Fiddleheads Natural Foods...

6,500sq feet cooperative market offering organic and natural foods including organic produce, bulk bins, salad bar, coffee bar, deli, shampoo, soap. Farmer's market on Wednesday and Saturday. more-less

First Review by mark m braunstein
veganmiss
veganmiss

Cute Place

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

Fiddleheads had quite a few vegan products that are hard to come by unless you go to a health food store or order online. They also had local vendors inside selling their own produce or wares. Included were hand knitted items and home made jams. One woman has her own farm and was selling her own vegetables, herbs, and fruits. I bought a bag of homemade dried apple pieces. They dry out the slices on a pole which they rotate over heat for 24 hours. It was possibly the best dried fruit I have ever had. Oh my goodness, it was so sweet! I loved this Co-op!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2009/04/ive-got-that-joy-joy-joy-joy-down-in-my.html

Pros: vegan friendly, local produce
mark m braunstein
mark m braunstein

vegetarians beware!

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2010

I'm a member of both Fiddleheads Food Coop and of Willimantic Food Coop. With its thus far all-volunteer work force, it's a testament to cooperation and idealism that Fiddleheads has come this far, three years and still going! I love and respect and am grateful to all the people who work here, and all the farmers who sell their produce here. BUT, and here's the big BUT, if you are a vegan or vegetarian, I suggest you shop elsewhere. There's more dead animals in its freezers than in any butcher shop, and their bodies are interspersed all over the freezer unit, in between the frozen berries and breads, among the frozen pastries and pastas. Its poor separation of the wheat from the calves can easily be remedied, so let's hope they do so soon.

I wholeheartedly recommend you instead shop at the until very recently all-vegetarian Willimantic Food Coop. I patronize meat-infested Fiddleheads because it's nearby, but still find Willi worth my 26 mile and 35 minute trip. If Willi had remained vegetarian for 30 years, Fiddleheads could have too, but Fiddleheads never even tried. Fiddleheads' website for more than half a year featured at the top of its homepage a photo of several piggies in a dark spooky pen, which I find insulting equally to its vegetarian patrons and to the by now dead and consumed piggies. Among the farmers who sell directly to Fiddleheads, many also sell dead animals. If there's one farmer at a farmers' market who sells live produce and also dead animals, I will buy his produce. But if there's two farmers selling live produce, one who sells also dead animals and one who sells only produce, when given the choice I will patronize solely the one who sells only produce. Thank goodness when we on behalf of better unborn farm animals are given the choice. So given the choice between shopping at Fiddleheads Food Coop and Willimantic Food Coop, my choice is clear.

Pros: the volunteer dedicated staff
Cons: the involuntary dead animals

Dear Owner and Manager of Fiddleheads Natural Foods Cooperative: