said, although I can eat their hot salsa, it's a bit too much for me, I prefer the mild. Most people I know could not hack it.

Pros: vegan, taquitos

earthville
earthville

Vegan Mexican Oasis! :-)

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

For someone raised on excellent Mexican food and eating less of it in restaurants since becoming vegan, Flacos is a dream come true!

We've tried everything they make and love all of it, so dive in. If i had to recommend one dish above the others, i'd say start with the banana leaf tamal and the taco especial.

The horchata (vegan!) is delicious, and the hot green salsa has great flavor and kick.

For those who prefer to avoid fried food, there's salad, black beans, and rice. And you'll be happy to know at least some of their ingredients are organic and their take-out packaging is biodegradable.

There's indoor and outdoor seating.

Service was quick and the owner is a very warm, friendly, attentive gentleman.

Our only complaint is really a compliment: we wish there were more items on the menu.

We really can't praise Flacos highly enough, so try it for yourself! :-)

Updated from previous review on Sunday July 01, 2012

Pros: All-vegan Mexican staples, Delicious!, Some organics
tartarugafechada
tartarugafechada

Excellent and affordable Mexican food

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

The skinny on Flacos is that it's great vegan Mexican food. The menu is small, but everything is homemade and excellent. Love the taquitos and tacos, and, for a sweet tooth, the polvorones are perfect 2-bite awesomenesses. If you like heat, get the hot avocado salsa but be warned -- the heat only comes in major burning variety. For a little more reasonable fire, you may want to ask for a hot/mild mix. My only complaint is when the owner is not there (he frequently is), service can really lag and be a bit (strangely) surly. I have no idea why, but it's happened so much, it's worth a mention. If you get that version of the Flacos experience, definitely try again because it's not the norm.

Pros: taquito Tuesdays!, avocado salsa!
veganonfoot
veganonfoot

Delicious vegan Mexican food

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

Flacos was a treat to visit. Friendly service, delicious food, and nice outdoor seating for a nice summer dinner.

Really nice fake meat and fresh ingredients. Will be going back for sure!

sandykaren
sandykaren

I'm obsessed!

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

Flaco's is a great little find with a short menu filled with deliciousness! I haven't had anything I don't love (okay, their rice is just average), It's reasonably priced and the staff is helpful and courteous. Give it a try.

Pros: Great vegan food, Reasonably priced
Cons: Limited menu
veganjess86
veganjess86

TAQUITOS

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

go here now and eat as many taquitos as you can, these delicious tortilla tried fake meats with whatever green sauce they put on them it the best! Especially on Taquito Tuesday when they are just a buck!

Chia
Chia

Vegan Pozole and more

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and was pleased to find them at the San Francisco World Veg Fest in October 2012. Here's my Flacos review.

Flacos had a booth at festival on the day I visited, so I thought I'd give it a try. The day's menu included taquitos, tamales, and pozole. My friends each had a tamale with sauce (you can specify spicy or mild), and they liked their food. I opted for a pozole--it's a salty, slightly spiced red soup with hearty large corn (Mexican style, perhaps heirloom variety). This was my first time trying pozole, and I liked the corn a lot.

The guys at the booth were friendly, and I would be interested in trying more of their food next time I go to Berkeley.

jegraef
jegraef

Blecch

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

Way overpriced for a whole lot of uninteresting.Nice people, though.

Pros: healthy, friendly folk
Cons: over-priced, uninteresting menu, not so tasty
soma
soma

decent mexican vegan food

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

decent and relatively cheap mexican vegan food in an accessible place. best taquitos anywhere. most food is mild but good enough for repeat visits when in the area

Pros: location & cute appearance, taquitos & salsa, parking
Cons: mild
vegan_geek
vegan_geek

Decent food. Not many options

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

Just to be fair, my wife is Nicaragua and has made vegan beans, rice, plantains, etc for the past 19 years.

The place is tiny and does not look very clean.

There are 3 (tacos, taquitos and tamales)items on the menu as far as I could tell. They call it a plate if they add rice and beans. I got the tacos and they are served on fresh tortillas. It was good, but not great. I also tried the orchata and it was very good. Always wanted to drink orchata but this is the first time I found a vegan version.

Food was good, but I'm not sure I'll go back. Maybe if I could not get similar food at home I would have liked it better.

Pros: good food, vegan orchata, inexpensive
Cons: not very clean, not many options
nonyabusnus
nonyabusnus

$26 try most items (only go once)

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

Menu: $2 ea toquitos; $3 ea taco; $4 tamale (banana leaf or corn husk); $5 pozole (most filling); they didn't have enchiladas or chalupas; $9 choice of main + beans, rice, & salad (not worth it really @all).

Toquitos were crispy & a bit small, $2 each, fake meat & fried corn
Tacos had great chunks of fake meat w/ mole sauce, no veggies or lettice& only 1 tortilla per taco
Tamale (banana leaf) was awesome, fake meat & soft outside
Pozole was the most filling & tangy spicy (best single item to buy if ur only getting 1 item)
The combo w/ rice, beans& ssalad wasn't worth $9 & added up quick
Overall, price added up, great food nothing green
Avocado salsa was great, hot is quite hot
Don't reccomend eating inside, very much tons of fake meat
What I'm looking for is amazing food that happens to be vegan
I might think I wouldn't go back but probably will have a flacos craving someday
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 18, 2010
Updated from previous review on Friday November 19, 2010

Pros: taste, ready in 5 mins, salsa
Cons: price, no veggies, combo plate
StretchyPaws
StretchyPaws

It's Tasty Time at Flacos

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

I really enjoy their food. I tried the pozole soup and liked it! It was just what I expected. This is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy some tasty mexican food OR you can easily get it to go.

Pros: great taste, healthy chioces, good portions
Cons: limited menu
Mimi710
Mimi710

Yay for Flacos!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2010

I've loved Flacos since the first time I discoved them at the SF Veg Fest in 2008. I am always excited when I am at an event with a Flacos stand at it. Now they have a restaurant and you can eat there Tuesday - Saturday from 12 - 9 pm. Nom nom nom!

I think that the taquitos are their best item, I wouldn't recommend the pozole, but everything else is great including the horchata and the strawberry water that they sometimes have as a drink. I think that the prices are reasonable given the quality of the food. One word of warning - they aren't kidding when they ask you if you want hot or mild - the hot salsa is hot. I usually like hot things but I have a hard time handling it.

Head on over to Flacos if you haven't yet sampled this bit of East Bay vegan food. The restaurant is small so it's probably not good for groups, but you could always get your food to go and eat it somewhere else.

Yay for Flacos!

Pros: vegan mexican food, reasonably priced
Cons: not open 7 days a week
buddhaphilwisdom
buddhaphilwisdom

Best in the Bay

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2010

Flacos is the best vegan place in the bay! Not only are their dishes amazing, their service is great. I've been to many vegan restaurants throughout SF and Berkeley, on many occasions, never do they remember my face. But flacos always has the best people working, who really appreciate your business.
I love this place. The food and the people!

Pros: tremendous food, great people, close to home
Ragarr
Ragarr

Treat for vegetarians tired of fretting on lard

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

It's a treat to be able to eat Mexican foot without having to worry about lard or cheese. This is an entirely vegan restaurant specializing in vegan treatments of classic Mexican dishes. The soy taquitos and TVP tamales are wonderful. The almond-based mole sauce is inspired. Where else are you going to find Mexican soups that are vegan? Prices are inexpensive and the setting is intimate and up beat. Since it's at the Ashby Bart stop, public transit and parking is readily available.

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff
Cons: limited seating

Dear Owner and Manager of Flacos: