Serves meat, veg options available. All veg except for fish. Has daily vegan soups, veggie burgers, vegan fish tacos and fajitas. Bring your own alcohol. Kitchen keeps all vegan food items and equipment separate. Has wi-fi access. No smoking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Macrobiotic, Raw, Take-out, Non-veg
2320 W Alabama
Houston, Texas 77098
713-533-0029

Open Mon-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat 11am-9:30pm, Sun 12-5pm.

First Review by vmonk
suebedoo
suebedoo

Nice Lunch

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2014

I had lunch here recently, a veggie pita with French fries. It was tasty enough but small for the price. Also tried the carrot cake for dessert, which was absolutely delicious! Easy to find and easy to park. Friendly service. I'm not sure why I was expecting it to be a full service restaurant, but you order at the counter. Nice to have so many vegan options on one menu.

SkipStein
SkipStein

Delicious Meal

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2014

We had lunch at Field of Greens on August 29th 2013 while passing through Houston. It was highly recommended by an 'almost vegan' friend.

Food was delicious, selection/choices nice. The restaurant is large with lots of seating. WiFi accommodations.

Service was friendly and quick.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Fast Service, Good Selection
Cons: None!
alxsrbraun
alxsrbraun

Almost all vegan w/ healthy delicious food

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

The fact that they are listed as veg-friendly is deceptive, because their new menu is probably 90% vegan. Their menu is listed vegan sandwiches, vegan entrees, vegan salads, and then a small non-vegan section (which has one salmon dish, I think). The food is really good. Obsessed with their tofu fries, their California club sandwich and seaweed club are delicious! Not super unhealthy either! I go a lot! Better than many all-vegan places.

Pros: Great food, TOFU FRIES, Almost all vegan
Cons: Not all vegan

NoisVeg
NoisVeg

FoG!

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2012

I have not been here in a little while, but used to go here all the time! It has great food and much variety. Not one hundred percent vegan though. It is not as good as it used to be though when I first started eating there. The menus has changed somewhat too, and the prices have raised. The setting of the restaurant is laid back and simple.

The stand out meals are: Zucchini & Squash Quesedillas, Wild Field Pockets, Vegan Seaweed Club, Tofu Fries, Vegan Fajitas, Vegan Grilled Vegetable BBQ, Vegan BBQ Sandwich, Vegan Green Bean Hummus Wrap, Vegan Eggplant Parmesan, Vegan Village Burger, Vegan Tempeh BLT Sandwich, Tabouli Avocado Sandwich, Vegan Felafel Burger, Grilled Eggplant Sandwhich, Tofu Quiche Salad, Vegan Burrito and Salad, Portobella Burger, Eden Burger, Chocolate Tofu Pie, Apple Maple Crumble Ice Cream.

I miss their Vegan Nachos, Vegan Fish Taco Platter, and breakfast foods.

Still a very good place to eat out.

Pros: excellent vegan food, great selection, simple
Cons: pricey, offers fish, removed some good foods
shsmile23
shsmile23

My kind of place!

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

I was visiting Houston from northwest Indiana and am very glad I decided to try field of greens..great menu selections with clearly marked vegan options. Had the bbq seitan sandwich w/ side salad and a strawberry blueberry smoothie for dessert..all very good. Next time I visit I'll be back to try more.

Pros: Great vegan choices, Health focused, Outdoor seating
windysgarden
windysgarden

Great Variety of Veg Dishes

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

I have been dining at Field of Green's since they opened. Originally they were a totally vegetarian restaurant with Chef Randy at the helm, who used to be with A Moveable Feast. Currently I believe they are about 80-90% vegetarian with many vegan dishes.

Through the years I have not once been disappointed with my dishes. I have tried most of their dishes and they have a very large variety of veg meats to choose from. I especially like their vegan pork and vegan fish. Their macrobiotic plate is a favorite, which I order regularly. Also, the vegan barbecue is very delicious. Lastly, I love their smoothies.

The vibe has changed from when they first opened. It used to be that they had this wonderfully eccentric waitress who gave the greatest vibe as well as jazz music predominantly being played in the background. It was relaxing and made we want to stay and visit.

Things have changed some but all in all you will not be disappointed. A great spot for fresh vegetarian food.

Pros: Variety, Fresh, Great veg meat selection
Yahcna
Yahcna

QUICK AND CONVENIENT

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

As a veteran diner at Field of Greens, I must say that it's a clean, quiet, and peaceful place to dine in the inner loop area.

I suggest the Gluten free "Vegan Green Pasta", not necessarily because it's gluten free, but because of it's insanely delicious vegan pesto sauce!

If you don't mind soy, the Eden Burger is a delicious option which has a delicious soy protein patty encrusted with a buttery basil crust.(though you have to ask for extra sauces if you want them, they tend to be a little stingy on that).

I hope that this establishment become more conscious of hidden animal products in the hand soap they use in the restroom.

The owner is not the most personable host in the world, but she grows on you eventually.

Overall, I suggest Field of Greens as a clean, convenient veggie friendly dining spot in the inner loop of Houston next to a wonderful organic tea conoisseur cafe called Path of Tea.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 23, 2011

Pros: Convenient location, Path of Tea next door, Clean
Cons: Needs hidden animal product awareness
HerbA.Vore
HerbA.Vore

Good food, decent prices

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

It is great to have another vegan-friendly place of eats.
I had one of their burritos. It was very good, but could use some more creative spices.

Pros: Good food., Nice place., Decent prices
Cons: Nonvegetarian food served, ask to besure, Some food lacks "kick"
AlmondJoy
AlmondJoy

My Favorite Restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2011

This is my favorite Houston restaurant. I eat there frequently and think the food is awesome! I have yet to try a bad meal. Sometimes they experiment with dishes that may require a little tweaking, but it doesn't take long before perfection is reached. The Raw Plate and the Green Bean Wrap are my two favorites.

Pros: delicious food, healthy food, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: location, size, understaffed
Lindsey Hardin
Lindsey Hardin

Healthy, light on salt and seasonings

3 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2011

This place uses high quality ingredients. They are light on salt and seasoning. I personally found it a little boring, but would be great for someone who needs a diet light on salt and spices. Lots to choose from. Tons of REAL vegan options. Very nice people!

Pros: Casual, Clean
Cons: Simple
Cantatrice
Cantatrice

Meh

2 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2011

Upon going here the first time, I was thrilled with the quantity of options and the wonderful Fajitas. Upon going the second time, I was greeted with painfully slow and rude service, sticky tables, and a meal that was so unmemorable that I literally have no Idea what I ordered. Field of Greens is fine if you are close by, but other Houston veggie restaurants [edit by staff] are way better. Also, they spell their sign "Field of Green's", with an apostrophe, which (unless the owner's name is Green) is just wrong.

• gr8d8 gr8d8

Thank you for pointing out the apostrophe. That bugs me, too.

Celtred
Celtred

Delish

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

I have been several times to Field of Greens and have yet to find a dish I didn't like. I am especially fond of their *ham* and often order a dish that lists it as an ingredient. The place is small but comfortable and has plenty to choose from on the menu.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 08, 2010

esestud
esestud

Decent, but I've had better raw meals

3 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

Not to my surprise, everything was really pricey and the portions are not that impressive. Food was still good, but there's also too much soy in everything.

Pros: Variety
Cons: Price, Soy
tanyaviola
tanyaviola

Decent food and decent prices

3 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

The service was quite slow, but I was only there once and there were 5 of us. It didn't look like there were too many people working the kitchen, so it's not their fault. The menu is big and there are lots of vegan options. I had the macrobiotic platter, which was just ok. The little tofu quiche was amazing, but tiny. The vegetables had no flavor, but added salt/pepper. The kale was good. The carrot ginger soup was quite oily. The "fish" tacos my husband had were VERY good and the accidental free hummus they brought out to start was delicious, with the pesto on top! And their chocolate cake (vegan) was really good too. It's not the coziest of settings, but it's clean and bright. I might go back again if I were in the area.

Pros: good prices, pretty good food
Cons: slow service, plain ambience
Delve
Delve

3rd Review - NOT SAFE FOR VEGANS

1 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2009

I'm a strict vegan. That means I really don't eat cheese...or casein..or whey..or eggs..or egg whites..or anything that comes from an animal. I truly don't. I seriously don't. SO when I go to a restaurant that claims to be serving me vegan food..and it turns out they aren't - I get very upset..no make that furious! That's why I won't give a good review for Field of Greens. I have been served/fed cow cheese instead of soy cheese as well as fake meats with whey and egg whites in them. I've also gotten sick after eating there. I will never go back to this place again.

Pros: great for meat eaters
Cons: feed vegans dairy, feed vegans egg laden fake meats, salmon is a meat
  • Amethyst8 Amethyst8

Thank you for posting... they had me fooled, but I will no longer support this business.

pesceveg
pesceveg

great and o.k.

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2009

I have been here at least 10 times in the past years and i will be back. The menu is slightly overwhelming, but only because the options seem endless. Most of the things taste the same, which is monotonous, but it tastes good so thats not bad i suppose. They need more options for children, not all kids will eat what they offer. The wheat meat, soy and seiten are excellent and varied, the condiments they offer are surprising and quality. i can't stand the salads, but thats just me,it would not deter me from going.

Pros: variety, tasty, friendly staff
Guest
Guest

FOG'S DOES NOT SERVE MEAT

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

I read some recent reviews saying that Field of Green's serves meat, but that's not correct. They do serve salmon and tuna, which is not considered meat and the only reason the owner leaves those items on the menu is because it's so popular. Field of Green's is really one of the only healthy vegetarian restaurants in Houston. I do not think Field of Green's gets enough credit. The food is delicious and although the atmosphere may not be that creative, it's nice. A lot of people get upset because they do not serve sodas, but it's for the better. Too many people in Houston consume too much sugar and salt, so I think Field of Green's could help people become healthier.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friend staff
  • Delve Delve

Salmon and Tuna are not vegetables, fruit, grains, and uumm nope they aren't even legumes - so I guess that makes them some sort of moving before dying meat. Oh and if you eat either one..you ain't no vegetarian. I guess you work for or own this restaurant. Field of Green's isn't a fair restaurant to vegans. They serve non-vegan items while claiming they are vegan. I've gotten sick one too many times here. It's a shame.

• NoisVeg NoisVeg

Salmon and tuna are fish, ALL fish is meat. Meat is any and all animal flesh (muscle and fat.), organs, livers, skin, brains, bone marrow, kidneys, lungs, etc that is used as food. Any animal that is killed and their body part is used for food is meat.

TexasVegan
TexasVegan

Not happy

1 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2008

I've eaten here countless times - and though I thought it was kind of expensive for what it is, I always went back. However, I recently talked to a kid who worked there - and he claimed that the item I usually ordered, the eden burger, has egg whites in it. They advertise it as something that can be made vegan, so I request it vegan. The idea that I've been eating eggs unknowingly infuriates me. It's just outright betrayal. In short, I believe the person I talked to and I won't be eating there again.

• rvasquez rvasquez

I order the same thing, and they always make a point of telling me they'll put the vegan chicken on it instead. I do think it was originally vegan, as I remember them posting a note saying that the manufacturer of that particular "chicken" had just changed their formula making it no longer vegan.

• Delve Delve

rvasquez, I had a friend who worked in the kitchen at FOG for a long while. She told me that the "chicken" had actually always had the non-vegan ingredients in it, and that she told the owner they shouldn't be serving it to vegans. To save face they came up with 'the ingredients have changed and are no longer vegan'....now who'd in their straight mind want to go and piss off some vegans?

• gr8d8 gr8d8

Thank you for posting this. This is making my blood boil. I am furious and will be letting my vegan friends and the vegan meet-up group know about this. My family will not be returning to FOGs. Thanks again for posting.

• Fresh73 Fresh73

I like egg whites...

aledogma
aledogma

No bells and whistles, but the food is wonderful

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2008

Has the feel of a college hang out - the walls are painted outlandishly, but there's no decor to tie the crazy paint into a design, so you walk in and go "woah" and marvel at what the hell the owner was thinking.
Good thing the food's great, or else this place would have a real problem on their hands because the ambiance is sorely lacking.
They run the gammut for veg friendly fare; serving fish and chicken as well as vegan meals. Everything from Mexican, Italian, Indian, & Asian food.
It's the kind of place you'd meet an old friend for a meal, where you'd grab a quick bite after a workout, or a quiet place to go to study and refuel.
Not a first date or "dress to impress" joint.

Pros: food, selection, laid back attitude
Cons: decor, parking
vmonk
vmonk

Yummy, healthy, quality food

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2008

It took a while, but we've grown to love this place. The decor is a little sterile, but the food is good and the service is friendly. They can make your order vegan upon request. Our favorites: tabouli avocado sandwich (with almost an entire avocado in it!), macrobiotic platter, village tofu sandwich, & wild salmon sandwich. The soups are always good, the fries are amazing (not greasy at all), and salad with the garlicky dressing is a nice side. They also have good condiments (Bragg's, sriracha, etc.) The vegan chocolate cake is RIDICULOUSLY good - not sickly sweet like some places. Prices are fair considering they use quality ingredients that are almost all organic. We've only been at night, but hope to try their breakfast/brunch one day.

Pros: healthy, quality ingredients, tasty
Cons: no coffee (at least in the evenings), ambiance (strip mall/sterile)

Dear Owner and Manager of Field of Greens: