Fellinis

A modern 'Vegeterranean' restaurant, featuring seasonal vegetarian food with a Mediterranean slant. Same owners as Zeffirellis. Booking advised. Cinema above restaurant screens arthouse and niche film productions. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, English, Wine
Church Street, Ambleside
Ambleside, England LA22 0BD
015394-33845

Open from 5.30-10pm, closed Mon during the off season.

First Review by upior
compassionatecook
compassionatecook

Many vegan options if you ask what's vegan-izable

4 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2012

Fellinis is a lovely vegetarian restaurant nearby Grasmere and Rydal (where visiting Wordsworth's houses are a MUST!) that has many vegan options and a really lovely ambience. The food was very good, if not a little pricey for the amount that you get. I had a delicious fennel risotto and a delicious seasonal salad. However, and I sometimes find this at vegetarian restaurants, the menu didn't label which dishes could be made vegan. The menu had a couple fully vegan options in the starters section, a couple in the side dishes and a couple perhaps somewhere else, but of the five main dishes, not one was marked as vegan or vegan-izable. After asking the server, I learned that three out of five entrees could indeed be made vegan, but if I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have known that. At the end of the meal, I suggested that the menu key also mark dishes that can be made vegan, because not everybody knows that they can ask for that. They had only one vegan dessert (it was a seasonal crisp when we were there) with sorbet, but it definitely felt like all the attention went to their non-vegan desserts. Overall, it was a good experience, and we were happy to be there and happy to support them.

Pros: many vegan options, lovely ambiance, good food
Cons: food a little pricey, menu didn't label vegan-izable items, minimal attention to vegan desserts
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Not great for vegans

2 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

Just to say, that this one isn't great for vegans. We chose not to eat here because there was only one vegan option on quite a large menu - everything was very cheesy etc vegetarian.

Pros: Vegetarian
Cons: Needs more vegan options
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Bellisimo!

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2012

Fabulous place, a bit more upmarket than Zefferellis (owned by the same people). The cinema and meal deal is fantastic value but do be warned. adding wine can really bump the price up! Had fantastic service the last time we were there and the food was delicious. It's not somewhere to go if you're starving, the portions are on the haute cuisine side but for a special occasion Fellinis is wonderful, highly recommended.

Pros: Gorgeous Food, Meal and film deal, Great Service
Cons: Slightly expensive drinks
upior
upior

With fantasy

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

When we arrived to the restaurant there were no free tables however there is a bar upstairs where we had a drink while waiting.
The food we ordered was very colourful, the vegan options are not marked, I don't think there were too many however they made some adjustments to make the dishes vegan. I had mushrooms for the starter (the sauce had to be different that the one in the menu) dish looked fantastic and it tasted even better (a little too oily thou). For the main course I took staffed cabbage which looked very fresh (vegetables where only steamed) and the taste was fantastic as well.
I would really recommend this restaurant.

Pros: very fresh food, very good service
Cons: starter a little too oily

Dear Owner and Manager of Fellinis: