Evolution Fast Food

Healthier, 100% vegan fast food with dine-in, drive-thru, and takeaway. Features rawcos (raw tacos), raw stuffed veggies, sandwiches, soup du jour, selection of veggie burgers, salads, bowls, plus fresh organic juices, signature smoothies and shakes, European-stye desserts, and vegan soft serve ice cream. Most food is in-house-made from scratch even the ketchup and ranch dressing. Gluten-free options. Brunch is offered weekends 11am-2pm. Uses biodegradable packaging. Opened Nov 2009 and was formerly Nature's Express, similar menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Organic, Fast food, Raw, Bakery, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by divine_health
Citrine
Citrine

Great Idea!

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

I have always wanted a drive through healthy veggie spot to stop at on a road trip! Evolution has a great set-up. Raw Tacos were awesome, the himalayan smoothie was VERY tastey. This place is also affordable and quick!

Pros: Affordable, healthy, good intentions
Cons: none
claya
claya

oh my vegan!!

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

This place is so cool! Why? DRIVE THROUGH!!! When you travel with two kids things like these just make your day better....enough of that! Let's talk FOOD! I give this place 5 starts, so far it has become my favorite place to eat. Burgers are so big, delicious and juicy! I've had the buffalo chicken and the bacon cheese burger also the kale salad is to die for (and I'm not a big fan of kale). Whatever you do you MUST try that vanilla shake!
The place is big, it has parking space and an outside patio to eat at. Customer service has been great so far, I'm glad I found this place.

blackcat182
blackcat182

Great food

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2014

My husband and I shared a bacon cheeseburger and some buffalo chick'n tenders, both were really nice. In fact my husband said that it was the best burger he ever had! The bacon on the burger was really unusual (in a good way), I think maybe they made it themselves. We also bought a cheesecake and cupcake to take back to our hotel, I wasn't really keen on the cheesecake (my husband enjoyed it) but the cupcake was very tasty. We would have really liked to go back a second time but it was pretty far from our hotel and we were only in San Diego for 2 nights.

Pros: Good value, Excellent food
insan0r
insan0r

Veeery Good Burger

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2013

I had the "south of the border" birger which was very yummy with a side order of fries. Looking forward to going there again.

Yolanda
Yolanda

My vegan family loved eating here

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

Excellent choice and something for everyone. The have raw and healthy foods but we were here for burgers, fries and shakes for our first vegan all American fast food experience. We loved it and can't fault anything we had. We came for dinner and lunch the next day too and tried a range of burgers, shakes etc and liked them all. We all probably preferred their fake meat patty but all their patties were good. It is central and close to the Balboa Park and has some on site parking.

Pros: tasty All American vegan food, nice staff, great soft serve ice cream
Cons: there is only one outlet
HelenK
HelenK

Delicious and fast!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

Just as the name suggests, this is fast food! It was also very delicious and contained many interesting items on the menu. I had the raw burger, an amazing smoothie, and stuffed veggies, which was a very filling and satisfying meal.

This restaurant really has the feel of a fast food restaurant, something I don't find often with vegan places and something I really enjoyed!

Additionally, I came here with my omnivorous parents who also approved of the food. I especially enjoyed my smoothie.

Finally, I have a corn allergy, to which they were very accommodating. The server even grabbed the bag of buns so I could check over some ingredients myself, which I very much appreciated. Gluten-free options are also plentiful.

They also have vegan soft serve and desserts, which I didn't have a chance to try but which looked amazing!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Accommodating of food allergies
juicedoit
juicedoit

• raw

Faboulous

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

We went here after a day at the zoo. I am juicing and needed juice before sitting somewhere with my two meat-eating friends. We found Evolution. I ordered two juices which were good and made fresh. My friends were hungry and ended up ordering the lentil soup, veggie burgers, fries, and chili (all vegan). They were very surprised by how delicious the food was and loved it. So, this restaurant is approved by two true meat eaters for deliciousness. The atmosphere is terrific....really nice seating area. Great menu. I wish they had more juice options, but it worked.

Pros: Great food, Good service
Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

vegan McD's

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

Evolution was a fun experience - drive in with your order announced over loud speaker. We got the chilli cheese fries and the bacon cheeseburger. The fries were good, except for the cheese being unmelted (non-vegan cousin was not impressed). My burger smelled and tasted scarily like McDonald's, but in a good way. Also got a massive almond-based soft serve, so left very full.

Tgaptte
Tgaptte

• fruititarian

awesome raw fast food!

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

I wish we had a place like this in the SF Bay Area!

Pros: all vega fast food, great patio seating
Cons: good food can take a little time :)
EdGauci
EdGauci

Very nice vegan fast food

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

We had burgers, a "South of the Border" and "Mushroom Swiss". Both were really good. We also had fries (also good) and a smoothie. At first sip, I wasn't particularly impressed with the smoothie, but then I tried it again and it tasted much nicer. I'm going to blame my taste buds for that first sip, since it was the same smoothie.

Service was pretty casual. You order, and wait for your name to be called. Patio seating was really nice.

Pros: Good food, Friendly
LieslC
LieslC

Worth the cab fare!

3 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

While at a conference at the convention center I grabbed a cab to go pick up a house made burger fries and some daily greens. The fare was just over $20 but it was totally worth it! I prefer the fries to the sweet potatoes because they are more like chips but everything was yummy. Highly recommended for a burger fix!

Pros: all vegan, fresh juice, great burgers
Cons: sweet potato chips not fries
MilksBad
MilksBad

Great Vegan Fast Food

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

I have only been here once. (I don't live in the area.)

I used the drive though, I am not sure if there is seating inside. I ordered the vegan mushroom Swiss burger, sweet potato fries, tropical sunrise shake, and some cupcakes.

I the burger and fries were great, and a bit messy. Fast food vegan style. I enjoyed the shake. I didn't get the cupcakes I ordered, and forgot to double check my order, so I am not sure how they would have been.

All and all, I would go here again, but would make sure to double check my order.

Pros: Drive-through, Daiya cheese, Fast Food
Cons: Didn't get whole order
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

Good vegan fast food

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

Went to Evolution once while in San Diego, ordered the house bean burger patty but got the Gardein, which I don't particularly like. Also got some sort of carne asada burrito special, which was made with Gardein also and very salty. I kinda think if we would have ordered something different we would have enjoyed it more, and also if we had gotten the bean patty like we ordered. Overall, I'd definitely go back and try something else.

Pros: all vegan, affordable, laid back
Cons: lots of soy, indifferent staff, salty food
Edent
Edent

Cheap And Cheerful

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

The interior and exterior look a bit grotty, but the food was hard to fault. Ranch dressing and zingy cilantro were fabulous. Cookies for dessert were very nice.
Queues can be a bit long.
Salad box was fully packed, but wasn't tossed so was a bit of a challenge to eat.
Worth visiting after the zoo.

Janelle
Janelle

So yummy!

2 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2012

I was in SD for only 2 days and went to Evolution both days. I got the Mushroom Swiss Burger with "bacon" strips added, and my non-vegan friend got the "Bacon" Cheese burger and LOVED it. Said she couldn't tell the difference. The people there were warm (even tho it was raining!), inviting and just really nice. Sara in particular, who made this amazing Pumpkin "ice cream" that she said she made "with love". So cool.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 19, 2010
Went again 11/23/2012, didn't stay, seems a bit grittier than before. Not a comfortable setting at all especially for my disabled Mom. No friendly smiles, no warm welcome....so disappointing we didn't even stay to eat. Maybe under different management?? Just didn't feel right.

Pros: Yummy food
Cons: VERY fast foodish, No comfortable seating
philjdomm
philjdomm

Great Vegan place

4 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2012

Evolution has a drive through but in addition you can order inside at the counter. Very friendly staff and a great selection of all vegan and raw food. My favorite is the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich but their Shakes and Smoothies are very good as well.
Fast service and great deserts to take home or eat there.

Pros: friendly staff, good prices, great food
Chia
Chia

Good house burger, sweet potato fried chips

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2012

I had read about this place on HappyCow and finally had a chance to eat here in November 2012. Here's my Evolution Fast Food review.

The decor and vibe felt very "old school veg" to me. The staff seems like they would be vegetarians and vegans. The space is relaxed and simple, not at all fancy. There are tables for local event and business flyers. In the back is a large, shaded yard with tables for seating.

You order at the counter, your name gets called when food is ready, find a table, then bus your own table when you are finish. All food is served in disposable, compostable ware.

From the menu my friend and I ordered a basic burger and upgraded to the house-made bean patty ($1 extra). The taste is straight-forward veggie burger but more hearty because of the bean patty which was very good. I wish I had added some hot sauce to it to give it a kick.

We also got a side of sweet potato fries which are like chips, served with a house-made ranch dressing, and this was totally delicious and decadent. I would definitely get this again.

My friend also got a berry-flax smoothie and a pumpkin praline pie (both good). And I got their last cup of quinoa-veggie soup of the day (hearty, good taste).

Evolution makes its own pies, baked goods, and desserts as well as the sauces and dressing. There are 2 fridges stocked with prepared goods and sweets for grab n go.

I did see the drive-thru window to one side of the building but didn't have a need for it this time. Next time when I'm in this area, I'll try the other menu items.

When you are in this part of San Diego, eat at Evolution and show your support!

Pros: many choices, good prices, tasty food
vegandoll
vegandoll

I Wasn't Too Impressed

2 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Went here for the first time today, I was excited to go because its vegan and fast food so it sounded like a good idea. I tried the chili cheese fries and I really did not like them, they tasted too much like real chili and had too many beans in it. My friend had the taco roll ups and the tortillas were hard and tough. I tried a vanilla shake and it was not the best. Overall, I would say skip this place. Did not meet expectations.

Cons: not the best food , expensive for such lousy food
Graceunderfire
Graceunderfire

Fast, tasty, and healthy!

4 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

I needed a quick meal before heading to the airport, and this little jewel popped up on Happy Cow as a choice close by. The veggie burger with guac and salsa smelled heavenly and tasted great. I just wish I had found this place earlier in my trip. The food was ready in 5 minutes!

Pros: Fast, Healthy, Good snacks for travel
maulydaft
maulydaft

cute, fun, drive thru

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

A cute little shop that always has a line of cars through the drive thru. I got Buffalo Chickn with ranch dressing. That ranch dressing was to die for. And onion rings. I was happy. There use to be retail vegan onion rings but I discovered they are no longer - what a piss off.
The dessert section wasn't too exciting but I had a mini muffin that was apparently fat free and it was a nice few bites.
They have the chia cherry lime drink that I think is so cool and a good variety of food to grab and go.
I think it was a little bit of a let down (is all their faux meat Gardien?) because I really hyped it up in my mind but it was tasty.

Pros: quick food
Cons: small parking lot
erosa
erosa

My new favorite!

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

The food was phenomenal. I have tasted a lot of good vegetarian food and this is up there with the best. I had the bacon cheeseburger, my sis-in-law had the pesto burger, my brother had the buffalo chicken strips and the kids had the taco roll-ups. Nobody was disappointed. I will definitely be returning. Never tasted a veggie patty quite like that. Very good flavor and they don't skimp on the portions. I can't wait to try something else.

Pros: Fresh food, Delicious, Friendly
MusicalVeggie
MusicalVeggie

So exciting!!

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2012

I was so excited for VEGAN fast food!! I tried many of their items while in town on vacation because I am the only vegan in my family. (they all eat meat) I LOVED the chocolate "milk" shake! The chili cheese fries (while very good) scared me because they resemble meat so much o.o I was disappointed that I forgot to ask for the house made veggie burger because the one I did get was just a weird soy protein thing :P While in town I also tried the raw tacos. Omg they were so goooood! The thing I was most disappointed about was their sweet potato fries. They were just thinly cut soggy chips. Mine were so greasy they literally had pools of oil on them! But all in all I would definitely go back!! Worth a visit definitely :)

Pros: Chocolate "milk" shake , Raw tacos
Cons: Sweet potato fries
CaioLynn
CaioLynn

Would definitely return

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

This is a tiny little restaurant with a hidden garden dining area tucked to the side. I had the BBQ chikn sandwich and my husband had the chili cheese fries and a salad. Everything was terrific and prepared quickly. The homemade ketchup is so good, we almost asked if they sold it so we could take some to go.

Pros: filling food, drive through, impressed a nonvegan
Cons: very hot inside, a little pricey
xandriah
xandriah

A favorite in San Diego

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

I've been to Evolution at least 6 times and their food never fails to impress me. I've ordered the Mushroom Swiss, the South of the Border, the regular Burger, the Bacon Cheeseburger, etc, and all were delicious and large. The housemade patty is fantastic. The service is slow compared to fast food chains but well worth the wait and justified. The prices are reasonable (average 6$ for a burger) and the staff are friendly. I've tried several of the housemade snacks and they are all delicious and filled with whole ingredients. The only thing I would change about this place is the parking, while there is parking down the street the lot next to the restaurant is small and often crammed. If you're hungry and anywhere near balboa park, come to Evolution. It's well worth the trip.

Pros: Quality, Price, Service
Cons: Parking
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Evolution

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2012

It was nice to go to a fast food restaurant that was completely vegan. The bacon cheeseburger was excellent, and south of the border are for those who like a little bit of a kick. There is an outside patio to sit which is cozy.

Cons: Difficult to substitute for other items, Don't expect fast food prices, Somewhat friendly staff
lnmagnee
lnmagnee

Fantastic Fast Food

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

I ordered chili "cheese" fries, bbq "chicken" sandwich, and a chocolate shake. Everything was tasty. Casual atmosphere with outdoor seating.

Pros: all vegan, inexpensive
bhappy
bhappy

• herbivore

Vegan fast food

3 Posted on 02 / 29 / 2012

I recently went there on my attempt to introduce vegan options in my diet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food I must comment on. I tried a wrap. It tasted fresh and somewhat tasty compared to what I'm used to. As I got in my car and headed into my commute home in rush hour traffic, my stomach began to churn. After 20 minutes I seriously reconsidered how I was to begin this conversion process as I had to go to the bathroom FAST with no place in sight for me to run into. I didn't make it :( Needless to say this was one of those episodes most people don't want to brag about. As for me, I might give this place one more try but from now on I will not do so without a restroom close by.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff
cheddargurl
cheddargurl

Evolution Approved.

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2012

My sister suggested going to Evolution as a family, I ordered a cheeseburger and sweet potato fries. The place has a unique and artsy feel. The cashier was very friendly, and the food was Delicious. The ketchup was really good, it didn't taste all sugary and artificial.I've definitively gone back many more times. My whole family loved it. And I even rode the bus with sister just to go.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy cuisine, excellent food
Cons: no delivery
stephiewonder
stephiewonder

Decent fast food

3 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2012

My friend and I hitchhiked to San Diego one weekend, and were completely starving; Evolution seemed like an awesome vegan option, and the price was right. While the service was friendly, the portions of both our meals were small in relation to the price (I chose the "chicken" fingers, which were horribly greasy and in no way filling). We both ended up buying seconds. I got the breakfast burrito stuffed with scrambled tofu/salsa/potatoes/veggies, and this time it was definitely worth the value.

Pros: friendly staff, quick
Cons: hit and miss portions, not easily accessible with bus system
Shesgonevegan
Shesgonevegan

Baja Burger balck bean style

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2012

Ok, I am hooked on their Baja Burger with the black bean patty. I have actually only gotten that one thing everytime I have gone there until recently. With the Baja I buy the Tahini dressing to slather all over it. It is not only delicious but so satisfying and filling. Got to get their sweet potatoe fries too. They make the ketchup there. Anyway, last week there was a special that I can't remember the name. It was a "chicken" patty with a spicy twist. Wow! it was neck and neck with my beloved Baja. Something tells me you can't really go wrong here. I only wish they would open up one in Encinitas. That would ROCK!

Marqu014
Marqu014

100% vegan joint

3 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2011

I liked the seasoning on my fries and the bacon cheeseburger was pretty good. I also had a smoothie and the cost was 19$ I don't complain about quality food Being charged a fair amount but I do expect a much cleaner appearing restaurant, especially. The bathroom. It was funky. I would go back though.

Pros: selection , 100% vegan
Cons: aesthetics
VeganBill
VeganBill

no bike delivery...

3 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2011

Their website reports that they have bike delivery, and I (being a strict vegan who only eats from veg kitchens) planned my trip to San Diego around that. They don't have bike delivery. Being the only veg kitchen around I had no option but to walk 2 miles up there even though I really didn't have the time. Once I got there they totally messed up my order and tried to make it seem like it was my fault. I have to believe that there are some disgruntled workers there because I don't understand how you can mess up something as simple as 2 veggie burgers add avocado and 2 fries, but they did. I only had one order of fries, and I later discovered that only one of the veggie burgers had avocado even though I was charged for it on both. Also, I asked for it to be packaged well for walking and was given a small soggy brown bag loaded down with the food. I travel rather frequently and this was my worst customer service experience at a veg restaurant. When I told the woman (short dark hair, tells awful "jokes") about my missing fries she denied me having ordered 2 orders and told me "I'll have to charge you for those" and that it would take 5 minutes to prepare. I just left without the fries. The food was way overpriced for the size and mediocre at best. Larger vegans will need to spend 15 dollars or more to fill up here.

(I've had to rate this as 2 cows because it won't let me rate it any lower.)

tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

such nice staff.

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2011

two things i got hooked on here... buffalo chicken tenders, and the soft serve. the soft serve portion is very generous... and the tenders... soo good. a great opportunity to get drive through then go picnic up in the park... although the semi-indoor seating area out back is really cute.

20thCenturyGirl
20thCenturyGirl

Delicious!

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

I recommend the Bacon Cheeseburger or the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich! Great food and good service.

Pros: vegan options, raw options, delicious
Cons: sometimes theres a bit of a wait, parking lot is small
halmill
halmill

vegan awesomeness

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2011

great! just the fact that an all vegan drive-thru exists is great but the food is really good too. I had the mushroom swiss burger which came wrapped in a brown, greasy, brown piece of paper and that's it; just like a take-out burger joint should be. They offer three options for type of burger "meat". I chose the Garden one which was touted as the more meatier version and included quinoa and other grains but they feature Amy's vegan patties and an in-house-made bean burger. I was also given a "sample" (almost a full glass full) of a smoothie with chocolate, tahini, banana, and soy milk...which was also awesome. Will go back.

DawnOfTheRent
DawnOfTheRent

Almost Fast Food

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

There food comes quick, but probably 5 times slower than real fast food outlets. I'm ok with that because it's still probably faster than a restaurant and everything I tried was really really good. My favorite was the grilled chicken sandwich (which may just be a special but if you see it, buy it). Also a point to mention is the soft serve ice cream: it's yummy. We were here 4 to 5 times and I never got anything I didn't really enjoy. Another thing to note, the parking spots are small (and we drive a first generation insight).

Pros: Great location (for people in San Diego), Great food, Big enough menu
Cons: No free refillable water?
SiaEra
SiaEra

Excellent Vegan fast food

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

Great Vegan burgers, sandwiches, and sweet potato fries. I love bringing carnivores here to show them how tasty Vegan food can be. I really love buffalo chicken and their sandwich is fantastic, just the right amount of lettuce,tomato and Vegan cheese. Their veggies are always fresh, and the service is always friendly. They have seating in the back, but most of the time I take my food across the street to Balboa Park and eat my sandwich on a blanket in the grass, very peaceful. I love the food, and the location. Also the price is right for me.

Pros: Many options, All vegan, Friendly
friedhippie
friedhippie

Excellent Food and Service!

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

I was in San Diego over the weekend and Happy Cow gave this place great reviews. I have to agree with everyone else. Seating is limited so nab a spot outside as soon as you can. Same with parking. We arrived early (they open at 11am) and were first in line when the doors opened. However a second later there was a line out the door. I guess it's a popular place. I was going to try something off the menu but instead I went with the daily special, A bomb-tastic breakfast burrito filled will soyrizo, scrambled tofu, potatoes, salsa and spinach. It was worth the 5.95 and was massive! My friends tried the burgers and I have to say the BBQ Chick'n Burger was a bit small to me but the Portabella Sandwich was huge and delicious (i got to have a bite!)

In past reviews people were complaining about the service but the girl at the counter was cordial, friendly and very helpful. I tried a milkshake on my way out (first vegan milkshake ever) and it was very good. If you're in San Diego I recommend you try this place it was definitely worth it.

Pros: fast yummy food, good service
Cons: limited seating, limited parking
RichardUK
RichardUK

great concept, great place

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

a burger place with a twist. if you like vegetarian food, this is a great place to stop. it's central in San Diego, the whole menu is vegetarian, service is quick and friendly, very informal, great burgers and other food.

Pros: wide menu, all veggie, fast food
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great burgers!

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2011

I ate at Evolution Fast Food last weekend and was impressed overall. I never know what to expect with vegan fast food places but this one exceeded any expectation I had. I ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger with regular fries - I believe it came with Daiya, Vegenaise, tomato, lettuce, etc. - and my friend ordered the South of the Border Burger with sweet potato fries. We paid at the counter and proceeded to the dining area (it was huge) and found an outdoor patio to sit at - we really enjoyed the patio and appreciated the beautiful flowers surrounding it. I have no complaints about my burger because it was GREAT!!! The patty and toppings went together very well and left me wanting more(but there was no way I could eat another burger). My friend also enjoyed her burger and loved her sweet potato fries, which looked more like chips to me. To top it off, the food was soooo cheap! I definitely recommend EFF for your next vegan fast food fix!

MoFo
MoFo

Nom!

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2011

Although I believe that all 100% vegan restaurants deserve 5 cow heads, I realize that would be impractical with the goal of the rating system. That being said, I am giving Evolution 4 heads because while 2 of the 3 burgers I tried were very good, the pesto burger left much to be desired. And unfortunately, that was the burger I ordered. It was too dry for my taste & I couldn't taste the pesto. My omnivore friends got the bacon cheesebyrger which we all agreed was very tasty & the portabella sandwich which was my favorite of the three- even though I got some delicious drippings on my clothes.

We also tried the tropical sunrise smoothie, which was alright. I didn't really taste all of the ingredients and was hoping the ginger would have more of a pop. We all very much enjoyed their delicious raspberry almond cheesecake. It was a great blend of tartness, a not-too-rich cheezyness and a delicious crunchy/flaky almond crust.

I also really liked the fried slices of sweet potatoes much better than the fry shape I have had at other restaurants, & the accompanying ranch sauce was aMAZing.

Pros: outdoor seating, nice neighborhood, delicious desserts
Cons: service was a little slow/i was hungry!, bland smoothie, dry pesto burger
nspanee
nspanee

A drive-thru?????? We had to see this

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

Coming from a country with just one vegan restaurant(that only since last year) this place was like mc donalds back in the time in childhood where this was the biggest!!! So the excitement made us order the cheeseburger, bacon burger, chickn tenders(normal ones and some with a sauce covering, some chips, strawberry shake, a carrot-apple-Gingerjuice and raspberry cheesecake. I had enough for the whole day but it was just perfect!!!! Delicious fast food with really nice and fast staff!

vegboy2009
vegboy2009

Awesome location and pretty good food!

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

What an amazing find for ComicCon! Pretty decent food, fast service, walking distance (long walk, but still) from the convention center. Highly recommended!

Pros: Great selection, Tasty items., Fast service.
Cons: 0 ambience, Crappy parking
monicalsmith1
monicalsmith1

yummy and close to Balboa

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

Visiting the park. Didn't see many healthy choices for lunch. Found this place. Great food. I got the mushroom Swiss Burger with sweet potato fries. The rest of my family got Bacon cheese burgers and shakes. We all loved this place.

Pros: good variety, great tasting items, good prices
Cons: outside seating or 5 indoor stools
clairems
clairems

all around amazing

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

Cheeseburger (substitute black bean burger) with sweet potato fries. I took it to go and the fries were almost gone before I left the parking lot. This place is magical. Really awesome desserts (mocha cheesecake & pumpkin pecan cheesecake--fooled my dairy-eating family, seriously!) and fresh juice. This place speaks my language.

I've been a vegan for about 6 months and when I first came to Evolution I was astounded that I could order anything off the menu. That has not happened to me since I became a vegetarian almost 9 years ago! Good stuff. The staff is totally spaced out but got my order right even with my modifications, so A+ there.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking for good food, period. Veg or not, this place is worth a try and it definitely surpassed my expectations! TRY THE DESSERTS! ALL OF THEM!

Pros: wide variety of choices, really good desserts, fresh juices
Cons: not much seating space
Gini
Gini

Veg in San Diego

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

We finally found Loving Hut in San Diego and it is closed on Sundays so we decided to hit up Evolution near Balboa Park. It now has a walk up area so you don't have to use the drive thru which I like. It's tiny so if there are a few people sitting at the counter inside be prepared to eat outdoors. The service was ok. The funny thing that happened was I gave the girl my name, Gina, and she came looking for me saying China then Chino. I was like, Gina? Sweet potato fries were kind of cold. Chix fingers were my favorite. They are a must try if you go. Overall, not bad. Being a vegan I'm grateful there is even a place to go where no thinking about ingredients is involved.

Pros: close to park, all vegan
Cons: too small
  • MrsVeganPizza MrsVeganPizza

LOL, I had a good chuckle about them butchering your name because they did the same for me except that unlike my name, your name is easy to pronounce so I have no idea why they butchered it so badly. The thing is I've had my name pronounced every which way, but they somehow came up with a new one I've never heard before! But really that is quite a leap from Gina to Chino! Haha, thanks again for the laugh.

Erinwiko
Erinwiko

Great good, great staff

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2010

We came here at the end of our American adventure, and still weren't quite over the sheer amount of options (as opposed to those in Australia). So a vegan fast food joint was always going to score well.

We tried the bacon cheeseburger and 'south of the border' burger, both of which were delicious- even if I made a bit of a mess with the latter. The shakes we had to go with them weren't the best I've had- too icy for me- but the sweet potato fries and brownies more than made up for that. By far the best brownie I've ever had.

The staff here were also some of the nicest we found anywhere on our trip. We had a nice long chat about where we were from and where we'd been, and they offered us some of the durian they were snacking on out the back. A really great experience all around.

Pros: Delicious burgers, Best brownie, Friendly staff
Cons: Icy shakes
y528s
y528s

Great Tasting Vegan Fast Food

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

This place certainly delivers on it's promise of Vegan Fast Food, their burger menu is complete with bacon cheese burgers, pesto burgers and cheese burgers. The chilli cheese fries were amazing, and they know what they are doing. Their main selling point is their burger menu, and they seemed to have a wide selection of vegan desserts too, as well as some raw platters - so they cater for every niche.

The parking is excellent and it's so close to Balboa park, you can take you food across the street and have a picnic if you like. This place has a vibe that reminds me of Empire Records!

Pros: Great Taste, Free Parking, Beautiful Surroundings
Cons: A little crowded
SDVEG
SDVEG

Loved It!!!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2010

This is my first visit to Evolution Fast Food. I went with my husband and two daughters all of who aren't veg (I'm Vegan). I was very excited because I got to sample everyone else's food. I never get to do that! My oldest daughter and I ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger with the house patty and we both thought it was great. My youngest ordered the Raw Burger. She loved the taste but could only eat half because she thought it was too spicy althought I didn't think so and ate the rest for a snack later on. My husband ordered Mushroom Swiss Burger with the house patty and I have to say that was my favorite of the three. We then shared a Tiramisu Cupcake. It was Delicious! The service was friendly and fast. The only thing I would change is that I would like to be able to order a smaller portion of fries. I will definitely visit again as soon as possible.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Fast
Cons: Too many fries
johnsonfamilyzoo
johnsonfamilyzoo

Yes, it's a VEGAN restaurant!

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

While planning for a trip to San Diego, I was happy to find so many vegetarian friendly restaurants. When I got to Evolution, I noticed the menu indicated it's "100% Vegetarian", so I asked if the food was vegetarian vs. vegan since I thought I'd read somewhere it was a VEGAN restaurant. The guy behind the counter asked, "What's the difference?". I thought he was kidding. He was not- he said he was a meat eater & really didn't know the difference! You would think an employee working at a vegan place, would know what vegan means. I explained, and discovered that is is indeed vegan. Therefore I knew it was safe to order "cheese" on my burger. I was a bit discouraged with the vegetarian vs. vegan incident, but the food was really great! My cheeseburger really hit the spot. The fries were wonderful, the sweet potato chips were OK- many burnt ones. The best though was the peanut butter pie! Yummy!

Pros: food is great, variety of vegan food choices, desserts-need I say more?
Cons: small inside area for ordering, no inside eating, vegan vs. vegetarian
xltpx
xltpx

I love this place!

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2010

I've only been here twice because I live in Redlands and only visit San Diego once a month, but I'm SO glad I found this place!
They have some food (mostly wraps, sandwiches, and some other things), deserts, juices/teas already made in cooler type things in the store, and a variety of options from their menu like burgers, fries, sandwiches/wraps, pizzas, shakes/smoothies, and deserts, as well as a daily special. Everything's vegan, and they have some raw options as well.
Anyway, moving on. The service is fast and friendly, the prices are affordable, the portions are good, the food gets to you fast, and it is SO GOOD!
The first time I went I had a bacon cheeseburger, which was unbelievably good, and strawberry cheesecake for desert - super yummy.
Second time, I had their daily special, a breakfast burrito with tofu, potatoes, guacamole & salsa, which was also delish and amazing chili cheese fries, and raw lemon coconut cheesecake which was seriously mouthwatering good. My friends who've eaten here with me all agree, Evolution has incredible food, at affordable prices. Overall, I can't say enough good things about this place.
Go there!!

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, affordable
Cons: none
niterose
niterose

Wonderful!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2010

One of the challenges of being vegan is finding good food while travelling. If you're in San Diego, look no further than Evolution. I could eat there morning, noon and night and not run out of options! I stopped in tonight for a quick dinner and wasn't disappointed. The staff is friendly and helpful, the selection of both main course and desserts are extensive, and the location is great. The outdoor eating area is a pleasant place to eat. I highly recommend the "bacon cheeseburger" and the sweet potato fries. And don't forget the chocolate shake! I wasn't a huge fan of the cheesecake, but their strawberry mango crisp was excellent. I just wish I had more time to go back and try some other options. And they have a drive through! It's a great idea to be able to get healthy, tasty vegan fast food. And they are affordable. They are a must if you're in the area.

Pros: Selection, Price, Desserts!
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Evolution has gone through a change

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

Evolution no longer has the sit down dining area. They only have the drive-thru and little ordering area. They do have outside seating but it's limited.

silver_smidge
silver_smidge

WOW!!!

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

My husband and I were recently in San Diego. Before we left we researched some vegetarian/vegan places. The food was out of this world. I wish there were places like Evolution in Australia.

I had a 'chicken' sandwich with sweet potato chips. I could have eating 10 more they were so good.

Shop has inside and outside eating areas, could maybe do with a make-over to modernise and make the eating areas more homey/earthy. Was very quiet but they seem to have their regulars who really enjoy the food. Lots to choose from, from self-serve buffet to made to order food. Large variety of healthy drinks.

Would definently go back if it is still there the next time we visit.

Pros: great food, variety
Cons: eating area needs improvements
divine_health
divine_health

Evolution is great

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

Evolution has a buffet inside that has hot and cold foods as well as daily soup selections. They offer pizzas, burgers, fries, chik-n strips and all the typical "bad" for you fried stuff in the drive thru (and inside). They also have smoothies, wraps and all kinds of treats. I've eaten there about 5 times and the food is consistently good. The service is always great. They have a nice outdoor area under the trees. They also have live music on certains nights which can be found on their website or facebook page. I definitely recommend trying this restaurant.

Pros: drive thru vegan!, great food, great service
Cons: buffet is pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Evolution Fast Food: