Serves meat, veg options available. A family run restaurant in the heart of Galway City’s Latin Quarter. All pizzas are freshly made-in-house to order. Vegan items, including pasta, salads and pizza, are clearly marked on menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Pizza, Italian, Non-veg
10 Quay St
Galway, Ireland
091-567279

First Review by janetp
cowrenn
cowrenn

A few vegan options, no vegan wine

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2014

We went here twice because there aren't many affordable vegan options in Galway. For dinner, we got the large vegan pizza. It was extremely expensive, very small, and rather soggy. It would be better considered as an appetizer if you are splitting between 2. There were a lot of veggies, which I liked, but my partner wanted for more soy cheese. We asked for vegan wine, but the staff said they didn't know if they had any--and none of the wines on the list showed up in our vegan alcohol app. The beer was too overpriced (Over $5 for a Coors?!), so we just got a soda. Would be nice if they had at least one vegan wine on hand. The next day we came back for lunch and got the vegan quesadillas, which were pretty good, nothing remarkable. Much better deal if you eat there for lunch price-wise, though.

Pros: Good location, Vegan options, Friendly staff
Cons: No vegan wines, Over-priced, Food is okay
NickWalker
NickWalker

Good for vegans and vegetarians

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2014

I had a nice meal at Fat Freddy's - the staff was very accommodating to me not wanting dairy and so I ended up having a good Greek salad (minus the cheese) and a good roasted vegetable pizza with vegan cheese. Both dishes were pretty tasty but not incredible (pizza was kind of bland). Still, I was happy for a vegan pizza option! Good place to go if you want 3-4 vegan options (and lots of vegetarian ones).

mina.aphrodosia
mina.aphrodosia

Great comfort food - and wine!

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

We've been to Galway during the arts festival. So the city was very crowded and there were no tables at Fat Freddy's available at first. We left our phone number, and they called back 15 Min later, that they noe had a table for us.
We had starters and the vegan Quesadillas, which were AWESOME, there's no other word for it! The vegan mayo is the best I've ever had. They also have very good wine, just ask the staff. They know their stuff. Prices were reasonable for the big portions.

Pros: Food and wine were excellent, vegetarian/vegan section an the menu
Cons: nothing

JonJon
JonJon

Vegan options on Quay Street

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

I agree completely with janetp review. We had the enchilada and the quesadillas, served with potatos, salad and a good vegan mayo. They were good (we find the quesadillas better than the enchilada-burrito in terms of taste) but not exceptionnal. Which makes them a little bit overpriced.

A friend of us that lives in Galway said that it is possible to veganize a pizza since they have vegan cheese but we did not try it. This could be a good option, so don't hesitate to ask for!

In terms of atmosphere, the restaurant is really nice, lighted by candles. The staff is friendly and the restaurant is located on the more lively street of Galway.

Pros: vegan options with cheese and mayo, nice atmosphere, well located, friendly staff
Cons: a little pricey, limited vegan choice, taste of food is ok but not fantastic
CiKay
CiKay

enjoyable

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2014

Charming staff and great food make this place worth a visit. As common in Ireland, the meals are not exactly cheap, but big and of great quality. I had the vegan enchilada (about 15€), served with salad and baby potatoes. It was delicious and the staff is so sweet and charming that I would return to Fat Freddy's anytime!

Pros: great food, nice staff
janetp
janetp

Two vegan options on the menu (Mexican)

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

I was expecting more vegan options after traveling from Glasgow (a vegan's paradise), but there were only two options on the menu: quesadillas or enchiladas. I ordered the enchiladas but what came out was actually a giant burrito. It was all vegan at least but just not what I was expecting. The atmosphere was pretty lively and it's right in the heart of Galway.

Pros: Central location, Two vegan options
Cons: (Only) two vegan options, Burrito -- not enchiladas, Expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Fat Freddy's: