Extensive menu features assorted vegetables and mock meats dishes. Daily bargain lunch specials under $6 per entree includes hot tea, rice and soup; brown rice also available. Regular menu prices are cheap to moderate. Large portions. Nicely lit interior plus an outdoor patio with Buddhist books for reading. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out
841 W Las Tunas Dr (Mission Dr, north of 10 Fwy)
San Gabriel, California 91776
626-282-2282

First Review by piscesilver
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Yummy Dim Sum

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

I tried the dim sum today and was impressed. I have heard about veggie dim sum restaurants in San Francisco and drooled about them but now I can come here. I love dim sum before I became a vegetarian and missed having it for years.

I love their taro cakes. It came out warm and with nice gooey filling. Their turnip cake was good. Siu May, Char Siu, Har Kow, all of these were yummy. They also have sweet rice wrapped in lotus leaves.

Wow, service was good also but waitress may not speak English very well. However, there are pictures of the items so you can point and tell her what number you want to order.

I went with friends and ordered 11 dishes. Prices were so reasonable.

I love this place.

Pros: Vegetarian dim sum in SoCal, Reasonable prices, Tasty
Cons: 1 hour from home but not bad,
nickrubes
nickrubes

Dog Friendly, and Very Yummy

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

I stopped here for lunch today while getting my car serviced at the nearby 76 station (at Del Mar). I had my little dog with me and so we walked the 6-7 blocks to Fine Garden.

They have a fully covered outdoor area so they didn't mind that I brought my dog. They were very nice to him and since it was hot out they brought him a bowl of water, and I gave him a little bowl of brown rice. NICE!

I had the Spicy Eggplant and also the Basil "Chicken" Nuggets. Both were quite good.

In the end they brought out TWO fortune cookies, one for me, and one for my dog! I won't feed it to him, but this fortune is his: "It's the crying baby that gets the milk."

Very apropos.

Pros: Delicious, Dog Friendly, Very Reasonable
Cons: No sauce for the "Nuggets"
Chia
Chia

Bargain Find

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Fine Garden review.

Came here once and ordered from the lunch special menu. Each meal at a bargain, very cheap price. For each entree, we had a choice of white rice or bread (extra for brown rice, very yummy), soup, and hot tea.

My husband and I ordered 4 dishes to share, each very flavorful, though a couple entrees were a bit much on the saucy side for our taste (typical of restaurant-style Chinese food).

Like the other veggie restaurants in the San Gabriel Valley and Monterey Park area, the ingredients used are conventional and non-organic.

Pros: fast friendly service, fresh ingredients, large portions
Cons: too much sauce

chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

Excellent, tasty, affordable

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

*update: They now serve dim sum items. Began summer of 2011, separate mini menu available all day. This makes me VERY happy! Thumbs up!*

The first time I went here I went with a carnivore friend who has a secret fondness for veggie fish. We shared one of the casserole 'seafood' bowls and it did not disappoint. I'm always happy when carnivores leave veggie restaurants as full and content as I do!
I have since gone back for other casserole soups. The last visit, I took my mom there and we got sooo many dishes (leftovers for the next few days!) basically trying everything that we wanted to try. The veggie meats were super (try the BBQ pork - sweet and tasty), the vegetables were fresh, and I wanted to add a note about the service; chinese restaurants are notorious for bad service so I usually have little to no expectation for decent waitstaff, but here, I was very pleasantly surprised to have a friendly staff who were likely extra kind to us because they were so amused my mom and I were having the time of our lives.
We went at a less busy hour (late afternoon/early dinner time) and got so much, the waitress was surprised but went along with it and even had her own suggestions. She came out later to tell us they didn't have much of one vegetable but could accomodate and proposed some other veggies. Everything turned out EXCELLENT. And it never hurts to compliment like crazy. :) They ended up letting us a try a special "healing" soup on the house, and they chatted with us about how it's made etc. I have since tried to duplicate that one, granted, it never came out as good as theirs.
For your sweet tooth, I recommend a light dessert of the almond milk covered in flaky pastry (for almond milk fans, nice,thick and warm, the crust is bonus) or the chewy dessert ball/fermented rice soup (trust me, it tastes much better than I'm translating the name to be).
In the end, the price was definitely very reasonable given how much food we ate, the extra soups they gave us, and the personalizing of a couple dishes.
So, go when it's less busy, and be nice, and you'll be treated the same in return :) You might see me there!
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 04, 2010

Pros: delicious, affordable, variety
Cons: small, a little slow
piscesilver
piscesilver

Impressed with the food, not with the service.

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2008

I found this place on accident when I was doing a show in the area. I was with my parents, and they had never eaten at a Chinese vegan place, and they really liked the food. My mom suggested going back. The food was really good, (our favorite was the mock Kung-Pao chicken) the prices very reasonable, but they weren't the best with customer service. Maybe we were there at a busy time (Sunday night). I would only go back if I happen to be in that area again, otherwise, I'd just go to a friendlier place if I feel like having vegan Chinese.

Pros: Great tasting food, outdoor sitting area, large menu
Cons: poor customer service, limited parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Fine Garden: