Evergreen Vegetarian and Ca...

Veg restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, dinner. A set meal includes rice, noodle, hot pot soup, and drink. Many vegan options. Directions: Located behind Norton University and in front of Sharky Bar. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Khmer

• Cash only

First Review by simpsonyellow
Kings Of Vagabonds
Kings Of Vagabonds

great food, great selection, CHEAP!

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2015

We have already been to this place twice since arriving here and tomorrow we will return for at least 1 more delicious meal!

Every time we leave from the restaurant we feel pleasantly full, happy and healthy.

They have a good range of this to order and the price is right.

Anyone who is a budget minded vegetarian should check it out.

Pros: good price, good range, fresh garnishes
Cons: no beer served
Ellie143
Ellie143

Have the soup!

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2015

At $1.75 you can't really go too wrong with having the noodle soup. It's a large portion and although doesn't contain many vegetables the soup is very good. During my time in Phnom Penh I came back here 3 times for they're extensive menu. The waitress actually asked me when ordering if I ate egg which was great as I didn't realise the pad thai would contain it, they are very accommodating They are all very friendly and serve free tea as soon as you sit down. They have various special dishes served on particular days as well as an extensive menu served every day from 6:30am

Cboyer13
Cboyer13

not bad for price

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2014

No frills place, not the tastiest, but not terrible. $2 for a plate of noodles with veggies and tofu or seitan. Staff speak little English, just make sure you don't get egg if you're vegan. Overall, not bad.

philina
philina

very good food for very good prices

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2014

During our 3 days in phnom penh we ate at this place 6 times! Staff was really friendly, food was fresh, everything we tried was really tasty, prices are very low.

Pros: good quality and low prices, easy to find , friendly staff
Jeane
Jeane

Good restaurant

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2014

Vegetarian restaurant, but you can ask for a vegan version of their dishes. MSG-free.
Menu in English. Daily special dish.
They offer free hot tea.
I had a dumpling soup with vegetable (2$). It was delicious although the pasta envelop of the dumplings were overcooked and just crumbled in the soup.

Pros: very tasty, easy to find
mkpurvis
mkpurvis

Good selection

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

We ate here several times and enjoyed the food. If you are like me and like mock meat, you will find a wide selection of choices. Overall, a good place to eat in Phnom Penh.

Pros: Good selection of mock meat options
sharklovergirl
sharklovergirl

Hole in the wall

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

Others mentioned it was a hole in the wall with great food but we didn't agree. We had the phat Thai which my partner said was recommended on the net, as well as a few other dishes and nothing was overly pleasing. The place was stuffy and I felt really uncomfortable being in there too. But the prices were good and if I was in that area Id probably go there for a cheap meal, but wouldn't go out of my way to get there.

Pros: prices
Cons: atmosphere
Vegan8
Vegan8

Great food and great people!

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

I have been eating here often for the passed 4 months. If you don't like fake meat then there's less to choose from, but the choices are great. My favourite is the Phat Thai; vegans make sure to ask for no egg. All items on the menu with egg are shown in the pictures except for Phat Thai because it is mixed in. Other favourites are fresh spring rolls, gyoza, dumpling soup, pineapple fried rice. The staff are helpful and friendly!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Excellent food
Cons: Serves egg
Atomicpen
Atomicpen

nice restaurant

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

They spoke good English. The menu was diverse and I enjoyed my meal

RAMONATHEBUS
RAMONATHEBUS

low key place, nice people

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

ate a few times with my girlfriend and found the food to be fresh and tasty and very reasonably priced, they even stayed open for us one day at lunch. mostly locals and a few tourist, fairly easy to find, just a couple blocks from the main tourist drag on the water. would recommend

Pros: good value, good prices, nice staff
LM
LM

my go-to veg place in PP

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

I'm a regular here when in PP as it's by far the best deal in town. Prices are half what you'd pay in tourist-oriented restaurants in town. You can get a set meal with a main entree, a side dish, rice, soup, tea, and fruit for $2.50. Set meal changes daily and is the best choice on the menu most of the time. Arrive on the early side if possible since they often run out of some items.

Friendly owners who are genuinely interested in providing healthy, delicious veg food. English, Cambodian and Chinese spoken.

The food doesn't usually knock my socks off like what they can do at Khmer Surin or Malis (non-veg restaurants that can prepare veg food), but it is tasty enough, and the portion sizes are good.

The owner actually designs her own recipes and developed her own veggie burger and several other dishes on the menu. They make some of their own fake-meat products, including the veg burger, in house.

They'll make their blended drinks with soy milk instead of regular milk on request. The drinks are great.

Most of the menu is traditional Cambodian food done vegan. Very few items on the menu have eggs in them. Japanese veg food also available.

Closes briefly between lunch and dinner time.

Seats can fill up. Call in advance to reserve a table if going with a group of 6 or more.

No smoking.

Within walking distance from the New Market and the waterfront area.

Pros: cheap, lots of vegan options, traditional Cambodian food
Cons: sometimes run out of some items, some staff don't speak much English
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Hole in the wall dive with best food in Phnom Penh

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

From the looks of the place, you may not expect much, but surprisingly, all the dishes were winners. We had a Vietnamese sandwhich. The mockmeat was weak and the baguette could have been stronger, but the spread more than made up for the rest of the sandwich. The hamburger was a real treat.

Pros: easy to find, good food, daily specials are a good value
Cons: lacks ambience, place needs a cleaning
Frankie G
Frankie G

Evergreen Vegetarian House

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2012

A few words to say how much I enjoyed eating at the beautiful Evergreen Vegetarian House with air con. Located in the heart of Phnom Penh and just two blocks from the vibrant River Side.Actually I ate there most days for two and a half months. The service was excellent,food always fresh with generous servings and prices very affordable.Needless to say,I am looking forward to eating there when I return .I highly recommend their Pat Thai at 2.00 a dish.

earthville
earthville

Quality and variety for a reasonable price

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

We didn't mind walking quite a ways from our hotel to eat at Evergreen several times during our 2011 visit.

Great food, good selection, friendly proprietors, and quite reasonable prices considering the quality.

Recommended.

iamere
iamere

top choice

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

We have been staying in Phnom Penh for 2 weeks, and this is our top choice. We eat here pretty much every day, not just because it happens to be on the same road as the aid organisation we work for (CHOICE - outside Shiva shack at the river end of the road - look it up), but also because it's a top spot to eat and nice and cool inside.
The staff have a good understanding of veganism though only a couple of them speak English. That didn't matter though as what they offer in smiles equals anything said in words.

There is absolutely loads to choose from and I loved each and every selection. Cost is not an issue here. We both ate breakfast for around 12,000 Riel (US$3) and for dinner, we spent around US$6/8. For the food you get, it's very good value.

I'm on my way there as soon as I send this...
Yum!!!

Pros: top service, very fast food, lots of tasty choices
Nibbler13
Nibbler13

Delicious

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

A great place with friendly people. They stayed open for us after we missed the lunch cut off and they had put up a sign. We ate 3 meals there and loved everone. We asked for a to go box of the " bacon" for the bus and were able to make sandwiches on the trip to ho chi min city. Very inexpensive.

Pros: Choice, Atmosphere, Nice people
Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

Thumbs-up for Evergreen

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2011

Clean simple place with excellent food. The Pad Thai, for $2, had a variety of mock meats so this was a tasty dish with lots of interesting tastes and textures. I have also had the noodles with intestines (but don't worry, it's just seitan). Also very tasty and in the same price range. Just watch out for the red peppers if you don't like hot. The food was excellent and the place is a great value. I had pineapple milkshake for $1. Tasted fresh and smooth.

Pros: great food, nice variety, genuinely inexpensive
kuopiolainen
kuopiolainen

As it seemed yesterday

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2011

A small place (5 x 4 seats) with 20+ dishes and many fake meat options. Some of the options were almost the same, the other one was with and the other without egg. All portions were cheap starting from 1,5 USD (or even cheaper?), and the value was good. The menu we were given only contained food portions; we got a tee pot in the beginning and no other drinks were offered - maybe just because we didn't ask (because we didn't find them from the menu). The tee didn't cost anything.

There were not too many customers around 11-12 o'clock. The location is good, and the place was easy to find with happy cow instructions; the house numbers at the 130 street seemed to be logical, though we didn't notice Norton University or Sharky Bar. The Fatboy Sub & Sandwich Shop mentioned in the Lonely Planet was right across the street.

Staff was friendly enough, though it's hard to say how good their English was as they didn't speak much.

The food was good and the portions we got were normal in size. The athmosphere could have been nicer, as the place seemed more like a lunch cafeteria than a restaurant. The amount of fake meat options (or fake shrimp etc.)also disturbed me a bit. The overall experience, however, was good, as the value of the place was fairly good. If I was looking for a cheap place around the area, I could go back as well.

Pros: value, location
Cons: non-atmospheric, too many fake meat options
geckobranko
geckobranko

Good and cheap food

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

A nice restaurant with good and cheap food (prices starts from 1,25 dollar). Only asian food: noodles and rice dishes with fake-meat.

Pros: Cheap, Clean, Location
Cons: Only asian food
tash
tash

...

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2010

firstly, this place isn't completely vegan as a couple of the dishes (almost pointlessly) come with a fried egg on top...
..but otherwise it is about 90% vegan and really really tasty, cheap and the portion sizes are good. the soups are huge, even for our greedy bellies. i would highly recommend the dumpling soup too, totally delicious. the owner was lovely too; we wanted some food to take away after our meal for our train journey the next day and she offered to sell us packets of mock meat/fish to make into sandwiches. you should ask to see them, one actually looks like a whole fish!! weird.
she mentioned that they also cater for weddings and showed us some pictures which looked amazing, incase you're planning on getting married in that area!

Pros: tasty, good portions, cheap
Cons: none
simpsonyellow
simpsonyellow

Great Food. Excellent Lunch Spot

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2010

A great little addition to Phnom Penh's slowly growing list of vegetarian restaurants.

Mainly Taiwanese/Chinese cuisine, with noodle and rice dishes forming the basis of the menu. There are also quite a few interesting faux meat options, including artificial goose and artificial intestines!

Most dishes range from 4 - 7,000 riel (USD 1.00 - 1.25) and are pretty satisfying. They also do some great drinks at around 3,000 riel each (e.g. peanut milk tea).

I'd definitely recommend the set meal for 10,000 riel ($2.50). The last set meal I had included a delicious soup/curry, steamed rice with a small serve of faux seafood, a tofu stir fry, and a coconut milk and ice dessert with sweet beans. Delicious! The set meal dishes change on a daily basis, but the ones I've had have all been great value and tasty.

The restaurant is clean, nicely decorated, and has friendly staff.

[edited by staff] as far as the food goes, but it's a nicer restaurant in a much better location, and is a great lunch stop.

I'd normally give Evergreen a bit over 4 happy cows but, given the lack of good veg*n restaurants in Phnom Penh, I'll give it five.

Pros: Good food with great set meal, Nice new, clean restaurant, Nice staff
Cons: Menu a bit limited

Dear Owner and Manager of Evergreen Vegetarian and Cafe House: