CLOSED: Fei's Health Cafe

They offer creative tofu and a variety of Chinese dishes. In addition, they have homemade spring rolls, dumplings, steam buns, green onion cake, taikon cake, and so on, that are hard to find. Can accommodate up to 28 people with nice settings. All vegan as of Oct 2013. FEB 2014 REPORTED SHUT BY MULTIPLE SOURCES. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese

First Review by n89978
scottie1134
scottie1134

all vegan now

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had the seitan and jalepeno chicken. The seitan wasn't all that great. The jalepeno chicken was freaking amazing. It was fresh jalepenos, fresh red bell peppers, and a fried veg chicken. It was so good. And cheap. The seitan was only like $2.75 and the chicken dish was $4.95. They really have finally showed that just because its vegan food, it doesn't have to be expensive. I can't wait to go back and take friends there. Just for the jalepeno chicken.

Pros: 100% vegan, cheap great value, pretty good hours
Cons: not much advertising its vegan, not open 24 hours
ranchstone
ranchstone

Splendidly understated and tasty

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

Just had lunch at Fei's. The $4.55 lunch special was tasty and pleasing; the curry stew was "medium hot" which works for me. I was glad to see 8 other customers there today. This place has very good food - it isn't spectacular, but very tasty, well proportioned and visually appealing in the bento lunch boxes.

Perfect place for vegetarians, vegans and those willing to try something different. I am always amused by the buck-tooth bee with one antennae (they have bees, ladybugs and flowers painted on the walls). It is a very modest place, a good place to hang out away from the "frontier meat eating crowd."

Today there was wait staff (usually just Fei) - a very kind and prompt young man. It was about a 15-minute wait for the food to arrive, I wasn't in a hurry. There are two tables out in front-when the weather is nice, a perfect place to sip pearl tea or a smoothie and down some tofu.

And then, I had taro Cake to finish it off. I will definitely eat here again to try out different items.

Pros: Healthy good food, Inexpensive, Friendly
ezflex
ezflex

Great food!

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2011

Fei's has great food although the dining room is nothing to rave about. It's not unkempt but just isn't modern. If you are like me and can look past the decor, you'll love the food! Those nuggets are awesome!

Steve Shoe
Steve Shoe

great little place by UNM

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2011

Right across from UNM and great for poor students with low prices. Not your place to go for ambience but the food is very tasty and the service was good. Run by a mother and daughter team. They take personal pride in their recipes and service.

Pros: tasty food, service
Vegmon
Vegmon

Horrible

2 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

Worse chinese food I've ever had. The waiter was nice but service was crappy. We had spring rolls, I've never had a bad spring roll until today and even their duck sauce is bad. Vegetable nuggets were alright probably the best thing, needed ketchup though. Cold noodles, fish fillets and seasoned sticky rice all bad, probably the worse rice I've ever eaten. At the end of the "meal", not really because most of what I got was literally inedible I ordered a smoothie, it was okay. A little watery but the best thing of the meal. I would never ever recommend this place to anyone and this is the worse money I've ever spent on food I've paid for. On top of everything the food is not healthy at all, its greasy and oily.

Laurie K
Laurie K

Sweet Little Place

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

I love this restaurant. It is not fancy and they do use quite a bit of pre-fab vegetarian "faux meats", which is not so great... but they are nice people, very unassuming, the boba drinks are actually fresh, and the food is very reasonable and generally quick.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy food, Central Ave atmoshere
Cons: sometimes understaffed, Central Ave atmosphere
WorkerBee
WorkerBee

The best in Albuquerque!

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2010

Let's face it...Albuquerque doesn't have world-class vegetarian fare. However, Fei's Cafe, in my opinion, is the best we have to offer. The food is perfectly prepared, healthy, tasty and inexpensive.

The folks who run the place are so freindly and the food so good that I don't understand why every time I go there there are no other customers. They must be doing well enough, though, because they've been in business several years. I've only gone in the early evening and weekends and I understand they do a brisk weekday lunch business.

The lunch and dinner specials are perfectly priced and sized. I eat everything and it leaves me fully satisfied, but not over-stuffed. The vegetables are always perfectly cooked and the veggie nuggest are absolutely scrumptious!

The atmosphere is extremely casual...to the point that I lived here for years before trying it. I assumed it would be awful. I'm so glad a friend convinced me to try it with her. It's not become my local favorite.

Pros: taste, price, healthy
Cons: overly casual, short hours
forestgoblin
forestgoblin

Excellent Food!

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2010

I was very impressed by this restaurant. Our friend had recommended it to us and since we were visiting in NM we thought we would give it a try.

Everything I ordered tasted great. My wife felt the same. I had the stewed tofu skin and my wife had the veggie nuggets. We got the house specials so we could try more things. We also ordered green onion fried bread, bubble teas and sesame balls. The art was really fun on the walls too.

The bathroom was clean but a little dated. They should have decorated its walls the same as the did the rest of the place to make it flow a little better.

Pros: taste, cost, appeal
dayyol
dayyol

Disappointing

2 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2009

My friend and I both ordered a variety plate for dinner. The dumplings were good everything else was very bland or poorly done. The broccoli was like rubber. For some reason simple baked tofu had a fancy name such as 100 layer tofu. The worst part of the evening was the lack of good hygiene in the restaurant-dirt and dust everywhere.

Pros: fast service, good dumplings
Cons: bland food, dirty restaurant, old broccoli
djmichael
djmichael

A Vegan Oasis in the West

3 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2009

I was glad to make it to Fei's Health Café just before she closed (7pm is closing time). It was a Friday night, but the place was empty: Fei explained to me that she does a good lunch business and that a lot of UofNM students leave town on the weekends. Fei's has been in business for about 6 years.

Fei's is entirely vegan, and the prices are very low. For a mere $5.95, I ordered a "House Special" (a combo plate with various options), which included "special seitan," cold sesame noodles, steamed broccoli, pot stickers, a small piece of "veggie ham," and some homemade bread. Though I'm not a fan of fake meats, I enjoyed the veggie ham (made of soy). The seitan was good but too salty. I liked the bread. A $2.00 pot of jasmine tea was excellent.

For dessert, I ordered a purple-colored pastry made with taro. It was quite tasty.

I found Fei to be charming, though I had a bit of trouble communicating with her due to the difference in our native tongues. She is from Taiwan, and she informed me that she orders most of her food from Taiwan. That got me wondering about the quality of the food: Is the soy gmo, for instance? I was very surprised to see packets of Sweet 'n Low on the tables--to me, something totally out of place in a cafe that caters to vegans.

Fei's cafe is small, with about 5 tables and no apparent wait staff (just Fei and a cook).

One final comment: The men's restroom was shockingly dirty--dirtier than some gas station restrooms. It appeared that the sink had not been cleaned/scrubbed for months. It made me wonder about the cleanliness of the kitchen. I looked around the cafe for a health dept. rating notice but did not see one.

Driving across the country from NC to CA for the second time in 3 years has made me appreciate even more the vegetarian food options I enjoy in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of NC, where we have many health food stores and many vegetarian options at local restaurants. Not so in states such as Arkansas and Texas, even in the major cities.

I love what Fei is doing and told her how much I appreciated her offering vegan foods. But the bathroom situation may be enough to keep me from returning.

Pros: totally vegan, low prices, charming owner
Cons: dirty restroom, closes at 7pm
Jeff DIckson
Jeff DIckson

Not Good at all

2 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

Opened 1/2 hour later than they were supposed to, so we had to wait. Ordered the mixed veggies, and they tasted terrible. Sorry for the bad review, but the food wasn't good at all.

XoDamienne
XoDamienne

Fake-Meat Lovers Delight

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2009

After reading all the stellar reviews here, of course I had to try it. Not terribly impressive. If you like fake meats, you might really enjoy it. Fei is very sweet. I wouldn't consider it a meal if I were really hungry. Not being a fan of fake meat, I haven't had a lot of it and it was an interesting experience. The "ham" was so realistic (minus the pink color) that I gave it to my herbivore partner who actually likes that sort of taste.

Pros: Many vegan options, Fast Dining
Cons: Almost entirely fake meats
Ninadenmark
Ninadenmark
  • non-vegetarian

Sooo goood!!! You have to go there

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2009

So I am not from the US (but from Denmark), and I am an exchange student in Albuquerque. Having been here for a few weeks, I realised that I am not that into the general american food... I found this little restaurant when walking along the street and I went in the with a friend. There were no other customers, so were were thinking to ourselves that this place might not be that good. However, we could not have been more wrong! The food was simply amazing, the service was excellent and the price was even better. I cannot recommend this place too much, I really like it a lot and I have now been there a few times this week and the noce lady already recognizes me, haha. Such nice people and so lovely, homemade food, def. cooked from scratch. This will be my favourite place in ABQ, for sure.

Pros: Lovely food, Good service, Very cheap
danzona
danzona

Nice lunch spot

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2008

Stopped here on my way out west. I had a curry bowl that had a great taste and a chewy mock meat for texture. If I lived in Albuquerque I would eat here often.

Pros: Nice variety, Nice price
Retro Housewife
Retro Housewife

Can't beat Fei

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2007

This place is great. The dishes are wonderful and just enough, in my opinion. With the house special you get noodles or rice, choice of entree (love the veggie nuggets)steamed veggies, a slice of veggie ham, wantons and fried bread. All served with dipping sauces in individual compartments in a bento box. The service is great and the people are friendly. My 6-year-old son loves Fei's.

Pros: wonderful food, cheap eats, friendly staff
Cons: limited seating
maynard7
maynard7

A nice choice in Albuquerque

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2007

I ate there twice while on vacation. I recommend the $4.25 lunch special as it comes with several items in a bento box. I tried the 1000 layer tofu and the veggie nuggets and both were good. I thought the portion sizes were a bit small, but I go to the gym and I get hungrier than the average person. Flavors were excellent. Next door to 20 Carrots Vege Restaurant (make sure you go in the correct door!)

Pros: Tasty food, Big menu, Good value lunch special
Cons: Metered parking outside
n89978
n89978

Returning Customer

2 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2006

What a great little cafe. Very vegan friendly. Wonderful variety of dishes. I love the veggie ham on the house special.

Pros: nice staff, excellent food, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Fei's Health Cafe: