CLOSED: Evergreen...

Traditional Chinese vegetarian near Prince Edward MTR Exit B1. Menu is mostly vegan, and egg dishes are marked. Busy at lunchtime and early evening. Clean space with modern decor. Has English menu. Reported closed to HappyCow, Sep 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by Jagruti Mistry
walkingvegan
walkingvegan

Lots of mock meat

4 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

I've been there around 7pm and it was not crowded. The menu is almost creepy because they use a lot of "pork", "chicken", "fish" with no "fake" in the side. :p
Staff didn't speak english very well, so it was a little bit difficult to understand what was vegan. They were friendly though.
Food was good with a moderate price.
More at: http://walkingvegan.com/evergreen-vegetarian-hong-kong/

Pros: easy to find, mock meat, English menu
Cons: Vegan dishes not marked, No English Spoken
Eric_
Eric_

Amazing food

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

Best food I had in Hong Kong, worth a trip from wherever you're staying! Not sure what I ate, but I got some kind of bamboo "bowl" with mockmeat, mushrooms and lots of ginger. Delicious! The (tiny) restaurant itself was packed though, so the environment was a bit stressful.

Pros: Delicious food, Location
Cons: Price, Cramped place
Tee
Tee

Fit for a Prince

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

The small, but comfortable restaurant has really tasty dishes. I have visited twice now. There is a discount from 3-5pm during the week. The best soup I have tried so far is the coconut soup, served in a coconut shell. The service is ok, but I have never been there without my Chinese friend to translate for me, and there is the added bonus of her aunty working there, so I can't say what its like alone. Its clean and meals come out fairly quickly. The tables are small so you need to eat fast to keep everything fitting on them. I like eating here although some items are rather oily, but there is a lot of taste, so the spices must help digestion somewhat. The tea is interesting, and keeps coming.

rahulgarg
rahulgarg

Not that great

2 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

After reading some of the reviews, I was looking forward to a great dinner here. Following an earlier lunch at the Three Virtues Restaurant at Jordan (see my review), however, this place was a bit of a disappointment.

My Fried Rice with Olive and Ube pieces tasted fine, I suppose, but I wouldn't call it yummy. And I probably hurt the friendly lady by deciding I couldn't eat her boiled fruit (?) dessert after one spoonful. Also if you are into ambience, you probably won't find it here.

Not hard to reach: take exit A at Price Edward, and walk along Playing Field and then turn right at Fa Yuen. It is a couple of restaurants down.

Inexpensive: HK$ 42 for the Fried Rice and HK$ 6 for the green tea with pickled cherry tomatoes (?) appetizer. But so, I think, is Three Virtues.

Pros: Easy to reach, Inexpensive, Friendly staff
Cons: Three Virtues better in every respect.
Nora74
Nora74

Great food

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2010

This place is one of my favorite veg restaurants. The portions are big, and delicious. I love the fried rice dishes as well as the greens with ginger. I have tried some of the fake meat dishes. Never been disappointed. I highly recommend Evergreen.

Pros: English menu
mushroomeater666
mushroomeater666

Best in Hong Kong!

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2009

This was very, very yummy. I don't know why this place doesn't have more rave reviews. We (party of two) had the Sweet Fish appetizer, which was a delicious cold dish. The fish was done well and the sauce wasn't actually too sweet or heavy.

We then split two main dishes. The first was absolutely amazing. Some of the best mock meat we've had in a while. It was called Zhenjiang Ribs or something along these lines. It came with real wood skewers and was in sort of a tangy sauce with pineapples.

The last dish was called some kind of duck, but it was actual mushrooms stuffed inside tofu skin in a light broth. Again, totally delicious.

The total bill for this, plus two rice and a drink, was 175 HK dollar. The portions were big and totally satifying.

Go here!

orchid53
orchid53

Delicious

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2009

i really enjoyed the food here and so did my omni friend. We had hot pot with meatballs and another fake meat dish that I'm totally blanking on. I went back another time and had a fake fish dish and thought that was pretty good as well. This place was packed on a Friday night. Definitely worth checking out.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: very busy
Tabby
Tabby

Refreshingly Stylish with Great Food

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2009

My husband and I dined at the Evergreen today and we were really impressed. Having dined at other Faux meat restaurants in Hong Kong, I think by far this is the best. The chef uses a light hand making the food not too salty and heavily flavoured and the portions were generous and some were nicely presented in pretty dishes. Of note from what we ordered: Sauteed Pea Shoots that were light and fresh, Fish with Sweet Sauce made of wheat gluten that was surpisingly good for faux meat and well presented, and an Eggplant and Tofu Hot Pot that was delicious also. The tea that came with the meal was a Japanese Genmaicha that was hot, fresh, and perfectly steeped. For dessert you should try the Cashew Pudding that was light as air, with a texture something like a zabaglione but since it was vegan there was no heavy or cloying aftertaste. There are English descriptions on the menu with some photos but unfortunately the special menu was only available in Cantonese and no one there spoke any English at all. A pity since there were probably many worthwhile dishes to explore. If we had been really hungry and adventurous we should have just pointed to something and taken our chances - the greatest luxury of a vegetarian restaurant! Out of the 4 vegetarian restaurants we've been to in Hong Kong this was by far the most presentable and the one that you could bring your veggiephobic friends to. Definitely no need to apologise for the decor, bright lights or cleanliness here.

Pros: Decor, Quality of Food, Location
Cons: No English Spoken, Staff a bit Aloof, Not Enough Desserts
Jagruti Mistry
Jagruti Mistry

Nice place!

4 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

I ate at this place recently. There is a wide variety of food on offer and the menu is in english. The food is tasty and I recommend giving it ago.

Pros: tasty, clean, menu in english
Cons: speak no english

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Evergreen Vegetarian Restaurant: