Serves meat, veg options available. Moved from 13-2 Minami-machi, Higashi Muko in Apr 2014. Same Israeli food menu, in Japanese and English, offering falafel, hummus, and Middle Eastern food. Veg items are marked. Separate smoking/non-smoking areas. Last order 30 minutes before closing. Directions: 80m north of the Eiden line exit of Keihan Demachiyanagi station. Address 京都市, 左京区田中上柳町15-2. Price: Moderate more-less
Israeli, Middle Eastern, Non-veg
Kyoto
Kyoto, Japan 606-8205
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

First Review by Marenka
iwanttofu
iwanttofu

Try not to get lost walking down Hiei-zan...

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2014

...but if you do, come here for tasty big plates of falafel, fluffy pita,creamy hummus, garlicy baba ganoush, ice cream and beer afterward. Staff delightful, food delicious, good atmosphere. Even an interesting toilet. Close to Demachiyanagi station and the best choice in that area now (sadly) Cafe Proverbs has shut. Also has choices for omnivores, mine was delighted by his schnitzi after spending hours searching for nonexistent trails down the holy mountain.

Pros: Delicious food, Something for everyone, Can sit outside
beckettthedog
beckettthedog

Delicious Falafel

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2014

I've been going to Falafel Garden at least once a week for the past month, and I'm never disappointed. Their falafel pita is outstanding, certainly some of the best I've ever had (try it with a side of green chili). They also have take away, including frozen precooked falafel.
Beautiful space and friendly staff. I highly recommend it.
Menu has English translation

Pros: Best falafel ever, easy access, efficient, friendly service
Cons: serves meat
HeatherRoberts
HeatherRoberts

Best Pitas I've Ever Had

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2014

I eat baba ganouj pitas frequently, as they're a commonly vegan item, but I have never encountered baba ganouj so delicious. The inside of the restaurant is beautiful, and it's on such a quiet little street. It was also within walking distance of the guesthouse I was staying at, so I went almost every day I was in Kyoto. I could eat two pitas (baba ganouj, humous and falafel are all vegan), and a soy banana milkshake and then go back to the guest house and sleep like a baby. Love how their vegan options are clearly marked - special thing to find in Japan, where vegetarianism is uncommon. The owner is really nice and friendly, but some of the staff are pretty formal and distant. This is not uncommon for Japanese culture, but it was a stark contrast to the very friendly and open owner.

Pros: Great food, Beautiful atmosphere, Cute, quiet street
Cons: Serve meat, Some staff distant or awkward

Ayane
Ayane

Delicious option to diversify your diet

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

After Falafel Garden changed it's location the place is much roomier. They have normal tables and japanese-style seats. the food is delicious and not too expensive. I wouldn't recommend to take the "Falafel plate" because they served me everything what is also inside a normal falafel, but it's much more expensive. I haven't been there while there where smokers, but I was told when people smoke downstairs, the non-smoking area upstairs will also be smoky.

Pros: Price is reasonable (esp. 2 pita-choice), nice ambience
Cons: serves meat, some dishes are too expensive
Marenka
Marenka

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2011

Nice place and delicious falafels. For a change, it was wonderful to have a protein source in Japan that's not soy. A good-sized lunch meal for a good price (around 1000 yen for a pita falafel and french fries).

Main dishes are clearly marked if they are vegan, and there are many options. Others such as desserts aren't marked, so ask the staff about it. I accidentally ate dairy cream on top of a soy pudding because I didn't realize that everything is not vegan.

Pros: tasty falafels, menu marked for vegan dishes, reasonable price
Cons: serves meat and dairy

Dear Owner and Manager of Falafel Garden: