Finn's Pizza

Serves meat, veg options available. Pies are custom made and can request for one without cheese for vegans. Ask for a clean slicing wheel. Serves organic woodfired pizza and more. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Homer Spit Rd (/on Cannery Rd Boardwalk)
Homer, Alaska 99603
907-235-2878
  • Cash only

First Review by naturefinder
VegSince12
VegSince12

Strict vegetarians BEWARE

2 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2012

I was looking for a vegetarian oasis on the fish heaven of Homer spit. I was told most restaurants would have at least one veg option, but Finn's Pizza used good, fresh ingredients and I'd be able to get something vegetarian for sure. And if I weren't strict, it would have been wonderful--the pizza really did look and smell delicious.

So I was grateful while waiting cause I was getting hungry. When my turn to order came, I confirmed that yes, I could get a slice, but the next pie for slices would take 10 minutes.

I asked if they would be willing to use a clean cutting wheel, and they took a breath and agreed--it was their busy time.

Then I realized that the pizza she was making with meat on half was the one she meant. I asked when she was making one that was all vegetarian, and they informed me that they didn't do that so they would have something for everyone.

Another worker suggested I could get a personal pizza--3 slices for $14. I don't do well with dairy, and I was on a budget, so that didn't make sense for me. Though it turns out that is what I should have done.

Then she suggested the Thai curry soup, so I ordered a bowl. I remembered that sometimes green curry is made with fish. When I asked the woman, now visibly stressed with my questions, said she didn't know, but that she thought it was--it was from the company Thai Kitchen. I was surprised that it wasn't homemade, but thought I remembered that was an ok brand. Normally I wouldn't eat it if I didn't know for sure, but by this time I was really hungry and thought this was my best chance, so I sat to eat my soup. It was $8 (not a shock given it was Alaska) and did not come with any equivalent of bread on the side, so I was still really hungry after.

I brought my bowl back and mentioned the pizza smelled great and too bad I couldn't get any cause I was still really hungry. The pizza making woman offered to make another veg order into a whole pizza. I really appreciated her thinking outside the box and trying. But due to a miscommunication, that didn't get to happen, either.

The real bummer is that I was in a supermarket today and saw Thai Kitchen products. I read the ingredients for the green curry soup and it HAS fish in it. I'd like to tell them, but I can't find an email address for them anywhere.

So if you go to the Homer spit, please tell Finn's their Thai curry soup is NOT vegetarian. If you are strict, get a whole pie. I'm sure they'd make a whole pie without cheese, too.

Pros: fresh ingredients, custom made orders, looks & smells great
Cons: told me soup was veg, but wasn't, no all veg pies available for slices
naturefinder
naturefinder

Yummy Yummy Finn's

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2011

What a lucky find on Homer's not so Vegetarian friendly Spit. Finn's does one thing and they do it really well, PIZZA! We found this place simply by the delicious smell of basil that was wafting out the door. Downstairs they have a small bar with 4 seats that seem to fill quick, probably due to the proximity of that warm brick oven and access to cold draft beers. They sell great pies for both vegetarians and carnivores, but have some really intriguing combinations, for the more adventurous try the Blue Pear Pizza - fresh organic pear, pine nuts and gorgonzola blue cheese. The pies are a bit pricy by Philly or NYC standards but for Alaska not too bad. If you are on a tight budget, no problem they also make most of their specialty pizzas by the slice. If the premium seats downstairs are taken head back out the door and up the steps to the plexiglass room with an amazing view, kept fairly warm as it is open to the downstairs brick oven, when your order is ready it will be brought upstairs to you. Great place, excellent pizza!

Pros: great pizza, woodfired oven, solarium w/ views
Cons: small, alaska prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Finn's Pizza: