Five Star J Restaurant

Small restaurant serving healthy food. Has menu with food photos and also sells some food products for takeaway. Uses dairy cheese for pizza and eggs in some breakfast dishes. More than half of menu is vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Western, Italian, Beer/Wine, Delivery
313/37 Moo 10, South Pattaya Road (3rd road corner)
Pattaya, Thailand

Helen 7
Helen 7

Sevin you are underwhelmed

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2015

I visit this restaurant since more then 20 years. In the past, because it was the only one I could reach easily from my house, since the new owner is there because I love it. The place became so nice and clean, no plastic on the tables but cotton tableware. The cutlery is no longer brought with dirty hands, it's wrapped in tissues.
The quality of the food can't be topped and the prizes were increased very slightly. The portions have not become smaller.
They banned the usual white sugar and use not extra sweets, MSG and other poisons are banned, too. The oils are very light, sunflower and coconut oil ist mostly used. Palm oil the don't have.

I have been in the restaurant when this bad guy showed up. He was complaining already before he has seen the food.
He became very unfriendly and I could hear him shout that he will write a very bad review. At this time I didnt know what that is, now I know that he tries everything to defame the owner and the restaurant.
As I wish very much that this phantastic restaurant exists long time so I can eat there, I post this review. [edit by staff - see tos]

Pros: Good atmosphere, everything clean, Light and very tasty food, Ongoing new dishes, over 100
Cons: None , None, None
  • Thonglor Sadiang Thonglor Sadiang

Thank you very much, dear Helen, for this comment. It´s good to see, that in this mostly rather poor emotional times there is somebody with courage and sense of justice. We will be glad to see you soon

• Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly

I have had nothing but great experiences in this fine restaurant.

Great food, great prices, great service.

Thank you for providing such a wonderful place to dine!!

Sevin
Sevin

Underwhelmed

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2015

MY LAST REVIEW WAS UNFAIRLY AND INAPPROPRIATELY REMOVED! IT WAS HONEST AND ACCURATE. LET'S BE FAIR AND INCLUSIVE TO ALL MEMBERS, NOT JUST THE OWNERS WHO CAN'T HANDLE TRUE AND ACCURATE CRITICISM.

Having dined here hundreds of times over the past 8+ years, since the change in ownership I've been unimpressed. The food is the same...very good...but the prices have skyrocketed while the portions are noticeably smaller and the customer service severely diminished.

Pros: Clean, Good food
Cons: Small portions, Prohibitively expensive, New owner
  • Sevin Sevin

This is strictly business, not personal. However, I must make one thing perfectly clear,as you keep wrongly stating that we did not pay that day. Although our food was offered gratis, we did NOT accept this offer. As we departed, we left nearly 600 baht on the table...more than covering our bill AND a tip of approximately 10%. The farang owner followed us outside and tried to return the money. We politely refused and said that if he didn't want the money, then he should give it to the staff. With that, we left and he kept the money.

This is EXACTLY what transpired and anyone who says differently is being dishonest.

Hi Sevin,
    Thank you for your review. Sorry for the harsh first response which I'm revising now.

We are so glad to see that you still enjoy our food! We find it very encouraging that you and and our other reviewers and customers seem to all agree on our excellent food quality. Being that you ate at the restaurant when it was under different ownership hundreds of times and think our food quality is still as good means a lot to us.

In order to keep our food ingredients and quality at our high standards, we have had no choice but to raise our prices slightly due to international food price increases. We feel our prices are still very reasonable for the top quality food that we offer.

We also put great pride into keeping our restaurant very clean as you mention.

We are always working to improve our customer service. If there is a specific issue that you have with our servers or staff, please feel free to let us know directly, and we will do anything we can to accommodate your needs. We only accept money from fully satisfied customers, and we decided not to charge you for your meal because you had some issue with the value that we offer. We will continue to strive to do our very best with all of our customers by providing high quality food at reasonable prices with unparalleled service."

To make the case clear for you. We do not have a farang owner, it´s me who owns and runs this restaurant and the money you left behind was given to the temple, as we really don´t accept money from dissatisfied guests.

Sisarqua
Sisarqua

Wonderful!

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2015

Big menu with lots of great tasty food, nice clean and comfortable restaurant, good and friendly service, excellent english, yummie fresh fruitshakes. As perfect as it can be.

athlete
athlete

Five Star J - every other day!

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2015

I eat here several times a week, and sometimes order home delivery at their website. The food is high quality and delicious. I love so many of their dishes with pumpkin, kale, mushrooms, and other wholesome ingredients. Very satisfying!

Pros: nutritious, tasty food, over 100 dishes, friendly staff
  • Thonglor Sadiang Thonglor Sadiang

Thank you very much for this nice review.

petervegsearch
petervegsearch

I was dining excellent, not getting fed !!!

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2015

Entering this place I was impressed. Everything clean, two tablecloths, one cream, one red, cutlery wrapped in tissues and a huge menu (over one hundred). Beside Thai you find excellent international dishes such as pizza, risotto, pasta, Swiss roesti, fried potatos and pancakes and, and. Every menu is in Thai and English, with real photos and well described. As vegan I only had to look for the J in the menu-list.
With the menu came free, very good tasting drinking water and my glass never was empty. The owner, a friendly and competent Thailady came to explain the menu. They banned all white sugar and use the brown one very careful, use different oils like coconut for deep-frying because soy oil cannot be heated enough. She also explained the dishes, told me about crab meat made of konjac roots, grilled shiitake mushrooms that taste a little bit like lamb steaks and a new drinking water machine. They serve food for non-Thais usually moderate spicy because everything is daily-fresh. I could not really believe, it sounded too good.
I ordered the fried rice with pineapple (THB 99), the Mama Thai noodles with duck (THB 149) and the spinach Pizza with shiitake mushrooms (THB 299). The very friendly service lady asked me, how spicy I can eat. They categorize from one to five chillies.
Two minutes later the attractive Thai owner asked me, whether I really can eat all that, but if not, they would pack in for take away. We decided to do like that.
However more than ten guests were in the restaurant, my first dish was served after 12 minutes. Thinking about the rubber soles I first tried the topping –Wow-, what was that. Tasty, a little bit sweet. Ning, the owner explained me, this are miitake mushrooms. What a difference. The pineapple cut very small, the rice tasty and no oil to be seen. And the portion overfilled a fresh, half pineapple. Meanwhile the Mama Thai noodles arrived. Just one word: d e l i c o u s. The fake-duck like a real one. A little spicy, just like I ordered.
And they seem to know their food, the pizza I had to take home. But I tried one piece in the restaurant, crispy base (they asked me before how I want it) and tasty topping. The shiitakes are sensationell.
Consumption: Worth every baht.
If you like to dine, not to be fed for s

Pros: Priceworthy, Top Quality, Friendly and competent staff
Cons: Should have more seats, Close already at 09 PM
mambous
mambous

Great food. New ownership as of July 2014

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2015

I've been going to this restaurant for over 5 years and they have always maintained a great taste and variety in their food.
Now under new ownership many things have changed and have added many new dishes.
The place has been renovated and looks a lot cleaner and nicer, including a new toilet which is much better.
The prices have increased, and the portions have significantly decreased to much smaller portions. Prices are a bit high for Pattaya, but quality is very good.
Another good thing is that they have eliminated most of the sugar and oil, which Thai cooking tends to use lots of.

Pros: food very yummy, excellent location which is easy to find, Less sugar and less oil
Cons: smaller potions, higher prices
Foodhunter
Foodhunter

The name is true

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2014

Even it is only a small restaurant, max. 30 seats, it really should have five stars.
The outfit is European style, extremely clean, even the toilets. They take very good care of the customers, fulfill every special wish, free, very good drinking water, refilled already when the glas isn't empty only half.
The variety of the dishes is impressive, more then one hundred of them, everyone made fresh (must be, because the can take out or put in ingredients according to the wishes), categorised the spicy in chillies from one to five, and they even ask for it when taking the orders.
Every dish has its own taste. I've eaten there four times and was very sad because I had to leave pattaya. It will be my first way I have to go, when I come back.
One of my favourites is the happy cow birthday pizza, spinach with shiitake mushrooms, another the massamna curry with shiitakes, the tomato salad with balsamic, the seaweed salad, and... and...
A glas of drinkable red wine and a extrordinary espresso are served, too.
The owner Mrs. Ning takes good care of the customers, explains everything and really lives this job, Seems for her its a,profession. The whole staff is very friendly, even the kitchen master lek comes out to take special wishes. I felt really at home from the first visit on.
I never heard before: if you don't like, you dont have to pay. I think they now why they can do that, I was told up to now they didn't have a customer who didn't like to pay.

I can recommend this restaurant to every vegetarian, vegan and all other persons who like five star quality.

Pros: Vegetarian, vegan, raw food, Unusual clean and friendly, Big selection, fulfill special wishes
Cons: Should be bigger, close already at 09:00 p.m
venuslynn
venuslynn

YUMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2014

I was so impressed with this restaurant, they say they are vegetarian, but little do they know that half there menu is Vegan !!!!!!!! I am a Vegan Chef and normally never eat out, because of my husband's and my high standards, but we had just arrived in Pattaya from a 14 hour train ride from Chiang Mia and decided to eat here. I have been in Pattaya 5 days and have gone there for every meal! I want to take them all back to United States with me. The food is well made, and differently made with love. Even after eating a nice size meal, I WANT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really impressed !!!! This restaurant is not only for Vegetarians, Vegans , but for anyone and everyone, stop in and you will see what Impressed me. 5 Stars!!! And that is coming from a Picky and Honest food critic!!!!! They have affected my taste buds deeply and left a lifetime impression. Thank you Five Star J, Venus Crowningshield
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 20, 2014

Pros: Vegan, Vegetarian, for everyone!!!!!!, Taste/ Presentation/ friendly atmosphere, Great Price, lasting impression !!!!!
Cons: No Cons!!!!!!!
Guest

Five Star J - five times a week!

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2014

I eat here about five times a week because the food is so tasty, nutritious, high quality and lots of variety.

Pros: nutritious food, 100 dishes, friendly staff
Grahame
Grahame

Fantastic restaurant that lives up to its name

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2014

I visited this restaurant twice in the week I was in Pattaya back in October. Both occasions were an absolute pleasure. The food was delicious and imaginative. The menu was extensive and varied and the owner and his wife were very welcoming. I enjoyed a coffee from the owner's espresso machine, which I recommend and a chat following the meal. I intend to return one day and really hope they maintain this high standard. It would be nice to think they could expand to other cities in Thailand or even come to London! Here's hoping.

Pros: Delicious food, Variety, Atmosphere of restaurant
Cons: May be hard to get in if busy.
IMOL
IMOL

10 Star RAting

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2014

I have ate and traveled many places in my life. This one atands out about all if them. It going beyond the food, it's an experience the service is top notch, the chef was the every day. She has 40
Years of experience. All the food is fresh and prepared perfect. They have a 1-5 rating on how spicy you prefer your dish. I like it hot and 3 was as high is I could go. If you travel to pattaya do yourself a BIG favor. Eat at this spot. 0h, I almost forgot.There take out service and web site is amazing. Will be back in 24 days. Stacey C

Pros: Fresh, Clean, Friendly servixe
Kelly Kelly
Kelly Kelly

WOW! Totally impressed.

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2014

Had a fairly long walk to get to Five Star J's from my location but it was worth every step of the way!!

Greeted with big smiles as I stepped into a super clean, bright environment. An oasis in the array of often iffy looking restaurants where cleanliness is not high on their list.

The menu is so extensive, it will take many, many visits to get to the items that caught my eye.

For my first visit I went for the veggie tempura, the yellow tofu curry, a side of brown rice and to wash it all down I had a real fruit shake.

Here is an example of how graciously they go the extra mile for their customers. They have about 15 different fruit shakes. I saw both Pineapple and Coconut on the list. I asked if they would mix them in one shake. A big yes with zero hesitation.

In my 44 years as a vegetarian I have been to many veggie restaurants. This one slips in near the top of my list immediately.

The flavors were superb. Everything was so fresh. My body was singing. Every single bite and sip was a delight.

I waddled out totally stuffed and all that for 289 baht.

Oh > and the owner made a point of coming over and visiting with me, with genuine interest.

I highly recommend Five Star J's with zero reservations.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent friendly staff, Great value
mortem1
mortem1

Delicious food and friendly stuff

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

Very nice place with delicious food. The staff is very friendly. The waiter treats cold water and follows its presence in the glass and regularly adds it. Very pleased that menu with pictures and English. Prices and portions are reasonable. A reminder that the food is very tasty! There is free wifi. I really liked this place.

Pros: Many vegan dishes, Friendly stuff, Free wifi
DaveBrown
DaveBrown

5 star j new management and chef cleaner better..

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

I been eating here for more than 10 years , mainly because of the shortage of vegetarian restaurants , this place recently taken over , and everything has improved the food is better tastier and better presented . the new chef a older thai lady is superb, and speaks very good english, toilets upgraded very clean , tables and decor fresh and new...the food excellent thai style dishes , my recommendations Panang Gi , yum.... fried and steamed spring rolls , a must try ...
just to many good items to mention..
well done to new owners..... better than ever

Pros: great woman chef, fantastic tasty menu none, easy location
Cons: none, none, none
mrrfrost
mrrfrost

Excellent Veggie In Pattaya

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2014

Easy to find in south Pattaya road with a big vegetarian sign outside.

The restaurant is simple and has a huge menu in Thai and English mostly with photos to accompany the description.

Lots of mock meat dishes. We ordered 3: chicken sausage which was very tasty, a delicious sweet chicken curry and cashews (kai pad med ma mung nam prig pao) and a crispy duck dish.

Along with 2 portions of rice and a hot ginger tea the total bill was only 300 Baht. Bargain!

Pros: Menu, Taste, Speed
reissausta ja ruokaa
reissausta ja ruokaa

Great restaurant with a wide menu

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2013

Amazing restaurant with a wide menu. It was possible to get vegetarian versions of those thai foods that you couldn´t have otherwise.

There were several fried mock meat portions, several noodle soups, curries, salads, fried vegetables etc.

I had a noodle soup with three different kinds of mock meats, and fried mock duck. Both were excellent.

I visited on December 2013.

Pros: wide menu, good location, easy to find, great food
earthville
earthville

One of the best dinner choices in Pattaya

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

I visited Five Star J several times during my short stay in Jomtien, in part because they're one of the few veg*n restaurants in the area that's open for dinner, and also because the large and diverse menu offers many possibilities.

Unfortunately, the three most appealing appetizers on the menu were never available during my visits, but there was still plenty to enjoy.

I particularly liked the curries (all of them), which were authentic Thai and very flavorful.

Prices are reasonable and service was friendly and reasonably efficient considering the family-style vibe.

The shelves are adorned with images and statues representing multiple faiths (i counted at least three), and such displays of open-mindedness are heartening and speak to the good-naturedness of the proprietors.

Pros: Large, diverse, mostly vegan menu, reasonable prices, open for dinner
Cons: WC had no water on my visit
Zambezikid
Zambezikid

Best restaurant in Thailand

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

Superb restaurant.

Has a wide ranging menu, enough to keep you going back for a week or two. Lots of different types of curries, stir-frys, soups, salads, appetizers, a few Western meals and a few desserts; though I wish they would add some more variety cos I been going there regularly for several years now. :)

They use a lot of different types of vegetarian meats - duck, squid, pork, fish balls, sausage, catfish. The quality of the preparation is excellent - always authentic tasting. Nice staff and service too. And price is fine.

To look for a downside - maybe they could use more fresh fruit on the menu. And, I know it's against their religion to use garlic and onion, but these are 2 of my favourite foods. I wish they would have a few dishes with them included.

Pros: Excellent choices, Excellent taste, Good value
Cons: Lack of fruit, Lack of onion and garlic, Closes early without noticeon occassion
DarrickCook
DarrickCook

inviting atmosphere with delicious thai food

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

love the little boy running around playing as im am eating some Pad Thai and Som Tum....the best ive had in Pattaya...great menu with photos, and many regular farang customers to connect with...

Pros: many options vegan
Cons: maybe using MSG
Dubare14
Dubare14

Yummy Veggie Thai Food

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2012

Great little place with friendly staff and delicious Thai food. They have a very large menu to choose from and both my husband and 14 month old were very happy with the food. Able to stack plastic chairs to make a kids highchair seat for our little one. Will be going back while we are in Pattaya. Note: the map directions provided on this site are wrong. The restaurant is located on the corner of South Pattaya Road and 3rd Street.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, large menu selection
Cons: map location wrong, no soap in bathroom
Davemeredith
Davemeredith

Good food

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

Here you get plenty of choice and tasty food.

Pros: Lots of choice, Cheap
Cons: No parking, Pavement outside is quite dangerous
amarcm
amarcm

Never changes

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

I have been visiting this restaurant since 2005, and nothing much has changed in that time. It seems to be a family affair, run and staffed by the same people, the picture menu has not changed, nor has the cosy interior, the food is still of the same standard, and prices have increased only marginally. All of this is for the good, because this is a fabulous little restaurant.

I find that in Pattaya there is not much of a need to seek out vegetarian restaurants given that many of the hotels have veg friendly breakfast and dinner buffets, not to mention the salad bar at the Sizzlers in the malls. I usually walk around town with such a bloated stomach that I don't think about exploring the vegetarian restaurant scene.

So I come to Jeh 5 star, more just to see the same old friendly faces and try my favourite dish, the 'Kaeng Tai Pla Jai' which I would translate into English as 'South Thai firecracker going off in mouth'...pretty spicy south Thai soup and vegatable conooction which I have not seen on too many other restaurant menus. A meal for one comes to about 140 baht.

Pros: Friendly service, picture menu, value for money
OT
OT

Yummy and Fresh

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2011

The food at this restaurant was fresh and yummy - a great menu with pictures and the meals are very reasonably priced. Vegie only restaurants are few in Pattaya and so it was quite refreshing to find a quality place such as Five Star J. Worth visiting again.

Pros: Nice food, Good location, Air conditioned
Cons: No toilet paper
dimitri
dimitri
  • raw

great selection of food

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2010

yes i agree,oasis in a crazy town! since there is not many selection of vegan food its liek oasis and not expensive,food prices are 60-70 baht each dish, enviroment is simple but has aircor so its a plus,lots of vegan food.negetive point is not so much green salads

Pros: prices, food, aircorn
Cons: no much greens, simple place
giorgio
giorgio

good point of reference for vegetarians

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2010

a good restaurant easy to find serving many delicious receipts and quite cheap...in pattaya not so easy to get vegetarian food so this thai restaurant is a good point of reference

5* J place

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

This is a great place with good food, and not only thai style offered. The staff are genuinely friendly, and the place is kept clean. My favorite is the american style vege burger with fries. The only J food place i've eaten while in Pattaya.

Pros: good selection , friendly staff, clean
Cons: none
moo
moo

friendly staff; tasty meals

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2009

Good food, if very simple decor.

Agenda
Agenda

Very good and friendly

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2008

The menu is not very wide, but everything is clean and tasty enough.

Pros: Middle-ranged, Only normal place in Pattaya
Cons: Not big menu, Toilet is disqusting
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

An oasis of sanity in a crazy town

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2007

I worked in Pattaya in 2000 / 2001 & was a very regular visitor to "5-star". The owners / staff were always super-friendly. My son then 3/4 years old adored the place as did my daughter who was then 12/13. Tasty & nutritious food made with very fresh ingredients. Never a disapointing dish! The Thai salads were always my favorite preparations - especially the "Som Tam Jai". The speciality featue is the bathroom - built for contortionists!

Dear Owner and Manager of Five Star J Restaurant: