Photo menu features over 70 dishes which include vegetable dishes, tofu, soups, salads, mock meats, rice, noodle, and bread choices, plus 8 set menus. No MSG or egg. There are dining areas. Downstairs is casual with butterfly decorated light shades, fake floral arrangements, glass gems, baby blue and pink shimmering wall paper. Upstairs is more sophisticated with a Buddhist theme, and customers can enjoy some privacy in lavish booth seating with real flowers, candles, and soft music. A nightly buffet is served on the second floor. Some English spoken. Opened in March 2010. Name in Chinese: 素精灵. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Buffet, Take-out
30 Yonghegong Da Jie, Dongcheng District (next to Yonghegong Lama Temple)
Beijing, China 100007
010-58444596, 58444598

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by shirogoma
TwoDans
TwoDans

A good option close to the Lama temple

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

We stumbled across Fairy Su after visiting the Lama Temple. We were initially drawn in by the idea of a warm soy milk to defrost our bodies from the cold weather but after a friendly welcome from the staff and seeing the extensive menu and realising we had heard about it on Happy Cow, we couldn't help ourselves.

We weren't too hungry so only ordered two dishes; a scrumptiously spicy mock meat and veg hotpot and another dish of greens and mushrooms. While both dishes were a bit oily, the hot pot was definitely the winner; we still salivate thinking about the punchy chilli and pepper flavours. The hot soy milk was a treat and we certainly left the place feeling warm and full.

The service was fast and there was at least one staff member who spoke english. Not the best in town but well worth a visit.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 12, 2014

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 12, 2014

Pros: huge range, friendly staff
Cons: a bit oily
bluepaper
bluepaper

equivalent to a chinese diner

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

The special quality of this restaurant is its typical chinese flair. I mean it's neither upmarked or classy nor western style like.
So to me it felt typical chinese and 'nothing special'. I think this is also how the food tasted like. Compared to "Suhu", "Gingko Tree" or other restaurants the dumplings e.g. don't taste like special treatment, but original (though I really like the Suhu-dumplings).
I cannot recommend the desert. It doesn't seem to be popuar anyway, but my papaya was addled - so rather stick to the common dishes ;-)
A little confusing is its name on the outside (it says 'vegetarian coffee' or something similar to that. 'Fairy Su' is only to find on the menu). But it's quite colourful - easy to find.
This place is perfect for an informal chinese nothing-special meal.
It's good to have a vegegatiran equivalent!

Pros: easy to find
Cons: Papaya was addled, English name only on the menu
soph
soph

Yummy simple food

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

I ate lunch here on a whim. I was walking down the road along Lama Temple, and I saw their big green sign that said "Vegetarian food," so I went in! The staff seemed surprised to see a customer, but once I got the menu, the staff were quite friendly, and they spoke English. When I asked about the pumpkin/taro soup, the waiter warned me that it had milk in it (so I ordered something else instead). One complaint is that they forgot to bring me my bowl of rice.

The green beans and the watermelon juice I ordered were very tasty! It was nice and salty, which is what I was craving.
The interior is not very exciting, but it was nice and quiet, and some locals came in while I was eating. Take the Yonghegong subway station (line 2) and walk towards the Lama Temple. It is on the left side of the street- hard to miss!

Pros: Yummy, big menu, easy to walk to
Cons: forgetful staff

procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Good value - worth a visit

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

We went to Fairy Su on our last day in Beijing, and hardly had any money left. We were able to order a huge bowl of noodle soup, the ma po tofu, and some red rice for very little money. Everything was really tasty! I'd gladly go back and try more dishes. Similar menu to the other nearby Chinese veg restaurants.

Pros: Big menu, Clean and pleasant, Friendly staff
emsoprano
emsoprano

Fave veg food in Beijing

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

I went here three times in one week it was so good. The ma po tofu is the best I've ever had in my life. Wait, maybe everything here is the best I've ever had in my life. The fried buns with the sweet braised pork type dish is killer. SO GREAT. I took carnivorous friends here and they loved it. I didn't order one thing that I didn't like. Some of the staff have no English, but some have quite a bit. One of the waitresses acts like she's from Mars or something, but I thought it was really endearing. I like watching what all the staff eat when it's their break- they sit at the big circular tables and have the most amazing looking feats.

Really easy to get to from the subway. Worth the crowded ride.

Pros: best food ever, space cadet waitress, good location
Cons: a bit pricey, space cadet waitress
ChrisWood
ChrisWood

Great food!

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2011

Had a very pleasant meal at Fairy Su's tonight. Fried "beef" slices in mushroom and tomato sauce with white rice. Incredibly good. Together with an orange juice it came to 69 RMB, more than I'd anticipated, but still a price I was more than happy to pay.

The staff were very pleasant and speak good enough English to manage your order. The menu book is quite thick, so you may need some time to "browse".

Really, really easy to find. It's inbetween Beixinqiao and Yonghegong (Lama Temple) stations on line 5 of the subway. Use either of the two stations, heading North from Beixinqiao or South from Yongehong.

More of a cafe environment than restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Speak English
AmandaUCSC
AmandaUCSC

Easy to find, cheap, fresh ingredients

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2010

The title sums it up: this place is simple, uses fresh ingredients, and had set menus that make it cheap (< 25 kuai for a full meal). It's extremely easy to find, right near the Lama temple, you can't miss the lit-up sign that says "Fairy Su". The service is friendly and everything is REALLY clean. I speak Chinese, but they speak English very well -- menu in English with good translations, too.

My one and only complaint is that I haven't been completed WOW'ed by any of their dishes yet. The eggplant was served cold (?!) and the mushroom dishes are fresh but lacking flavor. On the other hand, I guess I should be glad since that probably means no MSG or extra s**t added. :)

Pros: cheap and clean, easy to find, fresh ingredients
Cons: lacks some flavor
mrrfrost
mrrfrost

Convenient next to Lama Temple

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2010

Just a couple of doors along from YongHeGong is Fair Su. The downstairs decor was simple. A reasonable menu and I had a lunch set of chicken, rice, soup, green bean and some other veg which cost just 23 Yuan. There was about 10 choices of lunch sets.

Food was pretty good. The apple juice I ordered wasn't so great and the soup was non-descript but the rest of it was tasty.

Good service and they have an English menu and staffcan speak English as it's in a major tourist spot.

Pros: Lunch set, English menu
Ashni
Ashni

good location, picture menu

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2010

We went here for a weekday lunch and found it a nice, friendly place.

It is really easy to find, only a few minutes walk from Yonghegong - Lama temple metro station (50 metres south on the main road past the temple) and it is on the main road.

It was 37 yuan for a vegetable dish with a chinese vegetable which I still don't know the name of and wood ears with rice. It was meant to be vegetarian tripe but we still enjoyed it although found the sauce a bit too sweet and sticky.

There are plenty of other dishes on the menu which looked good.

jackie2
jackie2

Very Friendly and Helpful!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

I went to Fairy Su in a group of 4 and we were just about the only customers on the main level. The upper level is reserved for members, but we still received excellent service. A nice woman who spoke English went over almost every menu item with us and even gave us some recommendations.

The food was great! I was with 3 omnivores, and they even enjoyed themselves. The bill was very reasonable.

The atmosphere was somewhat bare, considering the lack of customers and the decor is not sophisticated. Luckily it wasn't as "girly" as I was expecting though!

Pros: Friendly, Variety of Food, Price
Cons: Empty Restaurant
shirogoma
shirogoma

Very impressed- staff understand customer service!

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2010

I was very excited to find this restaurant!!

The location is great (right next to Lama Temple), there is a great variety of delicious food, and the staff are very friendly...I've been there 3 times already (it has only been open for a week!) and the staff already know me by name. : )

This is the first reasonably low priced restaurant that I have been to in China where the owners and staff really seem to embrace the concept of 'customer service'.

I felt very welcome and could sense the managers really care about this restaurant.
One staff member told me, 'The customer comes through the door happy, and it is our duty and wish for them to leave even happier'.

The upper level dining area is a must see! Call in to make a reservation if you plan on dining there (upper level only).

Set menus are cheap (21 ~26RMB), very satisfying and great for a quick meal.

Highly recommended!

Pros: NO MSG, NO EGGS., NO SMOKING, GREAT EXPERIENCE
Cons: 2 dishes on the menu include milk.

Dear Owner and Manager of Fairy Su: