Everlasting Life changed its name to Evolve in mid-2014. Offers a classic southern, soul food approach with a menu of veggies and proteins, alcohol and dessert. The space is modern with high ceilings, a bar area and concrete floors coupled with art and ambient music. Located near the Metro, short walk from exit of Takoma Park Metro. Menu has mac and cheese, collards, green beans, chik'n, 'fish,' and tofu dishes in the slow cooked and battered style of southern kitchen. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Soul food, Southern, Beer/Wine
Now Open

Mon-Wed 12:00pm-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm

First Review by cookiem
madamstriga
madamstriga

Easy and delicious!

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2015

Just ate at Evolve for the first time. When we arrived we were told that the kitchen was closed, but after a loud "oh no!" escaped my lips the waitress said she would squeeze us in. So, be advised the kitchen closes an hour before the bar does! The menu was simple - choose a main item and 1 or 2 sides. There was also a couple of specials, sandwiches and dessert. My friend and I both went with the first option. I had the chickun drum sticks, mac-n-cheese, and tuna salad. The drumsticks were super delicious and served with a mild mustard-ish sauce (I'm not exactly sure what it was but I liked it more than most mustard sauce). The mac-n-cheese seemed a little bland at first bite, but then totally won me over - it had a really great savory flavor. The tuna salad was mostly carrot based, also really good. The meal was excellent and fast, and our sever was very nice. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the house red wine. I would highly recommend this place, and getting a beer :)

Pros: really tasty food, easy menu with plenty of options, good value and service
Cons: the house red wine wasn't for me
Fit_Fathers
Fit_Fathers

Meatless Monday at Evolve

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2015

Purity at Evolve — The kids very much enjoyed their organic stir fry with a cadre of sea vegetables, tofu and cashew sauce over brown rice during a recent visit to Evolve Vegan Restaurant in Takoma Park, Maryland. It was the perfect fuel after a long workout. Eat clean! ‪

Pros: Array of options, bowls are magnificent
Cons: not keen on fake meats
HappyToo
HappyToo

Poor Cooking and Service

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2015

The"shrimp" fried rice was cooked to crunchy. Further, it was drizzled with Sriracha sauce. The "shrimp" is identical to frozen konjac products.
The citrus fruit cleanser was harshly acidic and undrinkable.
The waiter when he finally came back to the table, comped the drink and charged half price for the meal.
It is lovely, nice art and furniture. The sound level is typical bar= loud.
Yummiest German chocolate cake.

Pros: Decor
Cons: Cooking, Wait Staff

jlbco
jlbco

Knock-Your-Socks-Off GREAT!

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2014

My wife & I discovered this place by accident when visiting relatives in Takoma Park. Why this address comes up listed in Washington, DC is anybody's guess— it's right next to the Takoma Park "Metro" train station, and for all intent and practical purposes, it's in TAKOMA PARK, MD. Whenever the next time is we'll be visiting again, we will be back there in a heartbeat. The food was so good that we ordered two more meals as take-out to have "on the road" for our drive home to CT the next day.

Straight-up VEGAN with a wonderful, diverse (albeit modest) menu— even some of the things that seemed common (like the Mac & Cheese, for instance) were fantastic. Great ambiance with high ceilings and a full bar. Reasonable prices, too. If you're veg or vegan, and you're anywhere near the DC area, this place is a MUST!

Pros: Wonderful food, Convenient location, Reasonably priced
cookiem
cookiem

Welcome back to DC EL!!!!

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

Hello Everlasting Life, and thank you for coming back to the District! In fact, thank you for coming back to a location that is RIGHT on the Metro! Thank you for coming back right near where other vegan-friendly places are located and for being the standout 100% vegan restaurant! YES!

Ok, that's enough of that. The people are awesome and nice, there's a bar, high ceilings, concrete floors, some artwork, modern space and trendy restaurant feel. It's better than the old one in decor and ambiance. Good for food or for a date for those who aren't veg yet…. :)

As for the food - c'mon, y'all know what to expect. They may be shaking out the kinks as they take over this space, but you know it's good. YES, it's good.

Order some sides only like mac and cheese or collards greens for about $10, or 3 for $12… or throw in some sides to an entree for $15 or just one side for a bit less. The entrees are bbq, country fried, fish-like meat substitutes that are battered or stewed. Quite tasty, yes. The sides are amazing, and I can't wait to go back again.

Save room for dessert, because they have their own desserts - or from local bakeries… but soon, they should have a vegan bakery about ½ mile away! The coconut cake was a bit crumbly but the chocolate cake with vanilla frosting was standard fare. For now, dessert Tuesdays gets you dessert for $5, which is $1 off most slices (cheesecake and triple chocolate too).

They say soon they will have brunch on the weekends, but just wait for it.

I would love to see some more choices, but I imagine that'll happen soon enough - maybe some salads, some veggie entrees, and… more dessert?! Rotate in some new sides maybe…. like sweet potatoes, squashes (they have a carrot salad)… add in a few more raw choices? Who cares though, I love them!

Although the price is a bit high, I understand why, and for being 100% vegan and Everlasting Life, I will pay it! Yay! Can't wait to go back!

Pros: 100% Vegan, You know it's good, Southern vegan food
Cons: Price slightly high, Menu is slightly small

Dear Owner and Manager of Evolve: