CLOSED: Everybody's Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. An old Victorian home with inside and outside dining. Large menu features a page of vegetarian and vegan entrees using some soymeats, plus tapas and salads, a page of pastas with veg-friendly toppings and sauces, and a page of pastas with veg-friendly toppings and sauces. Large portions. Sometimes has vegan desserts. Local wines served. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Dena
nicole.wead
nicole.wead

mediocre and long waits

2 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2012

So took a chance, found this place with happy cow. The Victorian style place has charm. But we were the first people there. Over 176 items on the menu. The service extremely slow, sat on the enclosed porch that is cold. Took almost 2 hrs for soups and salad. The food was ok. I wouldn't go back even though they had some unique items on the menu. Not happy with food or time.

Pros: easy to get to, nice place
Cons: food quality, service time too long, wait staff
jlbco
jlbco

An Unlikely Restaurant in Straudsburg

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

We found this place through Happy Cow-- and BOY were we glad we did! Mind you, this is not by any stretch of the imagination a vegetarian restaurant, but they have an almost absurdly extensive menu, with a large and prominent vegitarian section (separate from the pasta dishes, many of which were vegetarian or vegan) with many vegan offerings. We tried two salads (a broccoli & red cabbage with cashews and "honey mustard" dressing, and a warm tofu salad with Asian black beans), both of which were PHENOMINAL. We split an order of spinach-stuffed tofu triangles in a Marsala sauce for our main course, and it was also excellent. The salads were unexpectedly large, and two people splitting one main course after the salads left us no room for any of the yummy-looking vegan deserts, unfortunately. Also unfortunate is the fact that we live more than two hours from Straudsburg, or we'd be back there weekly.

The decor is a bit strange (the interior could use a fresh coat of paint and an upgrade), and the kitchen service is definitely "on the slow side", but the obvious care that went into the food preparation made it well worth the wait.

Lastly: Reasonable prices. Two HUGE salads, one generous-sized main course, fresh (obviously just-made) bread, and two drinks (with refills) came to $45 with tax.

Pros: Great food, good table service, reasonable prices
Cons: Food service slow, Interior a bit shabby
Vyvyan
Vyvyan

Drastic Drop in Quality

2 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2012

I have visited this establishment a few times in the last year or two, and always left happy - service may have been a bit slow, but I tend to be forgiving of that - great food takes time to prepare! I had noticed a rash of negative reviews from the last few months on this site and elsewhere, and ignored them based on my previous good experiences... I should have listened.

Service was inconsistent at best, although I hesitate to blame our waiter - he seemed VERY nervous, and very new. After placing our order (entrees, no appetizers), we waited 45 minutes for a basket of bread. Our meal arrived 15 minutes after the bread. One person in our party did not receive her meal due to "a mixup in the kitchen", and we were told we'd have to wait an additional 15 minutes for it to arrive. All of our meals arrived resting in pools of bright yellow oil, regardless of whether it was veggies and rice, or stuffed tofu. At least, I hope it was oil - my husband and I are both vegan, and have been suffering with upset stomachs since last night's dinner. The forgotten entree, ratatouille, was the only plate that arrived looking appetizing.

We had to hunt down the waiter for more water, more bread, and to pay our check - which, by the way, we were not offered a discount on for our inconvenience. We only had a party of four, and as best I could tell, there weren't more than two other small tables seated at the time. I hate to review a restaurant poorly that tries to accommodate vegan guests, but this was such an unpleasant experience I felt others should be warned.

I only hope that Everybody's Cafe takes notice of these bad reviews and returns to their previous quality - I would love to be able to eat there again. For now though, the food is DEFINITELY not worth the prices they are charging.

Pros: Vegan options clearly marked
Cons: Oily food, Poor service, Low value for the money
patrickwatx
patrickwatx

Absolutely horrible

1 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2012

Someone recommended this restaurant so I tried it out. The service was terrible. I had to get up twice to get my server to get service. When my meal was served (Sauteed mushrooms and asst veggies with rice), the food was so covered in oil and tasteless that I could barely eat any. I ended up draining almost a quarter cup of oil (not water) from the veggies while at the restaurant. I decided to take the veggies to go so as not to waste and drained almost as much oil from them once I got back. I did not know so much oil could be held by a dish.
Also, some of the veggies were overcooked and some were undercooked. Definitely will not return and will tell people I know not to go there.

Pros: none
Cons: bad food, poor service
COACH HASS
COACH HASS

Great food

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

This estaurant has a great selection of vegetarian, and smaller selection of vegan food. The food is plentiful and very tasty. I went here last year on our way back from vacation and we went out of our way to eat there again this year on our return from vacation.

Pros: healthy, friendly staff, excellent food

jleach
jleach

love this place

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

This is my new favorite place to eat. It has a very large menu with many options for me as well as meat options for my husband. The victorian building is charming and the service is great.

Pros: good food, nice staff, charming
Cons: souffle not really a souffle, eggplant rollatine without ricotta
aeclarke
aeclarke

Our favorite place!

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

My husband and I went here for the first time a few years ago and have loved it ever since! There are so many choices for both vegetarians and "meat-eaters" a like. We take "new people" here all the time and everyone says how great it is and how big the portion sizes are! The restaurant is located in a old Victorian-style house and the atmosphere is just amazing. Plus, there are easily over 500 menu choices so everyone will walk away happy! Even my brother in-law from San Fransisco compared it to top notch restaurants down in California!

Pros: Menu selection, atmosphere
Cons: no website!
Zostar
Zostar

Huge Portions!

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2009

The menu is extensive, but the vegan options are limited. The portions are huge - my husband and I could only finish about half of our dishes, and we didn't order appetizers. The food was very good, and the atmosphere is enjoyable. We dined outdoors, on the front porch.
We would definitely consider returning for another vegan meal.

Pros: Friendly staff, Ambience, Good food
Cons: Need more vegan options
  • Zostar Zostar

Went back for lunch today, and I ordered something I've never had on the vast menu. Besides waiting a good 10 minutes after my three dining partners got their meal, mine finally came and it was inedible. I ordered a falafel and spinach burger with plantains, beans, etc. It was smothered in fra diabla sauce and was way too hot for my taste. Nowhere on the menu did it mention a word about that.

mars
mars

Our local joint

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2007

I posted a review of Everybody's about 2 years ago, but don't know what happened.

Anyway, they are better. The place is beautiful and reasonably priced. The spicy dishes are not very spicy, so ask for more heat. The lentil burger is great. The martinis are not.

We take everyone there and they love it, carnivores and omnivores. Watch the combo foods. They are a mound of veggies with different sauces. I prefer something more than a stir-fry with a sauce. You can get wild rice with entrees instead of white. Ask. The soups are very good,as well as the salads.

Our last dinner was not great. Since asparagus was in season, I asked for it as a substitute. I was charged $4 for 3 spears. I sent it back. This was unusual. Heretofore, they had been very accommodating. The stuffed tofu dish with a marsala sauce is excellent. The portions are very large.

There is no child menu or child portions, so bring your own crayons.

The local wines are fab and I recommend you visiting the winery, (Sorrento's)about a 20 minute drive from the restaurant. The iced tea specials are very good.

I didn't know they had vegan desserts. I'll have to give it a try.

Pros: Beautiful victorian house, large menu, local wines
Cons: can be oily, slow service, not very spicy
Dena
Dena

gourmet vegan food

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2007

While this restaurant is not by any means vegetarian, vegans and vegetarians will find plenty of things to eat at Everybody's Cafe. There is an extensive vegetarian section of the menu with vegan items clearly labeled. The vegan dishes we ordered were delicious and beautifully presented. The restaurant, atmosphere, and food all felt very elegant and gourmet. The prices were appropriate to the portions served and quality of the food. Staff was very knowledgeable about veg dining. We look forward to returning to this restaurant in the future.

Pros: many vegan options, building and atmosphere
Cons: serves meat

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Everybody's Cafe: